Author Topic: For the Lego Fans. And For the C&C Fans  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
For the Lego Fans. And For the C&C Fans
I made this a few weeks ago. Well, not so much this as these. I suppose the thing as a whole is a this, but the individual things qualify as these.

Anyway, yes. C&C: Red Alert, in Lego.
You may remember I did it ages ago, with some vehicles attacking a power plant. Well now I've made all the rest of the vehicles and buildings.
Well, most of them. Some are all but impossible in Lego.

http://www.gbev.co.uk/LegoRA/

I might do Tiberian Sun next, although it'd be quite a challenge.

Offline Solatar

Re: For the Lego Fans. And For the C&C Fans
Damn...that's awesome.

The Tesla coil appears to have magic legos. :D

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Wow. Those are extremely well done. Most of the units immediately recognizable from RA.

Try doing some of the units from my mod: :D
http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/RA0003.GIF

What program did you use to make those and about how long did it take you? I want to make instructions for some of my designs using one of these Lego modeling programs, especially this rocket launcher I built a few years ago, but when I gave it a shot a while ago I was finding that it took forever to construct even simple things.

• Koala-monkey
I used MLCAD, and then L3P to convert them to POVRay format, and then POVRay itself to render them.

Took me about 3 weeks, on and off. :P

Offline starfox

"Holy Tesla, Batman"
Those models are totally awesome, and instantly recognizable.... :yes:
Legos sure are extremely useful for modelling practice....

Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm sure Petrarch will agree with me when I say that the plural of Lego Brick is Lego Bricks, there's no such thing as Legos :p

Seriously though, great stuff Petrarch :D

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I used MLCAD, and then L3P to convert them to POVRay format, and then POVRay itself to render them.

Took me about 3 weeks, on and off. :P

hmm, that's not too bad. I have always wanted to make instructions for this model, but don't want to spend months with it. :p

Does mlcad support special stuff like pneumatic tubes, rubber bands, fiber optic cables, electric wires and things like that?

• Koala-monkey
Sort of. There are tools for adding belts, and those segmented hose things, but I don't think there's anything for wires, pneumatics, or those flexible cable things.

Offline Roanoke

Anychance of a special appearance from a Mammoth ?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm sure Petrarch will agree with me when I say that the plural of Lego Brick is Lego Bricks, there's no such thing as Legos :p
Bull.  I've been saying "Legos" since I was five, and I'll be damned if I stop saying it now. :p

Seriously, though, I've never played C&C, but those are some amazing models. :) I wish I had had more creativity when playing with Legos; I always had the most fun following the instructions to the letter. :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Bull.  I've been saying "Legos" since I was five, and I'll be damned if I stop saying it now. :p

Doesn't make you right though. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something

Doesn't make you right though. :p
Doesn't make me wrong, either.  Considering that "Lego" is an amalgamation of two Danish words, who knows what the proper English plural form should be? :p

• Koala-monkey
If you say "Legos" you can **** off and die, quite frankly.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Dude, if you ever say "Legos" over at Lugnet, you will instantly get an army of grammar nazis telling you exactly that. :D

I used to call them Legos at one time too. But I wised up. It's either just Lego, Lego bricks or Lego pieces.

Offline starfox

Oooops, really a grammar mess that was accidentaly created....and now its let loose !
 :D

But to "**** off and die* because of the (S), I don't think I'm ready for that....
 :doubt:

Though I admit it, lego bricks sound better....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:50:44 am by starfox »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Doesn't make me wrong, either.  Considering that "Lego" is an amalgamation of two Danish words, who knows what the proper English plural form should be? :p

The people who invented the damn things perhaps?

One catalogue, dated 1980, has the following on its back page:
 Dear Parents and Children
The word LEGO(R) is a brand name and is very special to all of us in the LEGO Group Companies. We would sincerely like your help in keeping it special. Please always refer to our bricks as 'LEGO Bricks or Toys' and not 'LEGOS.' By doing so, you will be helping to protect and preserve a brand of which we are very proud and that stands for quality the world over. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 01:33:55 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have that catalog actually. Came with the 8859 Harvester I got off ebay.

• Koala-monkey
Hurrah for Kara.

Offline starfox

Indeed....my mistake. Thanks to karajorma for pointing that out
 :nervous:
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
kara, every company does something like that.  I was just reading the Wikipedia article about Spam (don't ask :p), and they're quoted as saying that they'd like people to use all capital letters in referring to their product, so as to preserve their brand name.  Obviously, no one does this.  (Interestingly enough, Hormel doesn't really mind the use of the term "spam" for the electronic variety, so long as it's lower-case.)  At any rate, I happened to read the LEGO Wiki article, and while it had the same quote that you posted, it also noted that most fans really wouldn't care, and that "Legos" is commonly used, no matter what its accuracy.  The way I see it, "Lego bricks" is probably the correct term, but I use "Legos" as a shortened version of it.  After all, a single brick is a Lego component, or one Lego.  Many of them makes many components, or Legos.  The term Lego is pretty much synonymous with Xerox, Kleenex, or Band-Aid; it's a brand name that's become synonymous with the actual product, even with the products of competitors.  As such, the use of the term "Legos" to refer to multiple Lego-brand building elements seems perfectly natural. Besides, I was probably at my wisest at six years old, so I'm sticking with my judgment back then. :p

At any rate, enough of this half-assed argument.  Props to Petrarch for his superior modeling skills, unless he threatens me with death again for perpetuating  a pop language phenomenon. :p