Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 3938 times)

I have downloaded the Hotu version of FS2 and i have also downloaded the missing vp files and cleared out the data folder of the required files.  however, i have tried to play inferno by putting the inferno file into me freespace folder, and it says that i am missing my freespace 2 CD.  Can anybody help?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
If your system can handle it I'd suggest switching to FS Open, that'll fix the CD check problem, otherwise you need CD2 or CD3 or a hacked exe to run it.

Offline Murderous Species

• Immortal
I had the same problem, since my version is also HotU, I solved it doing this:
1_Download fs2_open (I suggest 3.6.7, but you are free to choose, since Inferno works very well using almost any build)
2_Download INF_2Patch and follow the instructions it gives.
3_Use the "-mod" command line in the fs2_open launcher and select the folder created by INF_2Patch.
4_Click "Play" and enjoy!!!!! :D
"Expecting a good plot from a certain genre of games, is expecting intelligence from the caracters it presents"- Myself
"Pain is an illusion of the body; fear, an illusion of the mind"- Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War
"What is it, Alpha 1... CHICKEN?"
"Prepare ship for LUDICROUS SPEED"
"One fairy contains A LOT of vitamins and minerals; to the point we eat them on-sight; they also offer A LOT of resistance when you don't cook them!"
ALICE!!!!!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Oh and you don't need an Inferno Build. Seems some other people still get confused about that.

• Immortal
You don't?

*exits his room to thank God, since he never used an Inferno build*
"Expecting a good plot from a certain genre of games, is expecting intelligence from the caracters it presents"- Myself
"Pain is an illusion of the body; fear, an illusion of the mind"- Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War
"One fairy contains A LOT of vitamins and minerals; to the point we eat them on-sight; they also offer A LOT of resistance when you don't cook them!"
ALICE!!!!!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Inferno builds are for the current mod, not the old one. With the pilot code changes it isn't recommended using an INF Build unless you really need it.

I did wat u told me to... but now even though i can play inferno, about a minute into the game a window pops up, the screen turns black, and there's a window says that freespace has to close.  wat's wrong?

oh, and i downloaded the patch, and it seems to me that the main game still works.  i'm sort of confused...

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
If you've installed the Inferno patch and setup the mod directory then try running a debug build (one with '_d' instead of '_r' at the end of its name)
That should tell you if something is wrong.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We should use this thread as an object lesson in the dangers of posting the same question on two different threads at the same time.

On this thread I've been explaining how to get Inferno to work with retail. While it appears that here you've been explaining how to get it up and running on the SCP using the patch.

Funnily enough those two things won't work at the same time. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

alright... i've downloaded fs2 open version 3.5, and now inferno works very well... and now it says "cannot load mission 3" or something close to that.  i'm getting desperate now :sigh: :shaking:

• Immortal
Does it say why?

If not, good luck. :p
(And may the IGEOM be with you)
ALICE!!!!!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

when i run the game it says "cannot load kernel" or something, then i break into debugger and play.  and then i can't play mission 3.  i am dying here.  MEDIC!

PLEASE! is there anyone that can help me?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
What build(s) are using? Which mediavp have installed? Have you made the installation according to the guide in FSwiki? Wich graphics mode are you using (OGL vs DX8)? Have you configured the launcher properly?

And can you post the error message here?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

What build(s) are using? Which mediavp have installed? Have you made the installation according to the guide in FSwiki? Wich graphics mode are you using (OGL vs DX8)? Have you configured the launcher properly?

And can you post the error message here?

I am using FS2 open version 3_5, as the other builds would crash me after 3 minutes.  i have all the vp files for the retail game (i have hotu), i have one media vp, which makes subspace jumps light blue (model.vp, i think), i have followed the FSwiki guide, and i am using Direct X.  i have direct x 9.0c.  the launcher is also configured to run "fs2_3_5" or something.  i have the random tiger launcher.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
OK, well from what i have heard the hotu version i think it needs some additional files. See more here.

I would suggest (from my own experience) downloading quite new builds, either moving directly to 3.6.8 beta mediavps and to 07/01/06 build from the recent builds thread or alternatively downloading 3.6.7s from here and then 22/12/05 build from here. Also try using OpenGL if possible.

EDIT: Just remember that you do not have to use all of the mediavps.. For example adveffects can cause serious slowdown..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 02:06:34 pm by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

ok... i'll try your method. i'll post with the results.

DARN IT! IT"S STILL CRASHING! maybe i should just use fs2_open v.5.0 and download inferno again.