Author Topic: [nVidia Only!] Ohhhh this is a neat feature!  (Read 3134 times)

Offline JarC

[nVidia Only!] Ohhhh this is a neat feature!
Any of the nVidia card owners tried this yet? I only got my first one a couple of months ago, so forgive me if this is old hat...

http://www.stereo3d.com/news/news0062.html

I must say, I was pretty amazed how good the effect is with games that were developed with this possiblity in mind. It even sports customizable laser sights for configured games...and best of all, FS2 has its own entry in the list of games :D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 01:13:45 pm by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
ooooohhh... nice...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline J3Vr6

would be cool for any simulation, especially mech warrior and stuff.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Question is... does it look real?
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline JarC

well, that depends on the game actually...there's a test app included that made me jump back from the monitor in reflex, the logo suddenly jumped out of the screen and instinctively I reacted by pulling backward...weird experience...the glasses prolly also play a big part, i just have the ordinary red/blue glasses to try with before I go actually looking for pageflip glasses. On the whole I'd say it's a killer effect and it looks great.
There's hotkeys to control settings in-game...
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Bah. I want halloprojectors...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline JarC

screenie ;) red/blue glasses required...

Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
If I squint enough, it looks kinda cool.

But I'll be damned before I replace my 9600xt, and waaay before I ever put on those silly glasses.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
What a insanely stupid thing that 'feature' is.

Heck, the colours look SOOOOOO messed up with one of those thingies. And SCP is all about beautiful colours. Even monochrome looks better. Creating a depth-illusion by filtering off colours = stupid. :D

Oh, yeah - and nVidia sucks :p
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What about those pageflip ones JarC mentioned?  There would be no color inballance with those.

On the cool factor level, combine simulated 3D viewing with hi-poly models or bump-mapping and you've got a recipy for something sweet!

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I for one think it's really clever, at least until a less gimmicky way of implementing 3D vision is found. Like those glasses that actually project like a HUD and totally fool those eyes into generating perspective. Yeah...
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Now, for me, I see no depth, ever. So no need for me to watch this kind of stuff, my eyes see everything flat, be it on a screen, or in RL.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I saw some 3D glasses for Descent2 once. They did some rapid flickering that supposedly made it look more 3D, but I don't remember how effective it was. Go figure.

With a good enough system, hefty code modifications, and two mini screens you could render a left-eye viewpoint and right-eyeviewpoint it make it *really* appear to be 3D without any sort of quality loss.

It doesn't get any better than that...
-C

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Lightspeed
What a insanely stupid thing that 'feature' is.

Heck, the colours look SOOOOOO messed up with one of those thingies. And SCP is all about beautiful colours. Even monochrome looks better. Creating a depth-illusion by filtering off colours = stupid. :D

Oh, yeah - and nVidia sucks :p

guess that shows you know more about using colors in PS than in real life...You get a full color image with red/blue glasses with no color what so ever filtered out.

True, each eye gets to see part of the spectrum because one color is filtered out, but it is filtered out ONLY for the ONE eye. Both eyes combined see the full spectrum, and your brain () is capable enough to reconstruct the separated info to a complete spectrum...or you must be colorblind in which case you'd be missing colors anyways...and those not colorblind will still enjoy the multitude of lucid colors added by SCP...

So next time you start knocking a feature, get your info straight ok? there's sofar 9 different types of 3D devices supported by the card, so no need to stick to the red/blue, which is the cheapest way to try it out and possibly buy a better type of glasses. It is also the only way to try and share the effect in places like here...

the list of supported devices:
DDC VGA Glasses (IO Display)
Dual VGA Output (Dep3D)  <---- !!!! @Setehk & WMC (And NO code modifs required!)
Vertical Interleaved (SeeReal)
Horizontal Interleaved (VREX)
White line code glasses
Blue line code glasses
Anaglyph stereo (Red/Blue)
Sharp 3D Display
Direct 3-Pin DIN Vesa Connect (depends on card manufacturer)

but...just because the effect is so good, it also reveals all the ugly graphix hacks still present in fs2_open...it still is largely a 2D game...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 07:00:56 am by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
With a good enough system, hefty code modifications, and two mini screens you could render a left-eye viewpoint and right-eyeviewpoint it make it *really* appear to be 3D without any sort of quality loss.

It doesn't get any better than that...

There would probably be a bit of a drop in effective FPS.  If your system can only get to 100 fps normally, in theory it would be forced to divide the FPS between scan-pulses so that each eye would only get 50 fps.  Sounds like this is a job for a GF-6800 Ultra or Rx800.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I will vouch for the awesomeness of true dual-channel 3d, be it color, scanline, or frame interlaced.  The alternating glasses are probably the coolest effect of all, although the FPS has to be at a high level to not give one eyestrain very quickly.  120Hz isn't bad, but if you've got a monitor that will do higher then you're better off with the higher settings.  As for losing frames of game FPS, that's not exactly true, the onscreen image continues to update regardless of which "eye" is being shown the information, and your brain does a very good job of making it flow.  That said, it doesn't work very well on a small screen, as the edges of the screen "anchor" the image in an unnatural way, and the effect is limited by how close you are to the onscreen images versus the percentage of your field of vision that the screen occupies.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by JarC

guess that shows you know more about using colors in PS than in real life...You get a full color image with red/blue glasses with no color what so ever filtered out.

True, each eye gets to see part of the spectrum because one color is filtered out, but it is filtered out ONLY for the ONE eye. Both eyes combined see the full spectrum, and your brain () is capable enough to reconstruct the separated info to a complete spectrum...or you must be colorblind in which case you'd be missing colors anyways...and those not colorblind will still enjoy the multitude of lucid colors added by SCP...

Not really. 3D glasses generate a very odd look, as you filter out different parts of the spectrum on each one of your eyes. For a real colour sight you'd need to use colours that are not used by the game - something that doesnt exist. Your brain of course attempts to reconstruct the image, but it does, and will still look odd. Very odd.

So next time you start knocking a feature, get your info straight ok? there's sofar 9 different types of 3D devices supported by the card, so no need to stick to the red/blue, which is the cheapest way to try it out and possibly buy a better type of glasses. It is also the only way to try and share the effect in places like here...

the list of supported devices:
DDC VGA Glasses (IO Display)
Dual VGA Output (Dep3D)  <---- !!!! @Setehk & WMC (And NO code modifs required!)
Vertical Interleaved (SeeReal)
Horizontal Interleaved (VREX)
White line code glasses
Blue line code glasses
Anaglyph stereo (Red/Blue)
Sharp 3D Display
Direct 3-Pin DIN Vesa Connect (depends on card manufacturer)

but...just because the effect is so good, it also reveals all the ugly graphix hacks still present in fs2_open...it still is largely a 2D game...

Yeah, the other solutions might be better. And about that last paragraph...

I'm proud that it is like that. The more 2D the game stays, the better it will play and look. Have you looked at any newer games with their '1337 3d explosions'? They look so incredibly bad compared to FS2's beautiful prerendered animations and are substinentially slower (as they have to be rendered from scratch).

Staying in 2D, things will not only be FASTER, but also LOOK BETTER, if done the right way. Just look at shockwaves. You can *never* recreate the detail you can put into a prerendered 2-D image/animation in a realtime 3D environment.

You can have an explosion in-game that took 6 hours to render on your computer, without any noticeable slow-down :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

AHEM

http://www.edimensional.com/products/edglasses.htm

I want one of those...
...to hell with red/blue.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i kinda like stereo, its also good if yr doing cad or modeling. im gonna get mee one of these 3d displays eventually. id love to get a headset for cfs3, so i could look around inside the cockpit as i fly. it also aids in aiming, makes it more acurate to real shooting.

at the very least you reminded me to upgrade my drivers.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
Question is... does it look real?

I don't think it will make Commander Keen look real.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key