Author Topic: newbie having problems w/ control  (Read 5492 times)

Offline cnbcad

newbie having problems w/ control
I just installed the retail version of fs and the 1.2 patch...  Am currently going thru the initial training sequences...  The problems I'm having is with steering...  I should mintion that I'm relatively new to gaming of any kind...  I have a Saitek gamers pad...  The more I practice trying to bring enemy ships into my sights the worse I get...  It all seems so counter intuitive; everything moves the wrong way....  Is there a trick or any advice you can give?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Well, lets see.  If you're not used to flight controls (down on your pad will pull your fighter up and point at the space above you, up moves your nose down) that could be giving you trouble.  If you're getting inverted motion horizontally, I don't know what you're doing.  However, to fix either of these things to your preference, press F2 (mainhall or in-mission), go to control configuration, and then ship controls.  Select Yaw and press invert to switch the direction you turn in; select Pitch and press invert to swap up for down.  Though once you learn it the standard method is actually easier across all control devices, I can see where it may be difficult to grasp if you're approaching this with a gameing pad instead of the mouse standby or a full joystick.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 03:36:55 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Nuclear1

I use keyboard. :nervous:

But I agree with you cnb--the control can be daunting or unusual at first. The flight aspect tends to handle like real flight does. Pull back on the joystick, and the fighter climbs. Push forward, the fighter dives. You'll figure it out after a while. It took me a while, too, but it grows on you.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I use a keyboard too. I actually can't stand those inverted pitch controls and have always played with the keys switched around, ever since the original Descent. I have to deal with it in FRED unfortunately. I would probably be fine with this scheme on a joystick, but it feels really weird on a keyboard.

Offline Nuclear1

It's not exactly bad using the keyboard. The flight controls work fine for me, but I've learned that excessive FS playing is bad for the keyboard. There's a little section of liquid on the side of the keyboard that used to be my Tab button.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline watsisname

There's a little section of liquid on the side of the keyboard that used to be my Tab button.
  Hahahah, wtf. :lol:

I use a keyboard as well, since Descent.  Pretty good at it too. :D
I've tried using a joystick (Logitech Wingman Attack) and it worked great at first, but then the steering got fuzzy and now I can't even calibrate it. :hopping: I think the little connections inside are messed up.  

Anyway, if you're having trouble playing with a stick, then either calibrate it again, or maybe you just need to get more practice.  It's always odd at first, but you get better.  Hell, I used to suck at Descent, but now... I'm damn good. :cool:
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

I've used the standard keyboard + mouse approach ever since Descent. ;7

keyboard all the way....and still no puddle :D
Lightning....im always first

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'll always swear by my joystick-only config.  I can't imagine a keyboard feeling anything close to natural for playing Descent/Freespace.  Using a stick has always added to the immersive experience of those games for me; it allows you to become involved with what's going on in the game on a tactile level.  Plus, a stick gives you a range of different movement rates that an on-off keyboard just can't simulate. I don't dobut that most veteran keyboarders out there could easily smoke my ass, but I know that I'd never be able to play either of these games without a good joystick in my hand. :)

you made that one just too easy Mongoose...

"a stick gives you a range of different movement rates"

"I know that I'd never be able to play either of these games without a good joystick in my hand."

:lol:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
keyboard + joystick combo.

there's a small dent in my tab button from when i played "The Lion's Den" the first couple of times. :nervous: (and i'm being serious)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
They can have my joystick when they pry it from my cold dead hands...

(Before someone gets immature, I mean a Logitech 3d extreme) :D
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by Evo-Lightning
you made that one just too easy Mongoose...

"a stick gives you a range of different movement rates"

"I know that I'd never be able to play either of these games without a good joystick in my hand."

:lol:

Get your mind out of the gutter, pilot! :p

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
saitech x52 here, the best on the market as far as i know. remember the phrase is pull up. associate the stick movement with the axial movement of the ship. you will notice that the ship rotates in the same direction the stick does. ive been pulling up sence the original starfox. ive gone as far as setting the invert mouse option in fps games.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Getter Robo G
They can have my joystick when they pry it from my cold dead hands...

(Before someone gets immature, I mean a Logitech 3d extreme) :D

It's actually a pretty nice stick. I wouldn't mind trying to play with it.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
mines bigger :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It's not the size that counts, it's the way it feels in your hands. :p

You want one that's strong enough to last a long time, but easy enough to handle that it'll be fun.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The latter half of this thread makes me feel... dirty...

:shaking:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Nuke
mines bigger :D

I don't have one. :nervous:

Oh my, what have i started :eek2:

(i have a joystick, but im not the one who uses it :nervous: )
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 07:02:00 am by 3085 »