Author Topic: Supreme among FS2 Mods  (Read 7125 times)

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
Supreme among FS2 Mods
You've probably seen me posting a lot here.  Yes, I'm the new guy.  I've been stalking..err, watching things around here for 3 years, and now have decided to join the fun.  I only regret I didn't arrive sooner.

I came across Inferno, which I consider supreme among the mods (not total conversions) of Freespace 2, in November 2002.  I was getting tired of the original FS2 (gasp!), and decided to do some random surfing on the subject.  In my travels, I came across a seemingly unimportant site called "Blackwater Operations" (God, was I stupid.  If anyone from BWO is watching, I am so sorry!!).  Anyway, the link to Inferno caught my attention, and when I clicked on it, my mind was blown.  New ships, everywhere!  The age of FS2 boredom was at an end.

You guys gave me a reason to keep playing FS2.  On par with TBP, this is the mod I pay attention to the most, though I love 'em both.  I know its been two years since R1, and I don't really care.  I'm willing to wait as long as possible for the next one.  I have time.  Keep up the good work, Inferno!!  I salute you.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
If someone told us 3 years ago that we would get over 15000 downloads (no I didn't add to many 0s :p ) I would of said they're nuts :D

What started as a single persons little mod in 2001 with just a few crappy reskins using a hex editor is now the biggest continuation of the FS2 storyline.

We've come a long way since then, and the current mod is far better than R1.

Offline Osiri

Hey I too have been stalking the people here for a while.  Actually since before you.  About 4 or 5 years.  God all the time stalking.  

This is one of the best mods.  I liked this one and BWO of course.  
TBP is not so much my thing since not Babylon fan(never got to watch the show. :(

Anyhow I hope to be stalking you all for many years to come.
Got any patentable ideas?  Got $20K laying around.  I will need every penny to help you.

Offline Osiri

Man you gotta love when you post something and the thread dies utterly.

Notice the 6 day gap
Got any patentable ideas?  Got $20K laying around.  I will need every penny to help you.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You know, I'm gonna get murdered for this, but Inferno was the most true to FS of the mods and campaigns that I've played.

Not the canon. The ethos, the feel. Playing R1 had the same kind of feel as you got from playing FS1 or FS2.

*warps out fast* :warp:
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Inferno is great.

Only prob is the same that is a problem with most of scifi any way: Enemies always have a new superweapon waiting around the corner (perhaps one of the most used plots). I personnally didn't like it in FS2 and i didn't like it in Inferno. But apart from that the Inferno, particulary the feeling, really rocks!
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
We never really got to use our super weapons the last time :D

• Trayus no more.
Yes... I suspect the Shivans have some Subspace based OMGWTF weapon waiting for us in R2 (Other than the Vinaashak's main gun).  Maybe that's what the Gargant's for.  And Wanderer, I know it sounds cheesy, but superweapons are critical pieces of sci-fi. That's what makes my jaw drop in this mod other than ships: weapons, especially the big ones.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Table wise the Icanus cannon is the strongest weapon. However the subspace weapons were designed to be controlled by the mission designer, so their destructive power is only limited by what we will do with them. I've been testing the Gigas subspace weapon for a new use and have the effect close to what I require. It looks really good :)

• Trayus no more.
Originally posted by Woomeister
Table wise the Icanus cannon is the strongest weapon.

Really?  I would have thought that at the Gargant's apparent size, it would have at LEAST 4 weapons of equal power to the Icanus'.  Seems I overestimated what it is capable of.

Offline Darius

He might mean the cannon itself is stronger than any single cannon the Shivans/GTVA possess. So a Gargant may have multiple Shivan cannons, the net result makes it much more powerful than the Icanus.

Which is interesting...traditionally Shivan beams are stronger and faster to fire than their Terran counterparts right?

Is the Icanus beam basically like the other EA beams, but of monstrous proportions?

• Trayus no more.
Yes. Basically a very large and powerful silver beam. I've seen it slice through about six or seven Sathanas and old-Amritaya juggernaughts at once. According to its file, it was originally designed for planetary assault.

On a side note, I think that cannon should have a name, like the Reflex Cannon on Robotech (I've never really seen the series). Just a thought. I think Albedo Cannon sounds nice.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
It does have a name:
Her primary weapon, the so-called 'Punisher' cannon, can deliver an instantly-killing blow to any warship, while her gigantic railguns and beam cannons eliminate lesser threats.

That's a bit of the Icanus tech entry.

It can instantly destroy any warship of Juggernaught class or below.

Will we be able to see it in action in a few months? ;7

• Trayus no more.
I think Woomeister's gonna answer that as he always does: It will be ready when its ready :).

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by NeoBasilisk
Will we be able to see it in action in a few months? ;7

If the missions are done, yes, if not, no.

There's not much left to do except missions.

Originally posted by Woomeister
I've been testing the Gigas subspace weapon for a new use and have the effect close to what I require. It looks really good :)

I know what he's talking about :D

Anyways, from the first time I played through Inferno I always regarded it as FS3 in my books, it simply works in that respect.

R2 is progressing along really nicely, and will be completely independent of FS2 so even more people can experience it!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by SuperCoolAl

I know what he's talking about :D

Great being in on the inside isn't it? :D

Oh yes... ;)