Author Topic: MediaVP doesn't work from other modfolder.  (Read 3931 times)

MediaVP doesn't work from other modfolder.
when MediaVPs works from other modfolder. (use mod.ini)
MediaVPs was normally loaded but only work some stuff. :sigh:
(splash screen, High-poly Medusa, etc...)
i confirmed mod.ini.
and this problem doesn't exist on other My PC.

----
PC Spec (My SubMachine)
CPU: PENTIUM4 1.6G
MEM: 512M
VIDEO: GeForceFX 5900XT
Sound: Soundblaster live!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:39:05 pm by Arkblade »

Re: MediaVP doesn't work from other modfolder.
MediaVP's are considered a mod in and of themselves by the game, so, no they wouldn't work out of a different mod folder. Most mods nowadays have their own VP files. If you wish to have the MediaVPs on all the time (like I do) put them in the main FS2 folder, not their own.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Better way is to use mod.ini files and place those inside your modfolder

Example of mod.ini files contents
Code: [Select]
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,Mediavps;

Assuming that the MediaVPs are is Mediavps named directory

@Arkblade
Are you sure that the mod you are trying to run doesnt override mediaVP stuff with some older graphics?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A lot of mods included their own sets of table files. The result is that these will override those in the media VPs. If you tell us which mods don't work we can tell you whether that is the cause. It's easy enough to recognise the symptoms really though. You'd get HTL models but not the fancy shockwaves, etc.

If you're not getting anything from the media VPs at all then it's probably due to you missing a mod ini like the one described above. Have a look in my FAQ for more details on how to install FS2_Open mods.

Do not put the media VPs in the main folder. It works but it could cause you no end of problems later.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

It was an insufficient explanation.
This phenomenon happens even if other modfolder is empty(Mod.ini is put),
and I checked this phenomenon with SCP of several months and MediaVP367, 368delta.

@Wanderer
I have already written mod.ini and it's work fine My Other PC.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:46:57 pm by Arkblade »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Just a check... are there empty spaces anywhere in the directory name? In either FS2 directory name or in the modfolder directory name?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

no, folder name and folder path not contain empty spaces.
and This phenomenon occurs regardless of the name of the folder.

it's fileload and cmdline part of fs.log
Passed cmdline options:
  -fov 0.45
  -2d_poof 
  -alpha_env 
  -ambient_factor 75
  -cache_bitmaps 
  -decals 
  -env 
  -jpgtga 
  -mipmap 
  -missile_lighting 
  -glow 
  -spec 
  -no_vsync 
  -ballistic_gauge 
  -dualscanlines 
  -orbradar 
  -rearm_timer 
  -targetinfo 
  -3dwarp 
  -nobeampierce 
  -ship_choice_3d 
  -warp_flash 
  -snd_preload 
  -mod @_FS2, ,@Media_VPs
Building file index...
Searching root 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\@_FS2\'
Searching root 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \root_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \smarty_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \sparky_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \sparky_hi_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \stu_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \tango1_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \tango2_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \tango3_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\ \warble_fs2.vp'
Searching root 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\@Media_VPs\'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\@Media_VPs\mv_adveffects.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\@Media_VPs\mv_core.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\@Media_VPs\mv_effects.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\@Media_VPs\mv_models.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\@Media_VPs\mv_music.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\@Media_VPs\mv_textures.vp'
Searching root 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\root_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\smarty_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\sparky_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\stu_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\tango1_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\tango2_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\tango3_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\games\volition\freespace2\warble_fs2.vp'
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:29:46 pm by Arkblade »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What have you called your media VPs folder? Cause it appears to be using the old format (Media_VPs) instead of the new one (mediavps).

@karajorma

i using @Media_VPs.
but This phenomenon occurs regardless of the name of the folder.

my mod.ini
[launcher]
image255x112 = FS2.bmp;
infotext     = Original FreeSpace 2 with the Media VP Files. ;
website      = http://scp.indiegames.us/news.php;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,50.0.html;

[multimod]
secondrylist = ,@Media_VPs;

hmm...

just now understood,
This problem has happened to all mod described to secondrylist including mediaVP.  :sigh:
(eg. fsportv3.0 - mainhall is not changed.

it's SCP's bug? :(

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Remove the @ and see what happens.

I said several times, this problem happens regardless of the name.
As for the presence of @, it is similar.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well the @ definitely shouldn't be present in the mod.ini or folder name. Let's get somethings straightened out because it makes it easier if you're using the same names as I am.

Call your mediaVP folder mediavps. Edit the mod.ini in the FS1Port folder to the same name. Run the FS1 port as your chosen mod.  Go to the Tech Room and press CTRL-SHIFT-S. That will allow you to see all the ships in the techroom.

Check whether you have the high poly version of the Hercules or not.

EDIT : I've just noticed that the Port 3.03 preload image is a PCX and will be overriden by the image in the media VPs. Do not take it's non appearance as any indication of something being wrong with the media VPs or the mod.ini system. The test with the Herc above is a better test. If you can see the pilot everything is working. :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 05:27:22 am by karajorma »

no.
i tested what you said,
but i only have low-poly ver Hercules.... :sigh:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hang on a sec. Which version of the launcher are you using? Cause mod.ini files only work with 5.3 and above.

If you are using 5.3 try this. Select no mod. Then in the custom flags box in features type -mod FS1Port,mediavps (assuming that those are the names of your FS1 Port and Media VP folders).

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
If you are using 5.3 try this. Select no mod. Then in the custom flags box in features type -mod FS1Port,mediavps (assuming that those are the names of your FS1 Port and Media VP folders).
Yeah, that should work.  The problem is just the bugs in the launcher code really.  The mods are "-mod @_FS2, ,@Media_VPs", and the ", ," (as space) counts as a mod as well.  That's why I added the the root index list to the debug info.  If you look at it (the debug info) the problem should be kinda obvious,  it's looking in @_FS2 first and finding no VPs, next it looks in " " which isn't a valid directory so the file system will consider current dir instead (meaning the main FS2 game dir), then it looks in @Media_VPs, and finally the main FS2 game dir again.  Since the original VPs are being found before the MediaVPs it would always use retail data except for certain cases (ie, EFFs are searched for before ANIs, and glow and spec maps would not be found in retail data).

So, Arkblade, just do what karajorma said and use the mod cmdline directly, ignoring the mod.ini files all together.  It should start working fine after that.  And never use @ characters (or other type symbols) in a directory or file name.  Different file systems will handle those differently (for instance the " " would have worked as a real directory under Linux) and the game could stop allowing such things at any point, especially since it could cause various unexpected issues for the game code (currently or in the future).

ok, i using the mod cmdline directly, it's work fine. :nod:
thx!

Yeah, that should work.  The problem is just the bugs in the launcher code really.  The mods are "-mod @_FS2, ,@Media_VPs", and the ", ," (as space) counts as a mod as well.  That's why I added the the root index list to the debug info.  If you look at it (the debug info) the problem should be kinda obvious,  it's looking in @_FS2 first and finding no VPs, next it looks in " " which isn't a valid directory so the file system will consider current dir instead (meaning the main FS2 game dir), then it looks in @Media_VPs, and finally the main FS2 game dir again.  Since the original VPs are being found before the MediaVPs it would always use retail data except for certain cases (ie, EFFs are searched for before ANIs, and glow and spec maps would not be found in retail data).

So, Arkblade, just do what karajorma said and use the mod cmdline directly, ignoring the mod.ini files all together.  It should start working fine after that.  And never use @ characters (or other type symbols) in a directory or file name.  Different file systems will handle those differently (for instance the " " would have worked as a real directory under Linux) and the game could stop allowing such things at any point, especially since it could cause various unexpected issues for the game code (currently or in the future).
thx, I understood the cause of this problem.
and Is this problem corrected sooner or later?

By the way, I want to classify the mod folder.
Is there a good idea that doesn't use @ characters (or other type symbols)?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 09:44:14 am by Arkblade »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
EDIT : I've just noticed that the Port 3.03 preload image is a PCX and will be overriden by the image in the media VPs.

Oh, that's why. :) I was getting really puzzled.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

I don't think that's the cause though. At least not on XP. The launcher gives me this as the command line. \fs2_open_r.exe -mod FS1_Port, ,MediaVPs. However I'm getting the HTL versions of all the ships in the game. So it can't be looking in the standard VPs before the mediaVPs or I would not be seeing them. I'd be getting the retail models if that were the case surely? 

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I don't think that's the cause though. At least not on XP. The launcher gives me this as the command line. \fs2_open_r.exe -mod FS1_Port, ,MediaVPs. However I'm getting the HTL versions of all the ships in the game. So it can't be looking in the standard VPs before the mediaVPs or I would not be seeing them. I'd be getting the retail models if that were the case surely? 
What does your debug log say?  Remember that it's filesystem dependant (one of the reasons this launcher bug is such careless coding).  That means that XP could be running NTFS and it would work, but if it was VFAT then it may not.  I'm pretty sure that NTFS would accept " " as a valid directory so in that case it would actually search for a mod directory named " " and just not find anything in it.  If you created that directory and dropped some VPs in there then they would override MediaVP content if anything was named the same.