Author Topic: 02/24 The perfect Build?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline ShivanSpS

02/24 The perfect Build?
Well I just downloaded and tested and so far... what I have to say? this fixed every bug, what I know :P...

-Sthealths? Working
-"Jump to Destop" Crash on port, Fixed
-"Reticle targeting causing crashs on long range objects like Debris or asteorids" Fixed
-Bombers and IA on Port? OK.
-Derelict? No problems so far.
-OpenGL and Forced AA from Driver? IT WORKS! No more Black screens on Alt+TAB! Well there stills some problems on swich tasks, but a least you can restore FS2..

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: 02/24 The perfect Build?
It's certainly been the best build I've seen for quite a while. I tried the AA though and it still doesn't work for me. :(

This is also one rather annoying bug in this build that has been around for a long time. Probably my fault for not reporting it earlier; I was using a much older build most of the time until now and just assumed it had been fixed in more recent ones.

Offline ShivanSpS

Well its works for me... but the problem now is that I cant swich task :( but at leat if some windows up in the back, the game will not minimize and you can still playing... but ayway, the black screen is no more :D

Try to create a personal profile to FS which AA and AF...

http://galeon.com/shivansps/aaaf.JPG

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have Nvidia cards. I tried making the profile for it and there is a performance hit as expected, but I don't actually see any AA.

Offline ShivanSpS

You right. is not the AA is the AF :(

In-game the diference is a lot... The JPG comprecion degrades too much, so icant give you a screen, try to put the AF to 16x in OGL and see...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
hmm, there is actually one huge problem in this build. Seems to be something that came up with the IFF changes. I hope it's fixed soon.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Lost generation
So as you said, the biggest performance impact is atually the one you get by raising the AF on the profile specs?  :confused:
I feel like an exile......

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I always have AF at 16x for everything. Modern cards can do AF with barely any performance hit, although in FS2 it doesn't have a very noticeable effect. But I can't get any AA even if I force it at the driver level.

Offline ShivanSpS

I always have AF at 16x for everything. Modern cards can do AF with barely any performance hit, although in FS2 it doesn't have a very noticeable effect. But I can't get any AA even if I force it at the driver level.

Disable the AF and see, there is a lot of diference... Look a Orion or a Deimos... (At close range of corse).

Do you try a D3D AA 6x? (this is the max of my card), is apear to making not effect too.

lol wait a minute, try to Force a AA 2x and AF 16x on OpenGL... Is appear to be making effect but i not sure :P

About the performance, the AF 16x in FS2 dont give me any performance hit... my game its always runing at 60 FTS and sometimes for somereason the Lock stop working and the game start running at the extreme speed of 110 FPS! lol

The 60 FPS Lock cant be changed to 100?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I can only see the difference if I get close to a larger ship and the textures become blurry. AF makes far away textures that are seen at angles look sharper, but in FS2 the shimmering tends to be more of a problem than blurry textures and AF can sometimes make that worse.

I tried 4x multi AA and 16x combined AA and can definitely still see the jagged edges in both modes.

If you're not sure whether you're getting it or not, compare it with D3D mode, where forcing the AA works fine.

Offline ShivanSpS

A orion at 3500M look = in OpenGL which nothing and in D3D AA 6x...., that cant be posible.

And not AA4x try the 2x only....

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
OGL has v-sync support now so if you seem to be locked on a FPS of 60, 75, 85, etc. then make sure to run with -no_vsync and see if that fixes it.  There is also a "MaxFPS" registry option which can restrict the FPS to a maximum number if you wish (if you don't/can't use v-sync and wish a specific max FPS).

Task switching related stuff is still in progress.  The thing is that constantly minimizing the game is getting on everyone's nerve's, so it can just jump to a window now.  It needs a little more work to the events so that for certain things it can still go minimized rather than to a window.  After that it should jump to a window if it's a game related message, and go minimized if it's a system related event message (like task switching).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
A orion at 3500M look = in OpenGL which nothing and in D3D AA 6x...., that cant be posible.

And not AA4x try the 2x only....

I have no idea what you're talking about. :wtf:

2x AA can be hard to notice, as it doesn't really do a lot. Although if it actually works I could give it a try.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 01:25:52 pm by CP5670 »

Does AF need mipmapping to have any real effect? 

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Does AF need mipmapping to have any real effect? 
AF really only does anything for mipmaps.  It's basically just a sharpening filter for mipmaped images.  Read the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering) on it for a more detailed explaination, and an example of it's affect.