Author Topic: Hi-poly Hecate (taking initiative)  (Read 16859 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hi-poly Hecate (taking initiative)
This is my texture job on Raven's HTL Hecate. I wasn't all that happy with it at first, but apparently all I had to do was put it down for a few hours and come back.

Untextured model, showing map distribution.

Comments welcome of course.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:16:33 pm by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
You suk.

...in the most incredible, amazingly talented way imaginable, of course!

I think I know what you mean, though. There are some large, smooth surfaces that are just begging for some window greebling. Overall, though, I'd say that's as good as it can get with the model at hand. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fenrir

• ?
That. In my game. NOW.

In all seriousness, I really can't think of what needs to be improved. I agree with you that there's just a little something that's off somehow, but I can't quite place it. I think it might be the green-to-tan coloring in some spots, but the original was like that too I'm pretty sure (hard to tell since the thing was only ever outside a Nebula once or so in the main FS2 campaign :nervous: ). Regardless, a pre-you-fixing-the-textures-to-your-liking release would be most welcome.

[Unrelated note] What's with the narrow message input box for this forum?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:39:10 am by 2005 »

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Tone of the textures is too green in some areas - especially the front. The green tiles are too 'unbroken', as compared to the original...or are those the original...can't really tell - cant exactly remember :/

Anyways, here is an image of the old one, for comparision's sake.

"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Is the map on the top of the nose from the Colossus?  If so, it's slightly the wrong color.  Should be more brown.  The big C's pallate doesn't mesh well with many other capship maps IMHO.  Don't let that stop you from releasing it, but don't be suprised if I re-tint the map and make a minor update.

Otherwise, looks great.  The Hecate is tough to judge without turrets, so maybe that's what's throwing everyone off.  Add in the canon ones and lets see how it looks :nod:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:58:14 am by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well there we go. All I needed was a more complete model from Raven with the appropriate greebles, and the turrets. Renders have been updated with the new progress. I've also added a nameplate where it should go.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I knew turrets would make the ship.  Fantastic!
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
wow, I can never look at the old model again!!
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Get that thing in the MediaVPs ASAP :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
That might take a while.

Can we get this hilighted, in the meantime?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Pretty awesome :yes:

The only thing that could be better, is the windows/lights texture. It's too blurry and random for my tastes.
Could use a little more horizontal definition, as in deck->windows->deck->etc.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
It'll look better with the Media VP's hi res maps and glowmaps.

It'll look even better on my computer, ingame.

Hint. Hint.

;)
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Oh.. so is that using tiles? When i was mapping it i was going for a skin..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 09:48:11 pm by 2073 »
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
IMO the main texture on the head is too low-res. Either increase the tiling in a non-horrid way, or increase the detailing on that map.

IMO. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Hmm... can we see how it looks with raven's "modified" wing turrets?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Originally posted by Galemp
Can we get this hilighted, in the meantime?
It's b0rked - as you may have noticed with the huge error there presently. :p
Besides, you should've posted this or a link to this in FS modding. ;)

In regards to the ship, some parts I like, some parts (like the bendy & wiggly plates on the prow and other bits) I'm not too fond of. Metal plating on such a curvey model is always problematic.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I'm gonna revise the mapping on the face, around the sides of the head, on the underside of the engines, and on the two towers on the rear. I probably won't get to it for another week, though.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
MMMmmmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmm

That's it. Awesome :yes:

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
For some reason the box laser turrets are niggling at the back of my mind. All of this detail and yet those are still boxes...

Hrmm... ;)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock