Author Topic: z7 files 02 to 05 seem to be corrupted or damage can not extract them..  (Read 4425 times)

Offline R3van

z7 files 02 to 05 seem to be corrupted or damage can not extract them..
Any ideas on this one guys?  Can't seem to extract them at all.

Offline starfox

Re: z7 files 02 to 05 seem to be corrupted or damage can not extract them..
I too, have problems with the z7 Files...
God, I hate it. I have 7-zip file manager installed, but I just don't understand how the z7-file system works...  :(
Why not just use the "normal" Rar-compression, without any z7-nonsense.

Unless of course, somebody would be so kind to write general guide about installing Inferno SCP updates.
Keep up the most impressive work anyway... :yes:
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Inferno SCP will use 7-zip as it gives far superior compression to winrar. I cuts about 50mb off the size (making it around 190mb right now)

I'm not too familiar with multi file archives using it though. Try to make sure all the files except the last are the same size and in the same folder when trying to extract.

I cant get them either and I would love to have the scp version of inferno. when I try to extract them it just says it's not a supported archive. :doubt:
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline starfox

I think I managed to extract them allright, but as I try to play I get the following...

Error: mv_tech-shp.tbm(line 2:
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [+Missile Banks: 1]
in ship: GTF Pegasus.

File:E:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 626
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

This comes before the Pilot selection screen...

Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Do you have the latest version of 7-zip?
The INF SCP archive will be a self extracting exe version.
Remember that update to R1 wasn't made by me or a member of my team, you only need our R1 patch to have a SCP ready version of R1. This is a fan update to the old reatil effects used by R1 as well as expanded SCP support such as tbms.

Yeah that's a media VP problem, one of their tbm entries doesn't have a nocreate entry so it's trying to add an incomplete Pegasus entry to the Inferno tables.

I think I managed to extract them allright, but as I try to play I get the following...

Error: mv_tech-shp.tbm(line 2:
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [+Missile Banks: 1]
in ship: GTF Pegasus.

File:E:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 626
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:

This comes before the Pilot selection screen...

starfox:
This error in specific is made by the Media VP v3.6.8. Delta, in the file mv_core.vp, one of the ships TBMs don't have the +nocreate flag, and it ends creating an uncomplete entry of the Pegasus.

Do you have any other TBM from another Campaing?. That error is caused because there are more ships than the Limit ships you can have in the ships.tbl.

In any case it is not a problem with the 7-Zip Inferno Update

I too, have problems with the z7 Files...
God, I hate it. I have 7-zip file manager installed, but I just don't understand how the z7-file system works...
Why not just use the "normal" Rar-compression, without any z7-nonsense.

Don't tell me everyone is trying to extract the 5 Files:

********.001/********.002/********.003/********004/********.005/********.006

In a Multi-Part file you just extract the 1st File in this case is the ********.001 file, automatically 7-Zip continues without asking with the 002, then 003, and so, until the final segment archive. Otherwise it will show a error like "Missing File" or "Missing Part".

This is exact the same for WinRAR is how Multi-Part compressed files are uncompressed. So, the error goes beyond 7-Zip, past WinRAR, WinACE, WinZip.

The problem is Windows, it's Windomizing everyone (if that word exist), Multi-Part compressed files were used in DOS, I can't really write CDs by those years, so the only way of packing something with a really big size was in Multi-Part Files in either 5.1/4 or 3.1/2 diskettess, it was a DOS need...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The INF SCP archive will be a self extracting exe version.

In this case that would solve some problems but would bring anothers. I don't know if I already wrote this in another post, if so then, sorry.

EXEs are attacked by almost every kind of virus, well it's a big percentage, that means that people with have harmless virus, even undetactables by the user which don't bother the gameplay or speed will be affected by this.

7-Zip Self-Extracting automatically does a CRC Check (SHA1, MD5 whatever you want) and will throw this: "Error: Corrupted File, wrong CRC". So, you can uncompress the non-corrupted part which is 99,9% usually, but you need 7-Zip, so, there is no real independency from the program
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:20:45 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline starfox

OK, thanks for all your help, Shadow0000.
It's working now, without any errors.
 :)

Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
In this case that would solve some problems but would bring anothers. I don't know if I already wrote this in another post, if so then, sorry.

EXEs are attacked by almost every kind of virus, well it's a big percentage, that means that people with have harmless virus, even undetactables by the user which don't bother the gameplay or speed will be affected by this.

7-Zip Self-Extracting automatically does a CRC Check (SHA1, MD5 whatever you want) and will throw this: "Error: Corrupted File, wrong CRC". So, you can uncompress the non-corrupted part which is 99,9% usually, but you need 7-Zip, so, there is no real independency from the program
My extractor will be virus free, so unless its downloaded from an untrusted soruce that isn't an issue.
Compressing 99.9% of it wouldn't be enough, the game won't work if files are missing so if the archive was corrupted you'd need to redownload it again anyway. Making it self extracting will stop me getting hundreds of 'how do extract this weird file I haven't seen before?' questions as if I'm dealing with thousands of downloads I bet most of them don't even have 7-zip.
The only 'problem' I see is the non Windows people may not be able to extract it as it has self extracting windows components.

I was going to use the installer used with TBP but I find it really annoying to set up. So it'll be a self extracting LZMA compressed archive using 7-zip, probably stored in a rar file so I can include install instructions you can install without visiting the forums or having to extract the files first.

My extractor will be virus free, so unless its downloaded from an untrusted soruce that isn't an issue.
Compressing 99.9% of it wouldn't be enough

I mean if the downloader has the virus, he won't notice the Virus will probabily infect the EXE and end corrupting the CRC, and end asking why it didn't work, while he is the one with the problem, and probabily he wont even be aware that he has a virus, and I'll need an extra explanation...

The only 'problem' I see is the non Windows people may not be able to extract it as it has self extracting windows components.

Another reason for not doing it

I bet most of them don't even have 7-zip.

I bet most people don't have another OS than Windows, but that's not enough reason to ignore the others. I posted the link and the 7-Zip note at the start of the thread, even so I think the same as you. It remember me to ISO, why people use it, it losses a lot of data, but like ZIP it is "popular format" and was used so much time that people forget about other formats.

I'll make a RAR but when I finish everything, once it's done I'll post it, I don't want to do it because once I uploaded it, it will be sealed of updates, it would be really bothering to upload 30 MB+ RAR File, everytime there is an update.

The problem is that I don't have any idea of what the Media VP 3.6.8 Delta have, so I have done DDS versions of the Animated Beam Glows, but I don't know what to do with the other TGAs, most effects in the VP v3.6.7 are in TGA format, so they'll reaming like that.....

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

I mean if the downloader has the virus, he won't notice the Virus will probabily infect the EXE and end corrupting the CRC, and end asking why it didn't work, while he is the one with the problem, and probabily he wont even be aware that he has a virus, and I'll need an extra explanation...
A virus like that would probably infect the main exes and launcher as soon as the downloader tries to run it. Which then could infect more files.

I bet most people don't have another OS than Windows, but that's not enough reason to ignore the others. I posted the link and the 7-Zip note at the start of the thread, even so I think the same as you. It remember me to ISO, why people use it, it losses a lot of data, but like ZIP it is "popular format" and was used so much time that people forget about other formats.
A lot of people would actually ignore archives that the more standard archive programs can't open. I still see many people asking about RAR files and how to open them and RAR is standard, but a lot of people have either no archiver or only winzip. A .7z file would only push many people away as they won't be able to open it with their 'standard' programs. The exe version can be used by these people and they don't have to worry about new extensions.

The point of the next release is for it to be run standalone straight from the archive, we can't provide other OS builds of the exes to do this, we also can't support or test on something that we do not have.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: z7 files 02 to 05 seem to be corrupted or dama
Could you still provide 'standard' VP packages in 7-zip/rar/zip form as an alternative download to the installer.. please.. pretty please?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
We don't use VP files or an installer, it's only a 7-zip file with a self extractor. All files are in the main data directory so that we can directly patch anything that's needed.