Author Topic: update port for new media vp's?  (Read 3266 times)

update port for new media vp's?
There are new starfeilds in the latest media vp's that are being used for the fs2 main campaign, however the port of the fs1 campaign and silent threat need to be modified in order to use them.  Are these going to be modified sometime in the future to use this feature?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 08:55:50 am by 3218 »

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Chances are that'll be done when the SCP version of the Port comes out. Right now it's primarily meant to be compatible with Retail, but when the next release comes there's supposed to be versions for both.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I'm actually not entirely sure what you mean by missions needing to be redesigned to work with MediaVP content.  Most of it just works (like mv_models, for example; if the ship is in there, it shows up for the port) so you shouldn't need to change anything.  A little bit of the graphics-related stuff could be changed in the tables, but the missions themselves should have no reason to get changed.  Unless you mean for backgrounds and the like.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

yah the backgrounds is the issue in question. I should have specified in the title.  By changeing the environment to something that looks feels beter it realy changes the game.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: update port for new media vp's?
Once STR is done (December? quite possibly. Definitely if one of us dies) we're going to work on the SCP edition of the Freespace port. So far we're looking to include:
  • Galatea and Bastion main halls.
  • FS1 music tracks.
  • The classic sound and visual effects.
  • The classic wingmen and Command personae.
  • Centaur and Scarab useage instead of FS2 support ships.
  • Nameplates on all capital ships and squad logos on all fighters/bombers.
  • Hi-detail maps and models for the Apollo, Valkyrie, Athena, Anubis, Amun, Scorpion, Shaitan, Chronos, Bast, and Karnak.
  • Glowpoints, glowmaps and shinemaps for the same.
All the other ships should be included in the FS2 media VPs, but of course we're pushing for the completion of the Lucifer and other capital ships.
As always, our first priority is compatibility with the main FS2 campaign, to make this a completely plug-and-play mod that any player can pick from the campaign room. It's possible we'll even use a big TBM instead of new tables to ensure even greater compatibility.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 12:26:17 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Don't forget about new sexp useages.  Use distance-ship-subsystem for proximity of the Lucifer's bays in "Playing Judas" (instead of those awkward waypoints), and the set-support-ship sexp so that the Centaur can be used, although it'd be better if that sexp could be updated so that one can designate support ships on a per-species basis within a mission.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Thanks, forgot about the support ships. As far as Playing Judas goes, we won't fix it if it ain't broke.
Any other SCP enhancements that could help the FS1 campaign's authenticity while not changing FS2?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
As far as Playing Judas goes, we won't fix it if it ain't broke.

well, it would be nice not getting stuck trying to find the right area to go 'into' the hangar. :p

i like what you're going to do with the SCP version though, i'm really looking for it. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
GalEmp, will the new hi-res maps be power-of-2, 32-bit DDS files, with similarly sized glowmaps (pcx or DDS) and 32-bit DDS shine/alpha-environment maps?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Only if I can interpolate my hypervoxels and convert the HTML to cascading style sheets.

...actually I understood most of that. I'm not the 2D guy, I'll really have to wait on DaBrain or someone else to do hi-res maps for the classic ships. I'm not really sure where the cutscene Apollo skin is going to fit in, unless I just include it as an extra standalone players can drop in their Maps folder. :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
wouldn't it just be simpler to just convert the .pcx files from FS1 to DDS and such? the FS1 maps look more like the hi-res stuff to me, just add some glow thingies. :D

(not very fluent in mapping, so if i'm wrong, say so. :p)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
IIRC, that's already been done (not converted to DDS to my knowledge, but the dimensions set to more optimal sizes) and the next step would be to enhance what's already there.  The high-res stuff for FS1 was intended to take the place of software dithering or something equally nasty, and so they don't actually have all that much detail despite their extra resolution.  They also don't have proper shine maps done for them, which is probably the most pressing concern.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 05:04:59 pm by StratComm »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Well, I've started to clean up the audio tracks for FS1, I had an idea for it at first but I scrapped it entirely.  I started a thread in Freespace Modding, with an admittedly bad start, thinking of running the files through the X-Fi Crystalizer.  That sure didn't work out well, but I've taken a different approach, just audio cleanup, and then to re-encode the altered WAV's into OGG files.  My main goal is to get rid of the "fizz" and high-frequency "hissing" around the audio, to make it sound cleaner than the unaltered WAV's.  Keep in mind that this is just audio cleanup.  The quality really doesnt improve much, but getting rid of the hiss and fizz makes it a little more enjoyable.  Cleaned up OGG-ified audio tracks for FS1.  I have posted a new sample in the thread I mentioned above. 

Just curious if you might be interested in something like this.