Author Topic: weapons that shoot from the back of a fighter ship?  (Read 3515 times)

weapons that shoot from the back of a fighter ship?
any1 ever think of creating a weapon that can be shot from the back... a defense against other fighters from the rear....

any1 ever watch the movie stealth?

there is a scene where the plane that is being chased shoots some kinda flair weapon from the back...

do you know what i mean?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: weapons that shoot from the back of a fighter
Countermeasures?

Offline Murderous Species

• Immortal
Re: weapons that shoot from the back of a fighter ship?
Turret?
Cannons mounted backwards is a bad idea.
"Expecting a good plot from a certain genre of games, is expecting intelligence from the caracters it presents"- Myself
"Pain is an illusion of the body; fear, an illusion of the mind"- Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War
"What is it, Alpha 1... CHICKEN?"
"Prepare ship for LUDICROUS SPEED"
"One fairy contains A LOT of vitamins and minerals; to the point we eat them on-sight; they also offer A LOT of resistance when you don't cook them!"
ALICE!!!!!

no not turrets.... it would be like come out of something else from the back, or it could give you two choices.... like you can switch between counter measures, and the weapon to shoot from the back.... most likely it would be some kind of exploding mine/bullet that explodes on contact.... any1 seen the movie stealth? if you havnt, watch it and you will know what i mean.

i think it would be a good idea, but it could cause problems some how... i dont know how though... havnt put much thought on it... was just thinking it would be cool and useful.

example: you are being chased by another fighter and he is right on your tail, he launches a missle and you launch a countermeasure, and right after you switch from your countermeasures to your explosion bomblets and it launches several at a time like a spread sg...... while it may not do to much damage, it will make him back away as to stay out of range of your bomblets, thus making it harder to shoot you.... kinda like how the flak guns on cap ships keep the fighters further away.

this is just and example.... there are other possibilities

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Unfortunately all weapons are locked into shooting directly forward under the FS2 engine.  It can't be done under player control in the most general sense.  There's still talk of mines or something similar getting implimented eventually, but right now it's simply not an option.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

It maybe not a weapon, but can be a shockwave assigned to a Countermeasure, you just would have to make it EMP Shockwave, that way while you're getting away from your own countermeasure the explosion keeps expanding near you, but not at enough speed to give you the EMP status, while the other firghter will get the EMP distortion, and somewhat that will help you........

Also setting a high value Blast will help to make the shooter be confused......the Shockwave would need be low-damage, enough to be able to destroy multiple missiles and bombs that come behind you.....

It's something more like an EMP Mine, but it would help, at least the attacker will be advised to take distance before shooting........

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
This is exactly the sort of thing that I integrated countermeasures and weapons for.

You can drop Subach lasers out of the back of your ship, if that's what you set the countermeasure type to in ships.tbl.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I had completely forgotten that was committed.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

How does the AI know when to use them though? If you set a bomber's countermeasures to fire Shivan Clusters, for example, would they be launched when a missile approaches or when a fighter's behind them (which would be the most appropriate situation)?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Am I the only one who saw "Firefox" with Clint Eastwood?

Over the shoulder missiles are the way to go.
BTW was anything ever done to rectfy the missile lock conflict with looking around?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=39190.0.html

Here's solution of your problem, still i doubt Woo will make that kind of weapons. :p
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I don't plan to, at least right now anyway.

Offline mr.WHO

Turret?
Cannons mounted backwards is a bad idea.

I could be wrong but TBP mod have an EA Badger fighter that have backward mounted turret.

BTW: Does this will be included/use in Inferno:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39190.0.html.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 09:44:40 am by mr.WHO »

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I don't plan to, at least right now anyway.