Author Topic: The Light and the Darkness...  (Read 2453 times)

The Light and the Darkness...
...I think the name of the mission is.

You jmup in with orders to disable the PVC-Aten and destroy all cargo canisters. Part way through the Shivan Cruiser Taranis enters the area and begins trying to destroy the Aten - it's one of the earlier missions, during the Hammer of Light story arc.

I disable the Aten, and nothing happens. Even with the Aten completely turreted, engines disabled, and weapons module disabled, no-one tries to capture it. The Shivans just keep plugging away at it, eventually destroying it, and the mission fails. I've triewd this mission about twenty five or so times.

Any hints? Am I missing something?

-Destrier

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Re: The Light and the Darkness...
It's meant to get destroyed, for plot reasons.

Hmm...I did wonder if this was the case. For some reason, it won't let me progress past the mission, though. I must be failing something else. Ta for the feedback.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I've always found it easier to beat up on the Taranis in that mission and let the Shivans handle the HoL cruiser.  It should be impossible to completely fail for losing the cruiser, so I'm somewhat curious as to what debriefing you're recieving.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Must have been some kind of weird, one-off glitch. I played it again, survived until the end, and this time got the orders to jump home. The first time (when it failed) I got the message that "We have no recommendations for you", but when I clicked on continue, it told me I had to complete the mission.

Perhaps the first time I missed something that stopped the RTB order from triggering? Anyway, it works now. Now I just need to find a FSO build that gets me past the Eva mission's CTD...

Offline Solatar

I'm pretty sure you still need to destroy the cargo in the depot. If you didn't, that might have caused it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That mission has always annoyed me. I introduced a few hacks to make it go a bit faster but they got rolled back when the mission was re-ported for 3.0. Ditto for the Plato.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
To be fair, that mission was buggy in retail FS1. Sometimes the Shivans refused to attack the HoL cruiser and preferred to fly in circles.
Which leaves you with the disabled cruiser nobody wants to capture, until you destroy it yourself.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea