Author Topic: Annorax is a tard; or fix my problems  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Annorax is a tard; or fix my problems
I'm using a Linux CVS build of FSO, compiled Mar 28 2006, with the Shivan_SPS pack 1.0. I've since replaced the media vps from that pack with the 3.6.8 Delta vps. I've found the following problems that I can't figure out. I'd guess they can be blamed on errors in the Shivan pack, but being that I don't have any way to reinstall the main campaign or other game vps, (CDR degradation has left me without a workable 3-CD install set) I'm borked if this installation can't be fixed.

*Asteroids aren't visible and don't collide. This means that I can't shoot them, leading to a spectacular failure in the first SOC loop mission. I have to cheat and make the Iceni invulnerable, because nothing I try seems to fix this one.

*A Game of TAG can't be completed. All objectives are satisfied, I just don't get a return to base directive. WTF?

*DerelictSCP voice files are drowned out by a very loud feedback sound. I've redownloaded the campaign and voice .vps, so this one probably isn't the Shivan_SPS pack.

Any thoughts as to whether or not I've simply gone nuts?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Annorax is a tard; or fix my problems
The Game of TAG problem is fairly well known although no one is certain what is causing it. Are you certain you completed everything? Cause you're probably still getting a Destroy Virgo [ 4 ]  Directive.

Anyway I posted a fixed version here.

As for the rest which build of FSO are you using and have you installed OpenAL?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Yes, after I complete everything, the Destroy Virgo directive goes white again, as though another wave had jumped in... except that it didn't, leaving me with a destroy objective for a nonexistent object.

Openal is installed. I had to install it to compile the CVS build... which I should probably do again for an updated version.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
*Asteroids aren't visible and don't collide. This means that I can't shoot them, leading to a spectacular failure in the first SOC loop mission. I have to cheat and make the Iceni invulnerable, because nothing I try seems to fix this one.
The textures for some of the asteroids aren't power-of-2 so the game won't load them (to prevent crashing).  I think that there are power-of-two versions somewhere, but I'll post a copy of the fixed textures later if you need me to.

*A Game of TAG can't be completed. All objectives are satisfied, I just don't get a return to base directive. WTF?
As already mentioned, it's a mission issue with the updated code.  Basically the wing is out there but it doesn't show up on radar due to a radar nebula range issue that has been introduced in the code.  The wing has the same issue, it can't find a target to attack, so you have to find the wing and give them something to shoot at.  What I usually do is get next to the capship you're supposed to be guarding, point my ship towards the sun, and fly towards it.  Eventually the missing wing will show up on radar and you can take it from there.  They aren't that far out though (6-7km I think) so it shouldn't take too long to find them.

*DerelictSCP voice files are drowned out by a very loud feedback sound. I've redownloaded the campaign and voice .vps, so this one probably isn't the Shivan_SPS pack.
Update to current FS2_Open CVS and see if that helps any.  Does the music sound bad too or is it just the voices?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As already mentioned, it's a mission issue with the updated code.  Basically the wing is out there but it doesn't show up on radar due to a radar nebula range issue that has been introduced in the code. 

Actually I don't think they were ever meant to show up on radar. They show up 5500 metres away from the Warspite and the nebula distance setting for the mission is set to not show anything 5,000 metres away from the player.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
As already mentioned, it's a mission issue with the updated code.  Basically the wing is out there but it doesn't show up on radar due to a radar nebula range issue that has been introduced in the code. 

Actually I don't think they were ever meant to show up on radar. They show up 5500 metres away from the Warspite and the nebula distance setting for the mission is set to not show anything 5,000 metres away from the player.
I believe there was/is a :v: comment somewhere in the code which hints at the problem.  I did actually track it down at one point, but I didn't fix it at the time, and can't remember the details right now.  I want to say that it was the IFF code that broke it.  Basically, the ships shouldn't show, but as they are just outside of radar range Virgo just sits there since it's target is reset.  That's the bug, the target shouldn't get reset and Virgo should instead go hunting for it.

Though, it may not be the IFF code and I'm just mixing up my bugs. :)