Author Topic: Shockwave file names  (Read 6475 times)

For some odd reason the shockwaves caused by the death of a capital ship or a cycolops seem to give me large amounts of lag, nothing else dose so I  thought I'd remove the graphic from the explosion and go back to the origonal that I know works fine. I've got the programs to open a vp file I just need to know where to find the shockwave and prefrably what its called.

If you're using the Super-High-End Shockwaves, which uses 80 MB for texture, I think it comes in the mv_adveffects.vp of the MediaVP v3.6.8 Beta / Delta. It's known it will cause a massive slowdown in D3D 8 mode, in OpenGL it works fine, if your PC can hanble it......

I'll suggest you use the Mid-End or High-End Shockwaves textures, until you prefer to play in OpenGL mode, but there you will loose the "Enviroment Mapping" which is currently unsupported by OpenGL (not implemented).

Thanks, found them.

Wow, my thread became a sticky :)

Must be a more important issue than I thought

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
What would make this thread actually useful would be to post links to the different versions.  Damn broken search.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

This are from the 2nd Release of 3D Shockwaves made by DaBrain, after the Specs they are named -Blue (Ex: old is SW3D_Low-End, new are SW3D_Low-End-Blue and so).

Here are the Links:

Low-End

http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/SW3D_Low-End_blue.rar

Mid-End:

http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/SW3D_Mid-range_blue.rar

High-End:

http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/SW3D_High-End_blue.rar

Super-High-End:

http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/SW3D_Super-High-End_blue.rar

-----------------------------------------

Thanks to DaBrain for making those excellent shockwaves
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:13:11 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
Re: Shockwave file names
You forgot the low-end shockwaves for the poor saps with crappy processors and video cards. :nervous: :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

You forgot the low-end shockwaves for the poor saps with crappy processors and video cards.

OK, is there a machine with such capabilities?. Capable of running the SCP, but not the Mid-End Shockwaves...well, I edited the post above, now it's in order.

As always, remember the credit goes to DaBrain.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:14:51 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, people with 64 MB gfx cards should use it. It should even save ram compared to the stock effect.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, people with 64 MB gfx cards should use it. It should even save ram compared to the stock effect.
Actually, my 64 MB Radeon X300 manages to make do with the super-high-detail shockwaves without an overabundance of stagger-stepping.  Those animated beamglows give it somewhat more trouble, but even then, it doesn't completely grind to a standstill.  There are times when I'm amazed at just how much this little card can handle without melting into a puddle of slag. :p

Offline neoterran

To be honest, I think that in future versions of the SCP we need flags at run time to determine how powerful the shockwave effects are. Saying, well, just don't use adveffects mvp is kind of unfair because most everyone with a card capable of running the scp can use the adveffects with the exception of animated beamglows and the super high end shockwaves. So i'd like to see runtime flags for both those things really, and have all the different shockwave effects in the mvps, and just selectable.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
or you could just take them out. it's not like the file names within the .vp's are confusing. all the shockwave files have "shockwave" in the name. i mean, think about it. they could have just made the first file 1, the second 2, the third 3, and so on.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I don't want it to become like Linux, where you have a god-awful number of options that you're expected to configure just to get started.

Yeah, it can be a problem...but OTOH, the animated glowmaps reside in adveffects, which also chew up a fair amount of memory. So in theory at least, if you've got a high-tech enough machine to run one, it should be able to run the other.

Animated beamglows, animated glowmaps, and the high-res shockwave anims have always been big performance laggers, and are pretty much the only major changes in adveffects.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It might be an idea to split up adv_effects into 3 VP files and have then all in the same download so that people can experiment more easily.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline bfobar

Playing around with it on my old GeForce3 TI, I can handle a billion animated shivan ships, but only medium shockwaves, and animated beams are right out.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
If I could make a suggestion. The mid-range or the high-range shockwave should may be included in the adveffects.vp as I don't think that many people can do the super-high-range shockwaves.  The super-high-range don't seem to give much of a benefit in quality for the performance hit they incurr...they should be the optional ones.  Just a personal opinion.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Yepp, this is how it was supposed to be used.The super-high-end version is only for people, who don't have any more features of FSO left to pu their PC power into good use. This way they can at least gain a slightly better visual quality. In the future (1 or two years), many more people will be able to use this effect. So I won't have to work out  new effect for them by then. :)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I put the low-end version in the newest set of MVPs, so I'm going to unsticky this. I didn't remove teh super high-end ones from adveffects...I was able to run The King's Gambit - which has all manner of shockwaves and high-poly models - decently enough with my GF6600GT, so I think the newer hardware should be able to handle them.
-C

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, I'd have done it slightly differnt.

Actually, I wouldhave added the low-end shockwave to the corepack. (It performs better than the original effect!)

And the mid-end one to the effects VP. (That's the one that should be used by the most people.)

And the high-end one to the advanced effects VP. (A 6600 GT is pretty fast... I think without the super-high-end effect, some people with Geforce 4 TI and Radeon 9600 cards should be able to use the avanced effects VP too...)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline neoterran

2D DaBrain shockwave FTW
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.