Author Topic: "This is Lt. Ash, Terran Patrol, Wing Gamma, 3-9...  (Read 72539 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: "This is Lt. Ash, Terran Patrol, Wing Gamma, 3-9...
Dude, clipping is on every ship. Besides, it's not a big thing, so no one will be fixing it anytime soon. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

It's only an eyesore on ships that have recessed engines, like Myrmidon and Apollo and several capships.  I don't think it's ever been 'fixed'.  It'd be nice if it was... but then it'd be nice to have post-shaders too. ;)

Then again, I'd set the Poseidon thrusters properly if I knew how.  There are a few ships with poorly done thrusters (ie, doesn't even fill the textured thruster).  It would be 'fully sick' if they were corrected.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
By thruster, do you mean the modelled thruster cones, or the glowing plume that the game draws on the model?

If its the latter, its simple to edit with PCS.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

I... don't... know? :S  The circular corona-bit: it clips through the hull on several ships.  Is that the easy-to-fix part?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
its the latter

as for envs, well, all i'd do on this is the cockpit really, maybe really light, and with some noise on the dark gray parts of the ship, a little brighter on the 'painted' parts, and none on the white parts

just open up the shinemap, and do that on the alpha channel, its pretty simple
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Nothing major or anything, but I thought I should point this out here. The red lights on the Apollo don't show up in the more recent builds, including RC1, RC2, and Taylor's Y-Targeting fix. The last build that I was able to obtain with working red lights is Karajorma's 5/17 build. Not a big deal or anything, but I was just wondering what changes in the builds has caused this to occur. Thanks.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Nothing major or anything, but I thought I should point this out here. The red lights on the Apollo don't show up in the more recent builds, including RC1, RC2, and Taylor's Y-Targeting fix. The last build that I was able to obtain with working red lights is Karajorma's 5/17 build. Not a big deal or anything, but I was just wondering what changes in the builds has caused this to occur. Thanks.
Not surprising, considering that the reg_glow.tga file looks something like this to the game:

(ie, it's fully transparent)

One of these days people will stop using those broken graphics programs and this won't be an issue anymore.  You can open it (in a graphics app that doesn't suck ass) and resave it as a 24-bit TGA, or 24-bit DDS (DXT1c or RGB8), and it should work ok once more.  I don't think that anything in the builds has changed to break this, those images never worked right in the first place.  RC2 and newer might show it with a black square if it's still 32-bit, and doesn't have inverted alpha like it does now, but that's not an issue for RC1.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Does gimp suck ass?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Does gimp suck ass?
Hope not, 'cause that's what I use. :D

Thanks Taylor, the lights are visible again.

Not surprising, considering that the reg_glow.tga file looks something like this to the game:

(ie, it's fully transparent)

One of these days people will stop using those broken graphics programs and this won't be an issue anymore.  You can open it (in a graphics app that doesn't suck ass) and resave it as a 24-bit TGA, or 24-bit DDS (DXT1c or RGB8), and it should work ok once more.  I don't think that anything in the builds has changed to break this, those images never worked right in the first place.  RC2 and newer might show it with a black square if it's still 32-bit, and doesn't have inverted alpha like it does now, but that's not an issue for RC1.

Would it be possable for someone to give me a resaved version of that TGA file as im having difficulty doing it myself.  Resaving it didn't do anything for me.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I'll mail one to you

update

Wow! DXT1 and DXT5 have horrible compression artifacts! Is it just the gimp or am I being an idiot? And why does it start another program every time I open up a DDS?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 01:13:32 pm by Mars »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Damn, don't use the file I sent you, it's broken (not that I can figure out why)

Actually, just use the Red_glow.dds

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Wow! DXT1 and DXT5 have horrible compression artifacts! Is it just the gimp or am I being an idiot?
The compression quality, via the GIMP DDS plugin, is directly linked to your video card/driver quality.  That plugin uses your video card to do the conversion to DDS so if your card/drivers aren't very good at the compression aspect then the quality of those images will suffer.  If it's not good enough then you should be able to use NVIDIA's nvdxt command line tool to convert from TGA into DDS with minimal quality loss.

And why does it start another program every time I open up a DDS?
What do you mean?  Your question is rather vague.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken