Author Topic: Network Support Request...  (Read 5085 times)

Network Support Request...
I've created a few TBP Multi Player maps that are EXTREMELY different from the norm and would prove to be a very large contribution to the TBP core.  However, I'm unable to do any testing because the default FS2_SCP provided with TBP Package 3.1 does not seem to support multiplayer mode (crashes).

:confused: <<<I've read that there IS a fix to this.>>> :confused:
    Could someone walk me through this?  I got some really good multi player maps that I want to release and I don't
    even know if they'll work yet.

;)          ;)          ;)          ;)          ;)          ;)          ;)          ;)          ;)          ;)          ;)
Thanks in advance...                         Thanks in advance...                         Thanks in advance...                         Thanks in advance...                         Thanks in advance...
[/color]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 09:19:56 pm by xenthorious »
The big cool ship...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Network Support Request...
Have you tried a more recent build?  I assume 3.6.7 would be better.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are you playing via FS2NetD or IP games? Cause the first one is much more stable. If you're playing an IP game have you got the IP address of all the PCs entered into the IP section? It is not good enough to simply put the IP address of the client on the host machine. Everything will appear work but more often than not one computer or the other will crash as soon as the mission launches.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Have you tried a more recent build?  I assume 3.6.7 would be better.

Not yet, would you have a URL to the most prefered version?
The big cool ship...

Are you playing via FS2NetD or IP games? Cause the first one is much more stable. If you're playing an IP game have you got the IP address of all the PCs entered into the IP section? It is not good enough to simply put the IP address of the client on the host machine. Everything will appear work but more often than not one computer or the other will crash as soon as the mission launches.

I've turned on IPX support and tried that (crash).
I've tried hosting using my system's IP address (crash).
The big cool ship...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
3.6.7 can be found here.

What sort of new stuff have you done? I'm very interested cause I don't know many people working on FS2_Open multi at all let alone on new things.

3.6.7 can be found here.

What sort of new stuff have you done? I'm very interested cause I don't know many people working on FS2_Open multi at all let alone on new things.

Well, there are two different types I have ATM, but only one is completed with the exception of requiring verification of functionality.

The first type is CTF (Capture the Flag):

Mission 1 includes:
•   Unable to lock player targets unless they obtained an enemy flag.
•   Music changes on flag capture.
•   Score board.
•   Winners get Jump Engines, Losers Get Nova’ed.
•   Bases provide support.
•   Asteroids to hide in.

Mission 2 includes:
•   Unable to lock player targets unless they obtained an enemy flag.
•   Music changes on flag capture.
•   Score board.
•   Winners get Jump Engines, Losers Get Nova’ed.
•   Bases provide support.
•   Asteroids to hide in.
•   Violent Nebula.
•   Navigational Boies to help prevent swaying off the course.

The second type is a Conquest:
Mission 1 includes:
•   3 bases starting off as neutral.
•   Ownership of base 1 provides team with targeting immunity.
•   Ownership of base 2 provides repair and re-supply.
•   Ownership of base 3 provides AI support from fighters and G.O.D.’s.
•   Winning conditions

:yes:   First team to take all 3 bases triggers a 5 minute nova. Failure to retake a base will result in losing team being dusted.
:yes:   First team to stack 100 player kills.

•   Each base has a unique music theme; most recent base taken triggers the theme.
The big cool ship...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Sounds very cool. I've done a King of the Hill type mission which Im more than happy to port to TBP sooner or later but I've not done as much with it as you have. There are some nice ideas in there. I definitely like the idea of changing the tune when something happens :)

Sounds very cool. I've done a King of the Hill type mission which Im more than happy to port to TBP sooner or later but I've not done as much with it as you have. There are some nice ideas in there. I definitely like the idea of changing the tune when something happens :)

The game was designed to challange one's SKILL not one's ship/weapons/missiles.  When you start playing FS2 my way, it becomes more like a D2 game without the tunnels.  At this point, if something that can effect game win/loss happens, the change in music (though seems more like a GUI thing) is actually a indicator of a changed event.
The big cool ship...

3.6.7 can be found here.

I downloaded new engine.  No change on crashing.  However, I am able to quary for FS2NetD when selecting PXO, but no successfull connection was ever made.  I registered to http://freespaceserver.cjb.net/fs2netd/.  I downloaded FS2Net Games Viewer from SCP web site and logged in (so no servers up).  I don't know what to do beyound this point.
The big cool ship...

Offline Slasher

Maybe this could get some more multiplayer games going.  In the past we've had next to zero luck starting any up.

I tried doing a direct IP connect and it's showing no servers (no way to connect between each other.  I CAN NOT TEST my maps.  I don't know if FS2NetD is going to be back up any time soon.  Out of interest of my maps and the interest in getting FS2 into a multi player arena, I need some way to do some testing that's EFFICIENT.  Does anyone have access to the server files needed to start up a private server?  Even if I have to make a intranet to test this stuff, I'm willing to do it.  I don't intend to stop what I'm doing, and I desire to use multiple mods to create these maps.

BTW, IPX mode in FS2 crashes when used.  I know that IPX is not really the gold mind in a programmer's throughts, but if SCP is not going to use it, could they please remove it as an option?
The big cool ship...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've got no idea why you're not finding the other PC when playing an IP game. Who are you playing with? Have you made sure both PCs have each others IP addresses?

Yes, all located within the same subnet in a LAN.  192.168.0.100 does not detect 192.168.0.101 and vise versa.  Yet I can ping and trace route each other's systems without any problems in under 1ms per request.
The big cool ship...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Firewall?

Firewall?

Don't see how that can be if we are behind it.  Got this from the debugger:
Code: [Select]

ML 02/22 23:11:45~   Network (FS2OpenPXO): send_server_query(192.168.0.101)

ML 02/22 23:11:45~   Network (FS2OpenPXO): send_server_query(192.168.0.100)

ML 02/22 23:11:45~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:11:50~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:11:50~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:11:55~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:11:55~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:12:00~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:12:00~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:12:05~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:12:05~   Socket error on socket_get_data()
ML 02/22 23:12:11~   Socket error on socket_get_data()

I decided to take this a step further.  I ran ethereal on the same machine that's running as the host for FS2_SCP and found that "NO PACKETS" are being sent from this program.  The recieving end may be working but no broadcasts are being made.  The debugger does seem to be showing some information:
ML 02/22 23:32:08~   Sending GAME_UPDATE
ML 02/22 23:32:10~   Sending NETPLAYER_UPDATE
ML 02/22 23:32:11~   Sending GAME_UPDATE
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 0.405 (0.405)
ML 02/22 23:32:13~   Sending NETPLAYER_UPDATE
For example, every time the above is shown on the debugger, you would expect ethereal to capture the packets.  This is however, not the case.

The MS firewall is current off.

Now I did run a test to see if ethereal detected packets from FS2_SCP when attempting to connect to FS2NetD.  This is what I got:
FS2 DEBUGGER:

ML 02/22 23:32:08~   Sending GAME_UPDATE
ML 02/22 23:32:10~   Sending NETPLAYER_UPDATE
ML 02/22 23:32:11~   Sending GAME_UPDATE
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 0.405 (0.405)
ML 02/22 23:32:13~   Sending NETPLAYER_UPDATE

Ethereal
2 36.875640 192.168.0.100 65.85.207.108 TCP 3700 > 12000 [SYN] Seq=0 Ack=0 Win=65535 Len=0 MSS=1460
3 39.872457 192.168.0.100 65.85.207.108 TCP 3700 > 12000 [SYN] Seq=0 Ack=0 Win=65535 Len=0 MSS=1460
4 45.907717 192.168.0.100 65.85.207.108 TCP 3700 > 12000 [SYN] Seq=0 Ack=0 Win=65535 Len=0 MSS=1460
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:44:27 pm by xenthorious »
The big cool ship...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Turn off PXO in the options screen and see if that makes a difference.

Turn off PXO in the options screen and see if that makes a difference.

No broadcast with PXO turned off.  Broadcast is only heard when requesting to connect to PXO (FS2NetD).  BTW, I edit'ed the above post and provided ethereal input. 
The big cool ship...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Broadcast packets aren't sent to FS2NetD.  They are only for LAN play.  FS2NetD has a special heart-beat packet which advertises the game server but it's not really a broadcast packet.  The traditional broadcast packet is restricted to your subnet for game advertising.

The Ethereal output is from using FS2NetD (PXO enabled), though I guess you already knew that, but that IP isn't for the current FS2NetD server anyway.  All FS2 games go over port 7808, unless the game binary was modified to use a different port, in which case everyone needs to use the same exe in order to see games.

Before connecting to FS2NetD, an ICMP packet is sent to the server's address to announce that the client is ready to recieve.  This is needed because without it, the server does not have my domain name listed as a broadcastee.  Ethereal is showing a time out on the returning of that ICMP packet.  As you said, the port was 7808, but UDP, not TCP.

When connecting to a LAN, and acting as a client (not host), the same thing is being done.  It's as if the host does not exist.

When running as host, no broadcasts are made, not even the ICMP packet.  There is no firewalls enabled between the host and the client and both are in the same subnet (restricting the issues that could be caused by NAT out side of this problem).  This is a code issue now.

As for the wrong IP...  I could sware that I downloaded the latest engine.  If there's a way to connect to a WORKING server, I really need to know it.  I'm busy solving these problems when I should be solving the ones within the maps I made.  I'm really happy that I am able to help the SCP team out by providing all this information but in all honesty, I could care very little about any of it.  To me, without the maps I'm making, the work involved in fixing these networking issues have little meaning because there is no sign of player support UNTIL they can appreciate the maps I made.
The big cool ship...