Author Topic: Who is using Saitek X52 joystick for freespace? Need some help.  (Read 6987 times)

Offline dborden

Who is using Saitek X52 joystick for freespace? Need some help.
I would like to use the hotas throlle to accelorate and decelorate but cannot figure out how.  It won't let me bind it.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Does anyone have a profile they have already setup for this joystick that they could send me?  [email protected]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Who is using Saitek X52 joystick for freespace? Need some help.
you can't bind the throtte? huh, i can. did you select absolute throttle axis, click bind, and push the throttle forward?

and i do have a profile, but it's like a beta at the moment. the controls are sloppy. :(
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I suspect that he simply hasn't tried to bind the throttle. That one catches most people out. If Cobra's post wasn't enough info for you dborden, check the FS2 Technical help page of my FAQ for a bit more detail.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm considering getting an X52 myself, though its $169.99 Can.  I actually had an option to buy one today, but I stayed strong and decided to stick with my current Logitech until it finally dies.  Dead zone is getting bigger and bigger, especially since I started playing Red Baron II again.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline dborden

i figured it out.  I was tryignt o bind it to the wrong option.  Its just as the post said.  X52 is AN AMAZING HOTAS STICK!  I love it.  162 is a high price though.  Got mine from Best Buy for 84.00 with a friends employee discount.  I would try looking online I think you can find it for 100 or possibly lower.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
yeah, it's a good HOTAS, but still, there's not enough buttons. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline dborden

Is there ever enough buttons?????? LOL

I got the most important stuff bound to my 2 hat controls(targetting controls mostly and weaposn switching).  Thats 8 buttons on the stick.  There is another hat control on the throttle which I use to adjust shield strength.  The 3 up/down buttons on the stick base are used for adjusting energy to shields/engine/guns.

The only thing I had to map using the saitek program was configuring the twist function for banking.  I just used percentages so at 25% twist it will bank my ship. 

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
uh, you do it know it already works in FS2, right? :D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
i figured it out.  I was tryignt o bind it to the wrong option.  Its just as the post said.  X52 is AN AMAZING HOTAS STICK!  I love it.  162 is a high price though.  Got mine from Best Buy for 84.00 with a friends employee discount.  I would try looking online I think you can find it for 100 or possibly lower.
That would be $84 american, right?

Another thing you may want to bind a hat to, would be axial thrust, like side to side or up and down, and perhaps reverse thrust too.

Offline dborden

Axial thrusting? This is a new concept to me.  Probably something I haven't tried yet.  Most of my dogfighting is strictly with banking and flying normally.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
same, although i DO tend to go wild with it in D3. :D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Axial thrusting? This is a new concept to me.  Probably something I haven't tried yet.  Most of my dogfighting is strictly with banking and flying normally.
If you get a chance to fly Shivan fighters, you'll find they have axial thrust abilities.  You just have to make sure you've bound a key or button to those movements.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i recommend the little trigger hat on the throttle. :)

I had to respond to this thread! I have the old Saitek X36 USB Hotas and it still works great. I bought it to play FreeSpace2 back when it first came out. Until this weekend I had always bound the buttons to the controls in FS2 but I decided to try and program the buttons with the included utility. I set up the pov-2 hat to do targeting functions up=target ship in recticle (Y), down=target bomb or bomber (B), etc. My dumb mistake was to set up the hat middle position to just target (T). When I initialized the profile and fired up FS2 things just went haywire. It took me forever to figure out what I did wrong. But on a happy note I did figure it out and fixed it and now everything works great. I even have the pinke switch set to shift so I can set secondary duel fire mode and such. But such a dumb mistake makes me want to kick myself. I know this is a little off the subject so please cut me some slack.