Author Topic: Loki  (Read 40567 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I'd need to see the height map to be able to tell more accurately, but I suspect you just need to use thinner lines. How are you making them currently?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Off may main map, they're simple 1px lines.

edit: OHhh I think I got the solution, in crazybump, set intensity, fine detail, medium detail to 99, set large and very large to 0.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:56:59 pm by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
VA: I _already_ had a problem shooting at the loki's. Kept ramming into them. Now I don't even want to do that.

They're the enemy, dangit! You make it too hard to blow them up.

(In other words, really dig that new normal map. Must be in 3.6.10 IMO.)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
lol, well glad you like it. It should be in the upcoming MVPs. :)

Scooby: Can you post the source heightmap?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Here you go: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Shodan_AI/ratooth-bump.jpg

Also setting medium to 66%, large to 33% and verylarge at 0 also works too.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Oh, I didn't realise the Loki in the beta VPs was different to the page 1 release. I still had those ones installed. I actually prefer that original to this new one, but yeah, the one in the VPs was definitely too much.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
The loki map in the betas is the same as the one first page of this topic. The one I've just posted is a modified version of that same map that has a few minor fixes, and no texture roughness to it. :)

Scooby: Here's what I changed it to:

And here's the normal map I get when using the same crazybump settings as on the loki:
http://www.sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/FSU_Fixes/ScoobyDooHeightmap.zip (might need to copy+paste the link)

See what it looks like with this version of the normal map. :)
Twisted Infinities

What effect/blend options did you use for the lines?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

Why are the bolt holes elliptical in the bump map? That will result in elliptical holes. :nervous:

Also, jpg is not very good for transferring source files, the artefacts will look dumb when they get normalized... :blah:

I also made a couple versions of the height map and normal maps, and dumped it here, if you wanna check them out. I don't use Crazybump, though, those were made with varying settings on GIMP's normal map plugin.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Why are the bolt holes elliptical in the bump map? That will result in elliptical holes. :nervous:

Also, jpg is not very good for transferring source files, the artefacts will look dumb when they get normalized... :blah:

I also made a couple versions of the height map and normal maps, and dumped it here, if you wanna check them out. I don't use Crazybump, though, those were made with varying settings on GIMP's normal map plugin.

Probably because i'm using bevel and emboss layer style for them.  I was using nvidias plugin filter for photoshop, but crazybump has more features, such as strength.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
All I did was darken the white down to roughly mid-grey, selected the grey areas with the wand select so it left out the black plate lines, and then applied a round bevel to it all with the light set to come from directly above. This creates that strange fade blend thing you can see that I've found makes nice plates.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
The loki map in the betas is the same as the one first page of this topic.
No, it's not. The rocky texture is much stronger in the VP version than it is in the earlier release.

The original release:

The Media VP release:

Well, it's the same one you decided to create a replacement for anyways VA.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

I'm starting to worry about that rocky texture effect when I start normalling my cap ships.  I'd probably create a bumpmap version of the base texture instead of desaturating the diffuse map and using that.

Sorry VA, don't really like it, suffers from the massive panel problem.   I had found a sweet spot, but I forgot to write down the settings.  :blah:

Think I found it: 99, 99, 66, 33, 0

You can definetely see it work when it's moving

after-thought.... you know that overly done Ulysses will fit perfectly with those few alien/crab ships i made ages ago,
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 01:17:56 am by Scooby_Doo »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
The loki map in the betas is the same as the one first page of this topic.
No, it's not. The rocky texture is much stronger in the VP version than it is in the earlier release.
Wow....uh, yeah I just confirmed this looking at the actual files. It looks like the contrast was drastically increased or something. Thanks for pointing it out.

DaBrain, did you fiddle? :p

Scooby - what does that map I uploaded actually look like in-game? The pannels *should* be roughly the right shape, though possibly a bit tall. It's the right shape you're after though, because that's the tricky bit. Getting the correct overall intensity (height) after that is just a matter of the strength slider in crazybump.
Twisted Infinities

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
I have to agree that I don't like the Loki's 'bumpy skin' too much. The other normal mapped details on it look good though.
And the model itself is of 1st class, of course :)
I liked the look alot.  The tech description goes on about a "micro-roughened hull" - I know that it's unlikely to show up on a macro scale to that extent, but it looks good.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

The loki map in the betas is the same as the one first page of this topic. The one I've just posted is a modified version of that same map that has a few minor fixes, and no texture roughness to it. :)

So, when the official VPs for 3.6.10 are released (presumably when the entire 3.6.10 release is made), some of these ships' maps will have changed slightly (or significantly) from those maps that were recently released in the beta VPs?
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb