Author Topic: 3d settings in FS1  (Read 5115 times)

I can't seem to get the good looking hardware settings in freespace one.  I'm running an nVidia 7600 GT on win xp.  I have the 1.06 patch installed.  Is there a config file I have to edit to get the good settings?

Bones

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Hmm... are you getting that error where you can see through the ships?

Anyway one of the biggest problems with FS1 is that the textures are srunck down, to fix this you need to edit your registry, you can look it up online. You go to regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Volition\Freespace create a DWORD value that's called "D3DUseLargeTextures" and one called "D3DTextureDivider" and give them both a value of 1 I think

No, I'm not getting any errors.  Just when I run the game with hardware turned on in the setup portion of the launcher the graphics look worse than software mode.  It seems like it won't use my video card at all.

Bones
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 05:32:57 pm by bones1014 »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yeah, used the registry hack I gave you and it'll look much better, less blury

It's not working.  It still seems like it's using the software acceleration rather than hardware.

Bones

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Can you post a screenshot of the problem? Also you could try software and see how it looks.

Try Imageshack if you need hosting.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Sorry, but why don't you just download Freespace 2 (and the SCP) and install the FSPort? That'd kill two birds with one stone :D

Offline Cyker

Seconded - Unless you have some reason for playing Freespace 1, I'd highly recommend downloading the SCP and FSPort.

It just looks sooo pwettyyyy....

Unlike some up ports (The second butchered TIE Fighter Collectors Edition for instance), they are virtually identical, any differences being down to minor bugs, so it should all be good ;)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
the difference in playing FS1 and FSPort is like... umm...

there isnt any other game with a simmilar experience... maybe Escape Velocity: Nova?

anyways, FS1 has worse textures than FSPort and isnt as purty, but as someone said in the FS2 campaing, "No shields, no flak guns, no beam cannons."

:D

FS2 and FS1 are basically on the same engine, FS2's engine was a bit upgraded as opposed to fs1's, but for some reason... i found FS1 much more fullfilling when played. it was... much more immersive. dont know how to say it exactly, but no game pulled me in like FS1. FSPort just... doesnt do it justice, sorry to guys who did their best to SCP-ify it, but it isnt FS1 if it isnt played in 640x480 with its stock textures on a 15" monitor on a Pentium MMX with a 8meg Voodoo2 and a SoundBlaster copy card :D :lol:

silly, i know, but i first played it on such a rig and then later FSPort on this rig... it just isnt... it.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline neoterran

there are shields in FS1.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
did you ever play fs2's main campaign? the dialogue in one mission about hunting shivans and something and then some pilot says that he'd like to be in that era "No shields, no flak guns, no beam cannons."

and FFS, i've played through both FS1 and FS2 more than 40 times each. you think i wouldnt know that there were shields in fs1?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline neoterran

I have no idea, i don't know who you are... now I know
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
No, I'm not getting any errors.  Just when I run the game with hardware turned on in the setup portion of the launcher the graphics look worse than software mode.  It seems like it won't use my video card at all.

Bones

Actually, it is probably using D3D correctly; it's just that D3D looks much worse than software in FS1. As far as I can tell, the large textures only work in software mode (even if that registry flag is enabled) and you also get free glowmaps on everything. Modern processors can handle the software mode easily.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Or get a VooDoo gard from somewhere and it'll look sweet. :D
Coz glide is what works best in FS1. That includes the "glows". :yes: VooDoo was teh mosntar during those times you know...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
FS1 and my Voodoo 3 (many years ago worked sweet together)

BTW

:welcome:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
did you ever play fs2's main campaign? the dialogue in one mission about hunting shivans and something and then some pilot says that he'd like to be in that era "No shields, no flak guns, no beam cannons."

and FFS, i've played through both FS1 and FS2 more than 40 times each. you think i wouldnt know that there were shields in fs1?

Is there any point whatsoever to this reply?  If the guy hasn't played FS1 and you say "no shields, ..." etc, he's not going to go 'oh, they'll be shields after a bit', is he?  neoterran is perfectly right to point out there are shields in FS1, because that's not made clear in your comment, and that is misleading.

I've played most of FS1 but I never finished it which is why I'm trying to play it.  The FS1 port just has better graphics?

Bones

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :D No comment, I believe there is a bonus end mission after the (SPOILER) happens...........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I've played most of FS1 but I never finished it which is why I'm trying to play it.  The FS1 port just has better graphics?

Bones

I'll have to be honest and say I've never actually played the port.  But, in my understanding, yes; basically you have better backgrounds (planets, nebulae), proper beams for the Lucifers' flux cannon, and the higher resolution of FS2.  Also, with the SCP you can use a number of better looking (more detailed) models alongside the rest of the eye candy.

you can, of course, peruse the Fs Port board, which is now cunningly renamed Freespace Conversion.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Well the port is basicly just FS1 missions converted in to FS2. Also briefing anis, and chatter, music and stuff like that work more or less directly in FS2.
But it still isn't the *same* as playing FS1. Personnally I experienced the port as a lame experience. Not to piss on the port crew because the missions are well ported and the story is there. But while playing I couldn't but feel "this isn't FS1, this isn't FS1, this isn't FS1" constantly. Maybe I'm just a nostalgic old geezer, but the port just isn't the same as Conflict: Freespace The Great War.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...