Author Topic: FS1 Top Scrolling Shooter  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
FS1 Top Scrolling Shooter
I am now taking a 20 week programming course in Visual Basic.  At the end of this course, we need to complete a final project.  This year, the project is a game.  I thought it might be possible to turn FS1 into a top-scrolling shooter.  The concept I want to execute is difficult to explain with a short post, so here is a link to the game that gave me the idea.  (Granted the game is almost 20 years old, but it still looks kind of cool.)

Link to Tyrian2000:
http://tyrian.dl.spilsby.net/tyrian2000.zip

In order to run it, you will also need DosBox:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
Click the Downloads link at the top of the page.
Click the link that says "Windows", with Win32 installer next to it.
Pick a mirror.

To run it:
Open DosBox.
Type "mount <drive letter> <Tyrian2000 directory>" without the quotes.  (Example:  mount c c:\Tyrian2000)
Type c:
Type Setup
Set music to Midi 330h
Set sound to Suondblaster DMA 1
Set detail to Low
Save and exit
Type "Tyrian"

My game will not be as ambitious as this one, but it will follow the same general concept.

However, due to my lack of knowledge of drawing ships,  I need volunteers to help make them.  Anyone who does so would get a mention in the credits.  I would also post the finished product on HLP.  JPEG images should be fine.  Fighters should be about the same size as your ship in Tyrian, bombers slightly larger, and so forth.  I ask only that the ships not be too huge. 

NOTE:  I reserve the right to request that any ships that do not fit the game be altered.  Possible reasons include:  they are too small/large, wrong file format, etc.

Here is a list of the ships I need:
GTF Apollo
GTB Ursa
SF Manticore
SB Shaitan
SC Cain
SD Demon
SD Lucifer

I also need effects:
Green Prometheus shots
Interceptor missile and trail
Tsunami torpedo and trail
Red Shivan shots
Lucifer beams
Starfield (Nothing fancy)

I may request additional things, but there shouldn't be too many more.

The rest of the images I can get myself.

2ND NOTE:  This project is highly theoretical.  My teacher may not allow me to do it.  I may not have the required knowledge by the end of the course.  I may not be able to do it in the allotted time.  If that is the case, I will TRY to finish it at home.  However, I don't have the VBasic compiler at my house.  If someone could suggest one similar to Microsoft's Visual Basic Studio,  I would greatly appreciate it.

3RD NOTE:  I realize I said this is a project for a class.  I am being graded on my programming ability, not the quality of my images.  By contributing ships/effects, you will NOT be helping me cheat.  (Just thought I would clarify that point.)

I think that covers everything...

*Whew*  Done with the long post...   :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:09:45 pm by Tyrian »
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: FS1 Top Scrolling Shooter
If you have FS + FS2, modelview 32, and vpview32, you have everything you need.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Wow!  I just looked at the DOSBox emulator page, and it seems that a bunch of old DOS games that I used to love, and in fact still have, are in fact supported by this program.  I'll have to give this a serious try when my week off comes.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Tyrian

@Raa -- Thanks.  Model request withdrawn.  (Sorry guys.)  I'll grab those tools and get to work.   :D

@Trivial -- Always glad to promote nostalgia.  There are still lots of great DOS games out there.

EDIT:  What about the weapon effects?  And can I save images in JPEG format?

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Weapon effects would probably best be redrawn by hand, as the FS system for making weapons is... interesting. And I don't know if/when the SCP will have a window that will preview what a primary laser bolt will look like. (Though that'd be really handy, a real time weapon display for when you're editting the weapons table, so you can see what the plasma blob with trails will look like as you work on it >..> )
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Tyrian

Could I draw them by hand in paint?  And how would I handle scaling them down?  (I don't want a tiny Apollo fighter shooting a giant Prometheus bolt.)

EDIT:  I can't download Modelview32 without paying fileplanet.  Is there another way for me to get it?  Also, I can't find VPView32 in the resources area.  Where do I get that?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 03:36:03 pm by Tyrian »

Sig rising...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Have you tried Google?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
EDIT:  I can't download Modelview32 without paying fileplanet.  Is there another way for me to get it?  Also, I can't find VPView32 in the resources area.  Where do I get that?
For future reference, you shouldn't have to pay to use Fileplanet, although a free Gamespy ID is required.  It should be buried somewhere on their site.

Offline Cyker

I recommend using www.bugmenot.com to bypass the evil FP login requirement.

Also, some other excellent shooters that are worth drawing inspiration from are:

Xenon 2: Megablast
Raptor: Call of the Shadows

These two are also old DOS-box-needing games, 'tho they might be a bit hard to find these days.

One that is easier to find and will run on most modern machines is Jets'n'Gunz (jng.rakeingrass.com)
It's quite possibly the most fun shoot-em-up I've played this decade ;)

And it has exploding cows!! :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Xenon 2 requires a copy of UAE not DosBox. You're not getting the full experience unless you're using an Amiga emulator :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

I can second bugmenot for dealing with all those annoying sites that want your email for spamming. Comes as a handy firefox extension too, really makes life easier :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Tyrian

Thanks.  I was too tired to even think of trying Google...  I really need to get more sleep.  >.<
And I will check out those other DosBox games.   :D

Sig rising...