Author Topic: graphics only HALF as good as in screenshots!!  (Read 3045 times)

Offline alco17

graphics only HALF as good as in screenshots!!
Hi. I have been a longtime fan of Freespace, and recently got into the SCP. I worked tirelessly to get the new graphics but never achieved those spectacular lighting effects seen in the posted screenshots.

I got all the other effects, afterburner, more stars, new textures and they look nice but the screenshots with the lighting effects look infinitely better.

I downloaded and put all the .vp files into their own special folder in the freespace folder, including patches, selected all the right stuff in features according to many FAQ's yet still I am stuck with less than appealing graphics...

PLEASE HELP

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: graphics only HALF as good as in screenshots!!
System specifications please

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
You may not have gotten the mod selection right.  What's your command line?  OGL or D3D?  (the latter is probably the most important).  We would love to help but we need a little more info from you.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline alco17

i got a 1.8 celeron, ati 9600XT 256mb, 1gig of ram

its under Open GL

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Shines should definitly work under that setup then.  I suspect it's in your launcher flags or in the way you've got your mod directory set up (you do have mv_textures, right?) but I really still can't tell for sure.  Another thing to try would be to add -ambient_factor 85 to in the custom flags window, as sometimes the high ambient lighting can confuse people as to whether shines are working or not.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Someone should write a wiki article from this page, or write up a guide (in HTML) of what the solutions are...I've gotten this complaint a lot and offered suggestions, but I never hear back from people about whether it worked or not.
-C

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Uh... I don't want to sound negitive or anything, but speaking as the one with no idea what they're doing on the wiki, it should be somone other than me, or else somthing terrible (that everyone will regret, especially me) will happen. Should this topic be split into the Wiki forum?

Offline alco17

hey guys, the ambient lighting did the trick, now the only thing for me to do is upgrade my ****ty computer.

Thanks heaps :yes:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think the default value for ambient factor really needs to be changed to something lower. If you leave it as it as, the lighting hardly looks any different from retail FS2. It's not one of the launcher options either and most new people will be unaware of it unless they ask around here.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The only problem is that the ambient factor really low looks absolutely terrible without glow (maybe shines too, but particularly glow) so just lowering it would be bad for those who want the old-school feel or need it to get the game to run.  Now automatically lowering it to somewhere in the 75-85 range (unless manually overridden of course) when -glow is active would indeed be a good idea.

hey guys, the ambient lighting did the trick, now the only thing for me to do is upgrade my ****ty computer.

Thanks heaps :yes:

Great to hear :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Uh... I don't want to sound negitive or anything, but speaking as the one with no idea what they're doing on the wiki, it should be somone other than me, or else somthing terrible (that everyone will regret, especially me) will happen. Should this topic be split into the Wiki forum?

Writing it here and letting someone else transfer it is better than doing nothing :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline neoterran

you won't get any thruster glows using the 3.6.8 Delta mvps unless you add a table file called species-defs.tbl in the data/tables folder in the mediavps (create it if it's not there). Newbies won't know about this. That table file can be found on these forums somewhere.. I'd attach it but the board won't let me for some reason.

Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Try this species_defs.tbl. It works on post-January CVS builds  and it disables retail modelled thrusterglows and switches on the glowing SCP thrusters
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Now automatically lowering it to somewhere in the 75-85 range (unless manually overridden of course) when -glow is active would indeed be a good idea.

:)