Author Topic: A high poly thing (HTL Moloch - WIP)  (Read 38722 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: A high poly thing (HTL Moloch - WIP)
The maps look brighter.
-C

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Well if we have a POF then we can reverse-engineer it into a format we all can use.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Here is a version, converted to COB then converted back to 3DS using Lith.

http://www.game-warden.com/fusionstorm/new%20Hi-poly%20moloch61.3ds
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Excellent model, congrats!

However, I must say this. If you have to use wings (as do I,) the .wings to .3ds conversion is FUBARED. Try converting it to .obj as it is the only conversion I tried that keeps all the data of the UVmaps and so forth, and is correct to begin with.

For me to import a .3ds model into .wings correctly, I use deep explorer to convert it to .dxf then open it up with eovia hexagon then export it as .obj which wings3d understands correctly.

Export it to .obj then turn it to anything your heart desires. It will be correct.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

...but once again don't pay attention to the lower right front spikes. :drevil:

I actually really, really like the red veins along the spikes! Can they be made official?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline WeatherOp

...but once again don't pay attention to the lower right front spikes. :drevil:

I actually really, really like the red veins along the spikes! Can they be made official?

Ummm, the red veins along the bottom spikes have been there in the V model. :p THe part I was talking about I took out because it didn't work right.

Has anyone tried that 3DS model with Max to see if it works?

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I booted it up in Max 7 and it didn't make any complaints.. so I assume it's ok!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ummm, the red veins along the bottom spikes have been there in the V model. :p THe part I was talking about I took out because it didn't work right.

Yay! They're official!! ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline WeatherOp

I booted it up in Max 7 and it didn't make any complaints.. so I assume it's ok!

Thanks, however please don't download the file, once again I'm adding more detail to it. ;)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
No worries - I just thought I'd take a look. I won't form any other judgement or anything from it. Looks good though!

Offline WeatherOp

No worries - I just thought I'd take a look. I won't form any other judgement or anything from it. Looks good though!

Ohh, that wasn't directed at you, just everybody else, cause that file is old. ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Oooh, no, Max didn't complain... It loaded everything, but there were multiple copies of everything when it did that... and all together 8500 polies >..>;

Didn't try that version to se if it's better or not.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline WeatherOp

I'm sad to report that my laptop crashed last night. Called tech support this morning, tried everything, and couldn't get it solved. They are gonna come get it monday, all I can do is hope all my data stayed intact. :(

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
/forgets any complaints he may have had earlier on :p

That model's absolutely amazing; it looks like the Moloch should have from the very beginning.  Forget what I said earlier; that really captures the original's sleekness and spikyness perfectly.  Good luck with the laptop; if you need a "restore-my-data" donation fund set up, I'm sure you can find at least a few people willing to donate for the sake of getting that in-game. :)

Offline WeatherOp

Nah, still had warranty on it, so it's not gonna cost me anything. However I do expect to lose all my data, and I couldn't get back in there to back it up. But, no worrys on that, I'm really glad I uploaded a 3DS version before the crash.

Also I am thinking of using parts from the other one, while making a cleaner version. And since that mindset has clicked in, I have no choice but to follow it. It should be very easy to do, since the hard part was figuring out what to do, but I'll be delayed a few days, until my fixed laptop comes in. :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Here. Look at it in game with this model. i took the time to clean up the texture groups and put the thrusters in the right place, and make it the right size...

No turrets. No pof ata. Strictly techroom stuff.

EDIT: I don' think it's working..... gonna recheck tomorrow ehn I'm awake.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 12:43:07 am by Raa »

Offline WeatherOp

Cool, can't wait to see it. :)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Been 10 days... any progress, by any chance? Not to seem pressing, or anything... just eager to blow up this baby ingame.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Completely forgot about it......

Ok, here's a preview pic, a copy of the pof file, and he max 7 scene file for someone else to do the turrets and LODs and conversion... It took a bit of clearing up to get it to be a decent, low map-count mesh. but i think it's pretty good.

*grumbles* 3 times I had to do this because of the ****ed up SMF baords... clicking back won't let yu submit or alteryour post data, and it's using the combined file size of all of my attachments to be greater than 512KB. Bull****!*

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
and

[attachment deleted by admin]