Author Topic: Freespace Newb Question here!  (Read 1428 times)

Offline warcrow

Freespace Newb Question here!
Hi guys,

Just got FS2. I know it doesnt support widescreen, but I'm now curious about any mods to make the gfx better...and maybe the models? What are the absolute must-haves?

Thanks!

Offline Nuclear1

Re: Freespace Newb Question here!
Clicken Sie hier. If you're using FS Open, then that thread is all you need for the graphics stuffs.

On a side note...

:welcome:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Defcon

Hi guys,

Just got FS2. I know it doesnt support widescreen, but I'm now curious about any mods to make the gfx better...and maybe the models? What are the absolute must-haves?

Thanks!

1) Get Freespace 2 Open Source (version 3.6.7) here: http://scp.indiegames.us/download.php?view.134

*make sure its in the main freespace 2 directory *games/Freespace2

2)Go here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,37272.0.html

*and download all of the mv_ files there and unzip them all into the Freespace2 main directory just like you did with open source. Click on the Launcher.exe and load up one of the new Freespace 2 EXE's that came with open source 3.6.7. Vwalla!

Offline Shade

Not quite all of them, leave mv_cell and, unless you have a killer system, mv_adveffects. Also, it's best to use them in a mod directory instead of the main folder. To do that simply make a folder called mediavps or whatever suits you in the main freepspace folder, put the media VPs in there and select it as a mod in the launcher.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Defcon

Not quite all of them, leave mv_cell and, unless you have a killer system, mv_adveffects. Also, it's best to use them in a mod directory instead of the main folder. To do that simply make a folder called mediavps or whatever suits you in the main freepspace folder, put the media VPs in there and select it as a mod in the launcher.

hehe I totally forgot I can do that! Now i can stop that uneccessary cluttering of vp's! Thanks man. Also I experienced a crash when the ravana warped in: as soon as I looked at the back side of itwhere the engines were Freespace went dead and crashed to desk top. ontop of that, the first mission where the first ani file vid is displayed at the end it turned pink then FS2 crashed. I've also had a couple of other crashes that I need to investigate...

Offline Wood

you'll also have to download or convert the movies to avi and place them in the game root folder or the mod folder cause fs2_open only reads avis and not the movie files format that comes with the game.

here's a good guide to get you started:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/intro.html

oh, and dont forget to check the features tab in fs2_open, including experimental stuff amd extra graphics options.