Author Topic: How they might destroy the Gargant  (Read 41826 times)

Offline mr.WHO

Re: How they might destroy the Gargant
You mean it have the same weapon config, or same weapon placing philosophy (I mean like Ravana and Sathanas, both have diffrend config, but both have similar frontal weapon placing) ??

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
well they won't have the exact same config since the Geb is a corvette and doesn't have Apothess beams...

I wonder if we could somehow coax the Gigas into jumping into a system that has a black hole, and luring it near the black hole sos that the hole will suck it up. ;7
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:48:48 am by 214 »

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

You wanna bet that it could use the subspace weapon to destroy the black hole? Or simply jump out if it gets too close. The intense gravity might warp subspace a bit, but Shivans are very good at navigating unstable areas of subspace.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

meh, If we could CREATE a black hole near the Gigas, it probably wouldn't have enough time to warp out before it was sucked in.  .

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

You DO know how black holes are made don't you? Extra-large supernovas result in black holes. You want to waste another GTVA star system?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CaptJosh

Better create it with the thing already inside the event horizon, or there's no way.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

That would mean that the Gigas would be in the middle of the star.  :p

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38622.msg787555.html#msg787555

...modified...meson... feedback, anyone?  :nervous:
Errrgh... no one understood what I meant.  :ick:  :rolleyes:
    I meant that the GTVA was worried that the Sathanas would be able to cause a ship's reactors to go nova themselves, using their subspace distortion weapon.

If you could use the modified Mesons to overload the Gigas and/or Gargant's reactors... you wouldn't need to worry about the Gigas/Gargant being too powerful to be destroyed, as its own reactors' overload would destroy itself.

Even if this might not be enough to blow up the superstructure, it would certainly leave the Gigas / Gargant as a gigantic piece of space debris (the reactors would be vaporized along with any structures around them), and all Shivans inside would definately be toast, unless they were in compartments specifically designed for withstanding Gigas / Gargant reactor meltdowns.

In fact, having the Gigas/Gargant as space debris might help turn the tide for the GTVA, if there was enough technology left to study, and if they could prevent the Shivans from chasing them away from the remains.

Now that we're clear on what I meant, is there any feedback?   Is this a silly idea, cool idea, not practical idea, or what? 

The problem is that reactors, being the proverbial "hearts" of a ship, are the most heavily guarded part of it. I guess I don't see how a modified Meson bomb/Executioner Torpedo would overload the reactor.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
...Then why was the GTVA worried about the Sathanas using its Subspace distortion weapon to attack ships' reactors?  I think I remember reading that, although maybe I imagined it.  (I doubt that.)

umm, Hunter, there are other ways to create black holes (none of them I can think of off of the top of me head). . .

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

I think you're referring to Inferno's Tech Room entry on the Sathanas, wherein it states that the rift weapon could be turned against ships. It says nothing about reactors though.

umm, no, I wasn't referring to that, but that helps my point, anyway, I didn't say that we had to destroy the subsystems, before the ship could jump out, the black hold would have sucked it in. . .  :hopping:

also, jr2, your idea might work if we could find a weapon that could penetrate (penetrate, not destroy) the Gigas/ Gargant's hull to get it TO the subsystem. . .  :nod:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 06:54:30 pm by 214 »

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I think you're referring to Inferno's Tech Room entry on the Sathanas, wherein it states that the rift weapon could be turned against ships. It says nothing about reactors though.
Rift weapon = nova.  Sun = big, huge reactor in space.  I don't think the GTVA was referring to it shorting out subsystems.

That's assuming reactors are built to function exactly like suns..... which I doubt. Also, we don't know HOW the rift weapon affected the star........ and that might be an important clue as to whether it would affect starship reactors.

i'm gonna say that the rift weapon theory is out (not that anybody presented it) because we don't HAVE that technology, and we have no idea HOW the Shivans did that, nor do we know whether or not teh GTVA knows HOW the Shivans destroyed the sun (seeing how anybody who SAW the sun blow up would be, simply, DEAD)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 08:43:10 pm by 214 »

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

He wasn't saying that we would use the subspace rift, he was talking about the Shivans using it to blow up our ships.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
He wasn't saying that we would use the subspace rift, he was talking about the Shivans using it to blow up our ships.
Yarrrrr!!
I'm talking about...nice and easy, here, the GTVA uses modified meson warheads to destroy (by overloading) the Gigas/Gargant reactors.  They got this idea because they were afraid that the Sathanas would use its subspace rift weapon to overload their reactors.  Therefore, I'm assuming that subspace can affect reactors somehow.  (Obviously, it can affect certain types, because the sun is a fusion reactor, and the subspace rift weapons used by the Sathanases in Capella caused that sun to go nova.)
Now, try to follow... if the subspace rift weapon can cause the sun to blow, and the GTVA is concerned that it could cause their reactors to blow, then perhaps the Meson warhead, which collapses subspace nodes, could be modified to affect a Gigas or Gargant in the same way that the GTVA was afraid the Sathanas subspace rift weapon could be used.
*just had a sudden thought*
Of course, all of this is moot if the Meson is simply a humongous nuke.  I mean, it was used to destroy the Knossos because it was designed to destroy subspace nodes, not because it was just a tremendously powerful bomb, right?
And anyways, all of this (my idea) is probably silly.  I just can't see why it's so hard to understand what I've been trying to communicate.  Perhaps my misunderstanding of the Meson bomb...
PS
That's assuming reactors are built to function exactly like suns.....
You mean, by fusing atoms to produce radiation?  :lol:
PPS (don't kill me)
partial re-post from http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38622.msg787555.html#msg787555 :
(read the rest of that post, I think it's funny!)
OK, here's a thought:  The GTVA in FS2 was worried that the Sathanas' subspace-distortion weapon could be used against ship reactors because the reactors are sort of similar to the sun...the Meson was used to collapse the Capella subspace node...22=4...Let's see if we can modify the Meson, have an automated transport jump it in beside the Gargant, and let it rip.   :eek:  Of course, you'd probably want to test the effects of the bombs as you were developing them on some old Great War relics...maybe use smaller bombs that wouldn't blow up the reactors, just cause a surge, so you could rig a ton of sensors and see what the effects are, and then finally test the real one on an old Orion or something.  And who knows, maybe you'd need more than one bomb, and of course you'd want a backup.
PPPS I'm a little sleepy right now, so if I didn't come across right or understand what was being said right, you can't blame me.  :p jk  I will look at this after I get some sleep, though.  It appears 214 had some idea as well that I didn't quite catch.  (Black Hole?!?)
PPPPS EDIT:
I just noticed you said Inferno techroom.  No, I don't think I got it from there.  I believe it was a canon source.  Not to mention the fact that Inferno R1 isn't even canon in Inferno.

You DO know how black holes are made don't you? Extra-large supernovas result in black holes. You want to waste another GTVA star system?

In any case the SubSpace Rift could lead to:

If the Mass and size of the Sun is not enough big to create a Dark Hole, but enough to go into SuperNova (and not a Nova), then a Neutron Star will result, in any case, the gravity field and Mass of a Neutron Star is truly impressive, I believe the damage done to the system would just be very much like the same.

In the other case, if the size and mass is not enough to go into SuperNova, the Sun will start rising it's temperature and just glowing more intense until, we would all get a nice tan over the skin (no, it's a joke, we'll burn to death for sure, and so anything in that system probabily).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course we don't know how a SubSpace Rift would affect a Ship, that's my whole point for think why the hell the Sathanas blow the Sun an just not the ships with it, without loose any Sathanas...this make me thinks it just doesn't work against ships with Warp Drives...

In series the SubSpace Rift is supposed to create a Warp Hole, the same you use to Warp, but in this case it does damages. However if the Ship has no Warp Drive and stands before the SubSpace Rift for some time it's Hull starts to being rip. A ship would be able to Warp just through it with a Warp Drive without suffering damage.

---------------------------------------------

Another question is why in the FMV the SubSpace Rift was Green and not blue, if you remember SubSpace horizon colour is blue, and so the Warp is also Blue.

Aside from SubSpace and Normal Space, there are supposed to be other unexplored Space Layers, that didn't really appear in the FS universe:

Maybe the Green colour was just to reflect it was a Rift, but do it was a SubSpace one ?. A rift should be able to happen with any kind of space.

----------------------------------------------------

I recommend that you read this, you won't learn it in FreeSpace, at least for the ones that are interested in how Space Layers work:

http://personal.davidtulga.com/sct.htm

Of course most of the content is fictional, but before say something remember the past:

revolutionary: "I say the Earth is round"
Ignorant people: "He is crazy, let's kill him/her"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 11:18:39 pm by Shadow0000 »