Author Topic: More sane version of the animated beamglows!  (Read 26370 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: More sane version of the animated beamglows!
You're spot on. Putting them in Data\Effects won't have any effect at all in fact. The mediavps folder is higher priority than anything in Freespace2\Data regardless of whether its in a VP or simply stuffed in a folder.

The only time this won't be true is if the versions in the media VP are in a graphics format with a lower priority than the ones in the Data folder. If that's the case though it doesn't matter where you put them. They'll still be overridden.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline bloated

ok so if the beamglow files won't work in Data/effects then where do we put them?

I dropped them into Data effects and haven't noticed anything.

as a side note I downloaded the FS2-new weapon FX_v0.5a and the read me is a little spartan, I don't expect an answer from this thread but it would be great if someone could tell me which thread or link the thread so that I can find the answer as to which files exactly are images and ANI's.... obviously ani's are the .ani's and the tables I assume were the .tbl but the model tags and additional images tags I wasn't 100% sure which were which so am currently hesitating on installing.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I have them in

..\Freespace 2\DDS_beamglows\data\effects\

and I have that mod directory activated along with many other mod directories... for example, if I want to play Derelict, the mod directory selection would be following:

-mod Derelict,mv_beamz_DDS_HIGH,DDS_beamglows,mediavp368zeta

which activates Derelict, my own beam textures, DDS beamglows and finally mediaVP's. In this order, the contents of mv_beamz_DDS_HIGH and DDS_beamglows supercede the corresponding content in mediaVP directory.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline bloated

So I'll be creating another folder tree called \DDS_beamglows\data\effects\ within the Freespace 2 folder?

I'm going to try it anyway but if you confirm that would be great.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:01:38 pm by bloated »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Confirmed. That works for me and should work for everyone else too.

The only "negative" effect in this (compared to putting them in mediaVPs\data\effects) is that it involves a little more sophisticated and complex mod path, but on the positive side, your mediaVP directory remains intact and it may save a lot of trouble later on.

Same applies to every mod. I prefer to install and use every separate mod from their own mod folders with multimod command line (or putting in the mods the necessary mod.ini files).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline bloated

agreed thanks for the help it worked nicely and so far without issue.

I'll spend some more time looking into it, of all the tweaks I've done I'm certain this one worked and worked well immediately.

I'll likely follow the same practice when I can.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:37:01 pm by bloated »

Offline At

• Eklektikon
I can open the exe archive just fine using p7zip. (I'mma using a Mac... <.< >.>).  Then again, I'm guessing most mac users don't habitually keep X11 open.

Also, I'd like to ask if you could put the files you wanna compress into a folder, and compress that instead.  I don't like it when I open something and suddenly BLAGGAFRAHLIPOOPFILESALLOVERYOURFOLDER!

I won't really be able to try anything FS until school's out.  Lotsa work... :(

At least I'll be able to use my Athlon tower again.
Does there exist a StarFox Mod?  Yes!  Check out Shadows of Lylat!

That thing…its just too persistant.

Sadhal thought to himself in between his pants. After a few seconds, his breathing came under control, and the pain subsided. Sadhal couldn’t help but feel a significant amount of fear and apprehension.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
i had forget to copy that in a folder, before i compressed it.
but i was then to lazy to upload it again, as i notice my mistake.

now i recompressed it and upload it again, now if you extraced the files, they are in the folder effects after extracting.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Im having serious trouble with the beamz...

Im using the sane version of the beamglows, took out the adveffects vp, the effects vp, and turned my res down to 1024x768...but everytime a ship fires a single beam and i look at it, my fps drops to about 10.

I have an Athlon 64 X2 4400+, a 7900 GTX w/ 512 MB DDR3, and 1 GB of RAM.

I dont think i should be having this problem...what gives?

btw, i am using build 3.6.9 and the 3.6.8 mediavps.

This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg