Author Topic: Systems - 2 questions  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

First question - What exactly is a system?
Since they're named for the star in them, I made the assumption that it referred to the system of planets orbiting that star. But then I realized that these planets have less importance than the subspace nodes, and subspace in general. So what I've begun to think is that a system is more accurately the area in which intrasystem jumps can occur. Comments?
Second Question - If we assume that the above is correct, then what would the border between a system and a non system be like? I see four possibilities. The first is that the border is an immutable line - Here jumps are possible, a micron over there, they are not. I doubt this is the case, but ti is a possibility.

The second is that it is a line, but it's exact position in space is not set, and that it's location changes due to fluctuations in the star (which is the source of gravity which creates subspace in the first place). This seems more plausible than the above, but still unlikely.

The third is that systems end gradually. Over thousands of kilometers the subspace effect begins to decrease as you go farther from the star, and you require more engine power the further along this band you go, until you reach levels of required power too great for standard subspace drives to use (this also suggests that subspace (like gravity) occurs and can be entered everywhere, not just near stars, but it requires massive amounts of power). This seems reasonable to me as it would mean subspace behaves like gravity, and gravity causes it.

The fourth and most likely scenario is a fusion of the above two ideas. Subspace fades out over thousands, or even millions of kilometers, but this band of weakening subspace moves according to fluctuations in the makeup of the star.

Again, comments?

------------------
"What you egg!" Macbeth, Act 4, Scene 2, Line 80

"Young fry of treachery!" Macbeth, Act 4, Scene 2, Line 81

Member of the Tema Al Diablo creation team.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
I think it's basically everything that's graviationally bound to a star, call it within the Kuiper belt.  Out past the Kuiper belt (cloud?) there's a whole lot of nothing... technically, the Oort cloud, but that's of negligable importance in FS.

The limit would basically where you can't use a subspace drive anymore.  Presumably as the GTVA advances their technology this distance will increase.  There's no set distance, it'll depend on the mass of the star in question.  I think most people generally agree that it would be out past Pluto.  I think the Kuiper belt makes a nice border, personally.  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
a system is everything included in the largest orbit of a stellar body orbiting around a star or equivalent. Anything that leaves this boundary (I think Sol boundary is half pluto half Neptune, as at a particular point of the year Pluto is closer to the sun than neptune, if I'm not mistaken), like a comet that goes in and out, is not part of that system.
In freespace, nodes seems to have fixed emplacements, so they belong to systems. Subspace itself is another dimension, and cannot share any geographical property with what I would call a "realspace" body or structure. CQFD.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Originally posted by venom2506:
In freespace, nodes seems to have fixed emplacements, so they belong to systems. Subspace itself is another dimension, and cannot share any geographical property with what I would call a "realspace" body or structure. CQFD.

Subspace does relate to realspace in that you can only do intrasystem jumps within close proximity to a star (and therefore (normally) a node). As for the planetary boundaries, that's hat I thought, and what I consider them (real ones) today, but from a FS POV, subspace is far more important than planets, and if a planet exists closer than the subspace boundary, I think the edge of the system would be the end of the abilility to perform intrasystem jumps, in the way number 4 describes it.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sun's influence extends for something like 3 light years.
 IIRC there are comets out there that are affected by the suns gravity and even some which are orbiting the sun at that kind of range.
 I think Black wolf had a good idea about where to put the boundries
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]