There's also the fact that resizing all the cbanis would be a rather large undertaking and add a large (optional) download for an uncertain benefit.
Clearly the solution is to write something that will automatically do the rescaling on the host system. Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced the site with the file format specifications on it; can you furnish me with a link?
- in ship selection, the ship ANI plays and is scaled for 1024x768, but the entire game slows down massively until I leave that screen
This sounds like an SCP bug. Post in the SCP forum.
Yup. We didn't (and still don't) have access to the weapon models, so we had to use still frames.
I must confess to some confusion on this matter, or perhaps I'm not clearly describing the effects I'm seeing. Here's what happens:
- if -ship_choice_3d is being used:
- for guns: it displays a single frame from the gun's ANI; the ANI sound plays but the image remains static
- for missiles: it displays a side view of the missile's 3d model, without animation; the ANI sound plays
- for both guns and missiles: it displays a single frame from the weapon's ANI; the ANI sound plays
There is a small but detectable slowdown in each case.
So - what's going on here? If -ship_choice_3d is set, it makes sense that no model is displayed for the guns, as they lack models to begin with; but can the missile models not be displayed in the same manner as the ship ones? Conversely, when -ship_choice_3d is not set, why does it display still images rather than the ANI, in contrast with ship selection? And why does the ANI sound still play in the background in all cases?
Or is this an FS2O thing as well?
Hmm. That's because we forgot to specify them in the weapons table. That'll be fixed in the next release.
(Even so, they'll just be the same as the loadout images.)
See my questions about loadout images above...