Author Topic: Mac OS X FS2Open Help  (Read 1039 times)

Mac OS X FS2Open Help
Hello everyone:

I've recently came upon the fact that FreeSpace 2 is open source and available for Mac! I have the game for PC and used to play it back in 2000 I believe, and loved it, but I switched to Mac 5 years ago and haven't touched it since. I found out I can run it on my Mac and am excited.

I only have a couple questions. I did some searches on the forum, but I'm not totally clear about how it works on OS X.

1.  According to VersionTracker, there is a "FreeSpace 2.0" download of approximately 1.4 GB. Is it a standard binary or the FS2Open binary? Also, is this the whole game? It seems kind of large to be just the launcher.

2.  The copy of FreeSpace 2 I have came with an IBM PC I bought several years ago. It does seem to include FRED2. Where can I find that, and does it work under OS X?

3.  If I get the FS2Open binary, how do I take advantage of the better graphics, etc.? I looked at the official site, but some of the stuff is a little over my head, and looks Windows-specific.

4.  I was playing with a demo version of FS2 for Mac that I found on someone's iDisk (can't remember who it was). It runs perfectly, but the mouse seems slow during game play, even with the sensitivity set to highest. I recall the mouse sensitivity being much higher on Windows. Why is that?

I think that's all for now  :nod:  Thanks in advance!
The AppleAuthority

on www.ehmac.ca

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Re: Mac OS X FS2Open Help
Hi.  The best place for discussing Mac stuff is in the Cross Platform Development subforum in the Source Code Project forum.

The short answer to your main question is this:

You can download the latest OS X app from http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/nightly/

However, you'll also need to get all the data files from off of your Freespace 2 CDs.  If you have a Windows machine available, you can simply do the install there and then copy the FreeSpace2 directory over to your Mac.  Otherwise you'll have to find another method.  There is a topic about it somewhere in the Cross Plat Dev forum.

Oh, and
:welcome:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 04:06:17 pm by Sesquipedalian »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Re: Mac OS X FS2Open Help
Thank you for the info, the link, and the welcome! Greatly appreciated. :)
The AppleAuthority

on www.ehmac.ca