Author Topic: Buggie  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Used the o-fficial 3.6 installer with all the various bells and whistles.  Decided to play through the main campaign and bug-hunt.

No problems during the first training mission.  At the end of the second, when jumping out, my ship didn't vanish into the warp portal--the model simply passed right through it, until the warp closed and I went to debriefing.

I know someone else reported this problem fairly recently, but after bonking around the search for about fifteen minutes, I couldn't find the right thread. :D

What puzzles me is that this didn't happen during the first mission, and might have been nothing more than a random futzing of code.  I'll keep playing and see if it should pop up again.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

The same thing happened to me with a few other builds, I usually ignore it.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you have a geforce mx don't you?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

What causes this then?  My old GFMX440 used to do this, but now it's dead and my new card doesn't.  It's still a GF.
#Bal kote, darasumm knte,
  Jorso'ran kando a tome,
  Sa kyr'am Nau tracyn kad, Vode an#

- Traditional Mandalorian war chant

I have a Geforce 4 and it foes that, the bug isn't there on later builds, I think.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It's a problem with the GFX card's clipping plane ( I think that's what they said). So it's a hardware issue, not an SCP bug...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

I've already opened a ticket on Mantis. Seems to be a hardware problem (or drivers, I've still to check that) But the game should render it by software if the hardware does not support it, I think.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I have a GF2MX, so I'm familiar with this problem, but I should point out that not all ship models seem affected by it.  When using the Apollo from the Port for example, it disapears with no difficulties.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

That's because of the glowmaps.
It doesn't happen if you don't use the -glow

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Further research indicates that this happens on -every- mission.  I must not have been paying very close attention during that first training sortie.  Hardly a game-breaking bug, but still mildly irritating.

System specs are in my sig.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
GeForce MX problem.  Upgrade, or live with it... Sorry.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

nah nah nah.. Not while there would be a software solution :P

LOL @ "Terran VolksWagen Project"

Offline Sticks

Feel free to yell at nVidia for clip plane support in thier drivers. The hardware supports it, can't see why the drivers don't.

Either that or write us a software clip plane system. :)
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if someone wants to give it a shot we actualy have a fix in mind, we just havn't got around to doing it becase it's inainely complex.
for the record this is a driver issue
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

yeah, I am going to try an earlier version of the Nvidia driver. The last one sucks.

So the VIA driver for the AGP

Well. just checked with NVidia v53.03 and even with the original (WinXP) driver for VIA-AGP. Glows doesn't work.
Did someone ever yelled at NVidia about this thing? Ever got an answer?

Bobboau, what do you mean by giving it a shot? try the fix? :)
I can do that.

Also, I've just sent an email to the manufacturer (Chaintech, don't puke over me please) about the bug. I hope I get an answer.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
He means code in the fix, I think. :D
-C