Author Topic: Of debates, theories and proper bahaviour  (Read 3400 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Of debates, theories and proper bahaviour
Browsing this forums for years now some lack of proper civil behaviour during debates has caught my attention. I have been in some of those activly, and in some mearly an observer.

The first thing that bothers me that some people think themselves the keepers of the true Freespace knowledge. While there are a lot of us with good knowledge of the lore, the problem is when they treat their personal interpretations or theories as the absolute truth...

I'll start with a example:
-------------------------------------------
NOTE - the following example is from the battleship discussion as it's the only one I could recall at short notice that shows nicely what I'm talking about. This is not an attempt to revive that debate - I've said all that needs to be said on that subject
-------------------------------------------
In that debate someone (can't remember who exactly and I'm too lazy to check, so let's jsut say The Other Guy - or TOG), using canon numbers from the game came to a conclusion.

Looking at the size and HP number of terran ship he concluded that the armor increase is smaller the bigger the ship is - or in other words that the armor is limited by ships size and thus bigger ships can't have as much armor. So he concluded that there can't exist a destroyer-sized ship with the armor-size ratio of the deimos.

Now his conlusion is logical and there are really no errors in it...however...

My interpretation of those numbers was that the ship were specificly designed for different purposes - and as such they have differnt capabilities. Cruisers and corvettes are designed as close combat warships so they have smaller rooms, more bulkheads and thicker armor - which all result in a bigger structural integrity increase than armor alone - it's the whole design.
This conclusion is allso logical and makes sense..

So what's the problem? We have two different theories, both derived from the same numbers and both make sense. The problem is that I never claimed my theory to be the correct one - I claimed it be a possible one, and as such, that the possibility of existance of such ship is there.
TOG on the other hand claimed his theory the only true one, taking it as cannon and basicly acusing me of trying to create "TrashManverse.. or whatever.."..
--------------------------------------------------------

The point? You can't attack another person for simply having a different (but vaible) THEORY.

The other problem is charachter asasination (and I feel a lot of it will come once I post it). It's a cheap trick employed by some forum members when they can't win a debate trough arguments, so they throw dirt at the guy holding hte other oppinion.
The usual  accuasations are of childish behavior, inability to face truth/reality (AKA - MY OPPINION), bigotry, fanatissm with a idea or whatever else they can think of.
The purpose of this is to deavalute the contect of the persons posts while at the same time make their own sound truer. Sometimes this is done subtly (like a frindly warning or joke) and it then builds up..

Either way, such behaviour is not productive and very rude to say it mildely. This threads purpose is to serve as a reminder to those forums members who acted this way allready to pay attention to what they write and as a warning to future debate goers of the things they might encounter.
Stay frosty :D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:22:47 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Of debates, theories and proper bahaviour
acusing me of trying to create "TrashManverse.. or whatever.."..
What your your core world be called?

Trashmanverse,....... Theres a mod in its own right..

Good points above by the way. I concur wholeheartedly.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
You can't dictate the rules of discussion just because you don't like the conclusions drawn.

Offline Nuclear1

You can't dictate the rules of discussion just because you don't like the conclusions drawn.

True.

It also seems odd that TrashMan should be telling us how to behave in a debate when he's actually the one spouting out stuff like "You jsut don't get it do you..." or "Oh, for the love of God."

I've hardly ever noticed a lack of civility except when people who have a history of being uncivil (Cobra, peci, et. al.) join the discussion.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
"Salutes the days of Setekh" :(
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically this is a thinly veiled attempt by Trashman to try claim that his view is valid when he can't back it up. :rolleyes: He talks about character assassination but what is this thread except an attack on Aldo, Stratcomm and I for daring to point out the canon flaws in his theories.

And I'll thank you to remember that I invented the Trashmanvese name when you attempted to claim that the maxim's range was too high and that it was therefore a mistake by :v: and shouldn't be used as canon evidence in discussions.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
maxim's range was too high and that it was therefore a mistake by :v:
TM Said this?,............... For Shame, :V: being non-canon, That sort of thinking will destroy the universe. Still i spose everyones got a right to free type, "Word of Mouse TM@Dekker 01/06/2006" if you will.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Basically this is a thinly veiled attempt by Trashman to try claim that his view is valid when he can't back it up. :rolleyes: He talks about character assassination but what is this thread except an attack on Aldo, Stratcomm and I for daring to point out the canon flaws in his theories.

And I'll thank you to remember that I invented the Trashmanvese name when you attempted to claim that the maxim's range was too high and that it was therefore a mistake by :v: and shouldn't be used as canon evidence in discussions.

I thought it was TrashSpace?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nope. It was definitely Trashmanverse. :D

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I believe the forum guidelines also cover debates quite well. Including posts of bigoted nature and personal attacks are not tolerated, such posts which have happened on or after January 2nd should be reported. Any such posts that were posted before should be forgotten and not to be brought up, otherwise old wounds will not heal.

karajorma, as I am uneducated about the discussion you are referring to, I do not judge either of you, but please do not let this thread delve into bigotry and personal attacks.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Bigotry?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I wish the GTVA had a Pink Bunny defense system............
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
karajorma, as I am uneducated about the discussion you are referring to, I do not judge either of you, but please do not let this thread delve into bigotry and personal attacks.

Where the hell are you getting bigotry or personal attacks from?  :confused:

I've done neither. If anyone is guilty of an attack it is Trashman who by making this thread (deliberately divorced from and not linking to the original thread so as to avoid anyone getting a fair perception of the events which precipitated it) has managed to create a story which paints him as the victim and Aldo, Stratcomm and I as unreasonable.

Instead I linked to the post which coined the Trashmanverse name so that people could make up their own mind about who was being unfair.

I wish the GTVA had a Pink Bunny defense system............

The how Dave Baranac might have created Freespace thing is funnier :) Gotta thank Trashman for making me look up that thread. I'd forgotten about writting that :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 10:23:20 am by karajorma »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I believe i am going to play it swis'ala WWII and remain complicitly neutral..
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Where the hell are you getting bigotry or personal attacks from?  :confused:
Nowhere so far, but from the posts I did get the impression it could get into that, which hopefully won't happen. Then again, I have never seen you posting anything of such nature but I don't read every post either, so... yeah, just don't get that far even if provoked. :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think Aldo, Stratcomm and I have always managed to handle Trashman's attitude in a civil manner despite his claims of persecution. I see no reason to end that now.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Does anyone else remember the days when we used to be friends?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Bah. Old timers often look back to the golden age with rose tinted spectacles. I always hated you. Right from the start :p

Seriously though I doubt we were ever all friends. I don't think there's really any more animosity now than their was when I first joined. In fact most of us are a lot friendlier to most of the regular people than when we first came here since we've gotten to know each other so well.

Even despite the inadvisability of starting this thread I bear Trashman no animous. If he were to post a FRED problem I knew the answer to I'd still go out of my way to solve it for him.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 01:19:37 pm by karajorma »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I believe I am guilty of that sort of behavior, I apologize to everyone involved.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Bah. Old timers often look back to the golden age with rose tinted spectacles. I always hated you. Right from the start :p

Seriously though I doubt we were ever all friends. I don't think there's really any more animosity now than their was when I first joined. In fact most of us are a lot friendlier to most of the regular people than when we first came here since we've gotten to know each other so well.

Even despite the inadvisability of starting this thread I bear Trashman no animous. If he were to post a FRED problem I knew the answer to I'd still go out of my way to solve it for him.

Oh hush, I know how much you loved me...don't make me release the videos ;) :p

And I'm not saying we were all friends, it was a half-sarcastic remark...it was more along the lines of me bemoaning the expansion of HLP.
But admit it, we had some great arguments back then. Remember that time when...I think it was Stryke and someone else had the flame match in old english? :D