Author Topic: Afterburner not working  (Read 1079 times)

Afterburner not working
OK I am running Windows XP x64 latest build with original retail FS2. I am using a Saitek Evo. This problem started even before I installed the stick. this is what happens Throttle works great with z axis, if I push either the (TAB) or an assigned key I hear the afterburner kick on but all it does is increase throttle to max. when released it goes back to my throttle setting.  In a Myrmidon it never goes above 75 and it uses no afterburner reserves.

So what do you think is this a keyboard code problem? Like maybe the key isn't being reported as held and is just doing a repeat? I am baffled I tried uninstalling the stick and even my keyboard (a bluetooth) and had no benefit. I can still play but dam it's like being the fat kid at summer camp, I am always left behind by the faster boys.

Help me please I need to blow up some bad guys and Lucas wont put out a new version of Xwing vs. Tie fighter

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Afterburner not working
It's not a key thing, as you've said that the game responds to both the depression and the release of the afterburner button.  What this sounds like is the infamous afterburner bug that has been around virtually forever, in which case what you are hearing is not the afterburner sound but the afterburner failure sound (a clicking and cooldown sound).  The solution is to set FS2.exe to run in compatibility mode (Windows 98) and that usually solves it for most people, or to download Freespace Open and use that instead.

And of course,

Welcome to HLP!
:welcome:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Yep I tried a search on the problem in the forum but I couldn't search for some reason. Then after some speed reading and massive eyestrain (i really want to play FS2) I found a post that mentioned it thanks for your help though and thanks for the welcome.

I feel all warm and cuddly inside. :) Now time to kill something wait... Is there something wrong with wanting to kill after feeling all warm and cuddly?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hehe, yeah, search is borked at the moment :(

And it's better to feel all warm and cuddly before killing something than after ;)