Author Topic: Inferno/FS2 Retail ship switching  (Read 2604 times)

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
Inferno/FS2 Retail ship switching
In my attempt to turn some FS2 Retail ships into Inferno equivalents, as a means of testing if anything else, I get the following error when I did a test by changing only 1 ship type, the Triton freighter, with the Vela freighter:

Error: Can't open file
File:E:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 1543

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

There something I'm not doing that I should be?

When I changed the POF file to the triton's pof, it failed to read properly, unless I  have to go into FRED and alter the ships from there. (My doing so in the past has made it difficult or impossible to continue to the next mission ... and I never touched the mission objectives).

If I keep the POF using the Vela name, I can run FS2 Open and I can load a mission that involved the Triton....when the replaced triton enters the scene, all I can see is the Vela's 4 turrets and nothing else....you can even shoot through where the ship would be and not hit anything. I'm altering the weapons loadout to see if that alleviates the problem but I doubt it...
Or are the textures just not there?

EDIT: Changed the POF to the one for the Triton and  made sure that name was the same for the POF file in the SHIPS.TBL....FS2 Open ran, but still I can only see the 4 turrets.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:52:11 am by 2479 »
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Inferno/FS2 Retail ship switching
Originally posted by EAD_Agamemnon
In my attempt to turn some FS2 Retail ships into Inferno equivalents, as a means of testing if anything else, I get the following error when I did a test by changing only 1 ship type, the Triton freighter, with the Vela freighter:

Error: Can't open file
File:E:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 1543

Call stack:

There something I'm not doing that I should be?

When I changed the POF file to the triton's pof, it failed to read properly, unless I  have to go into FRED and alter the ships from there. (My doing so in the past has made it difficult or impossible to continue to the next mission ... and I never touched the mission objectives).

The first question I'm going to ask is exactly how you have FS2 installed.  A lot of what you describe sounds like file-system oddities.  (What system might be important too, if you're not Windows).  The only reason the Triton might fail is if it's missing altogether, or if you're trying to use it in a way that relies explicitly on certain pof structures being there in the Vela.  More specifically, if you're trying to use it when cargo should be docked, there may be issues in model load at the start of the mission, much like you're running in to here.  And to fix that you would have to edit the mission.

If I keep the POF using the Vela name, I can run FS2 Open and I can load a mission that involved the Triton....when the replaced triton enters the scene, all I can see is the Vela's 4 turrets and nothing else....you can even shoot through where the ship would be and not hit anything. I'm altering the weapons loadout to see if that alleviates the problem but I doubt it...
Or are the textures just not there?

EDIT: Changed the POF to the one for the Triton and  made sure that name was the same for the POF file in the SHIPS.TBL....FS2 Open ran, but still I can only see the 4 turrets.

I'd put money on there being something missing with the textures.  If you moved the inferno VPs to uninstall the mod, that's the problem.  You may also have a rogue table hanging around (try the root level of FS2's directory) that's overriding your attempts to change it.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

When I orginally installled INFERNO, it just put the VPs in my freespace2 folder, and it never gave me trouble when I simply moved those VPs to my FS2 MODS folder where I keep the rest, just waitinfg for me to drag n drop to use a mod. Im looking into the MAPS to see what can be done there.  As for cargo being docked, I didnt think to fix that...I'll try that in a minute. As for rogue TBLs, the only one I have thats in place is the SHIPS.TBL that I'm currently changing to get INFERNO ships into FS2 Retail.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

Okay...tried the textures idea. I looked in the INF_Terran VP/maps section and found the Vela textures and now shows up properly in the tech room....and in-mission.

EDIT: Looks like I got my work cut out for me...lots of TEXTURE MAPS to move around. Fortunately I have MODVIEW and it can tell me exactly what textures are used on each ship.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 02:38:03 am by 2479 »
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
lots of TEXTURE MAPS to move around.

Not compared to the next release. There's now 1338 maps, glowmaps and shinemaps to go through.

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

Heh....I;m currently using MODVIEW to see exactly what texture maps I need to extract that arent in SPARKY_FS2.  Tedious. I could probably save myself a ton of trouble and just dump the INERNO maps in...but that would give me a mess of ones that I wouldnt use.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

Okay I have all the models loaded and working except for one, the POSEIDON. I have the Clarius (GTFr_INF.pof) in place as I have with all the rest, but the only thing I see of it are the turrets. I double checked, and I have the texture maps all in place...
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Which version of the clarius, the original or the SCP patch one?

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

That I do not know...

As far as I know its the original, though I've had no difficulties with the other ships I've replaced.  I'm using FS2_Open, the version I got when I downloaded TBP 3.0 and it hasnt given me any trouble before.

For the Clarius...I have all the textures in place, but theres nothing to see but the turrets.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 05:48:45 pm by 2479 »
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The original clarius model uses lots of tile maps and doesn't work in fs open. The SCP patch clarius uses 1 texture map and doesn't use the tiled maps of the original. If your using the SCP patch version make sure you have the map from the SCP patch as well.

If not try running a debug build and see what errors it throws up.

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

I'll try running the debug...

Don't know how to be sure I have the SCP patched version. If not, how would I get it?
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The version in INF_2Patch.vp is the SCP patch one, any other version is the original one. That one is the only version that works in non Inferno SCP builds, the original does not.