Author Topic: Legal Question about FS1 music in FS2  (Read 1671 times)

Legal Question about FS1 music in FS2
I'm wondering if it would be legal and not violate anys sort of copy right stuff if I release Freespace 1 music with my Freespace 2 shivan campaign. I've been able to get it working without problems (ohh the memories). If it's not legal or something, I'll just release the table and put into the readme about how to get FS1 music in and such from their copy of FS1.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Legal Question about FS1 music in FS2
Sounds about as legal as including the FS1 music with the port.

P.S. The FS1 music is included with the port :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :lol: I'm reading this in a scaled down window at work, And i was about to tell Warnstaff about the port, and the fact that the FS1 musi is included with the FS1 port. But you told him the FS1 music is contained within the FS1 port before i could tell him............."Mighty breathe in" "Wheeeeze." :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I've heard of some sort of FS port, but that's about it. I guess that answers my question though. Thanks :)

*hides in a corner*

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
But it does violate copyright to distribute the files btw.  The fact that FSPort distributes the FS1 music files doesn't make it any less illegal. :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I never said that it did :) Simply that no one in the community will complain at you for doing so :)

That said IIRC Warnstaff's campaign is basically based on FS2 with some minor table changes so the sensible thing to do would probably be to simply distribute it with a mod.ini and modular table files that allowed you to use the port's music. Not only is that not illegal but it also keeps the filesize down :)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The people on Planet Descent are all scared to mess with the D3 files because their afraid Interplay will care. Interplay just doesn't care.

That said IIRC Warnstaff's campaign is basically based on FS2 with some minor table changes so the sensible thing to do would probably be to simply distribute it with a mod.ini and modular table files that allowed you to use the port's music. Not only is that not illegal but it also keeps the filesize down :)

Actually, my campaign changed. It's now a "what if the Vega node never Collapse" from the Shivan's point of view (main FS2 was too short, theres actully not as many Shivan encounters as it once seemed to me).

Also, what is this mod.ini and how would I use it. I've only been here a month or two, and havn't done much history of SCP stuff.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
A mod.ini is a file that allows you to use the content of other mods in your own without having to install your game in their folder. Say I wanted to use a ship from Inferno and one from the FS1 port in my campaign. I'd make up a mod.ini that allowed access to both folders and then simply plonk it down in the folder belonging to my mod.

Then if my ships.tbl (or tbm) pointed at a pof file in one of the other mods the game would treat it as if it was present in my mod.

Basically it means you add copy and paste this code into a new text file. Call it mod.ini and stick it in your mod's folder. Then (assuming that you have the FS1 Port installed to a folder called fs1port) you can instantly use the music from the port.

Code: [Select]
infotext     = This campaign shows what if the Vega node never collapsed from the Shivan's point of view ;
website      = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40028;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40028;

[multimod]
secondrylist = ,fs1port,mediavps;

Note that mod.ini files only work for FS2_open not FRED2_Open. But you can do the same thing with FRED too. Simply make a shortcut to FRED and add the line -mod fs1port,mediavps to the Target box