Author Topic: Stuck with OpenAL  (Read 3363 times)

Hi guys,

I've been trying to run TBP 3.3a in OpenGL mode, but to no avail.  With my first install, all worked fine in direct3d, but was presented with the "OpenGL2.0 needs installing" message for OpenGL.  So I took advice on these boards and grabbed RC2, copied into TBP base directory (and properly modified the ships-adv.tbl file).  It didn't work.

I've since reinstalled it all, run the debugger (I know  :P shoulda done that in the first place), and discovered that it's failing to init. OpenAL.  Now, I thought I had this installed.  I ran the executable which told me that some files were already in use and that "a reboot is required to complete installation".  So I restarted machine thinking everything was ok and spied the OpenAL folder in my programs directory.  On further investigation, the only file in there is what appears to be the same executable I used to 'install' OpenAL in the first place.  So I assume that OpenAL hasn't actually been installed properly?  How do I install it?

I don't know why this is now preventing me from running it at all, since I  used to be able to run with d3d, but it appears to be the main obstacle at the moment.

Here's the error log:

==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
Passed cmdline options:
  -ambient_factor 60
  -env 
  -jpgtga 
  -glow 
  -snd_preload 
Building file index...
Searching root 'C:\program files\the babylon project\'
Searching root pack 'C:\program files\the babylon project\B5-A-Patch-3.3a.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\program files\the babylon project\B5-Core-3_3.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\program files\the babylon project\Root_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\program files\the babylon project\sparky_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\program files\the babylon project\sparky_hi_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\program files\the babylon project\stu_fs2.vp'
Searching root 'f:\'
Found 8 roots and 6649 files.
AutoLang: Language auto-detection successful...
Setting language to English
Initializing OpenAL...
  Using 'Generic Software' as OpenAL sound device...
ERROR: Couldn't open OpenAL device!
Initializing OpenAL...

I assume that the rest is fairly run-of-the-mill.

Thx guys, great work on TBP!  :)

Update: it appears to enter the menu with 3.6.7, but when I select 'tech data' it tells me there's no campaign etc.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 12:46:28 pm by Diomedes »

coders can give better ideas but my guess in the dark is do you have direct sound chosen for audio?    Using 'Generic Software' as OpenAL sound device?  Doesn't sound right.

A brief discription of your hardware would help.  :pimp:

I've tried launching with directsound, a3d, eax and sound disabled - none of which work. 

Hardware specs:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Geforce 6600 GT
Sound Blaster Live!
1GB DDR RAM
Gigabyte Nforce2 Motherboard

Having dug around a bit, I've discovered that there is in fact an OpenAL32.dll in my system32 folder...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
If there is a nvopenal.dll (or ct_oal.dll) in your system32 folder then try (re)moving it and try the game again.

I got rid of nvopenal.dll, but now it tells me: "DirectSound could not be initialised.  If you are running any programs playing sound in the background, you should disable them before continuing", at the launcher.  I can select 'Ok' and it takes me to the game menu with no sound.

If I select one of the other builds (namely 2006-01-09-p4), I no longer get the error:

Found 8 roots and 6650 files.
AutoLang: Language auto-detection successful...
Setting language to English
soundcard = DirectSound
Initializing OpenAL...

But it crashes all the same, and Windows identifies a problem with openal32.

If I use the debug build for fs2_open_r.exe, I get the following:

Initializing OpenAL...
Initializing OpenAL...
Initializing OpenAL...

The same message repeated another 5 times over before giving up and initializing everything else.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 07:39:18 am by Diomedes »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Make sure to install (or reinstall) the current version of OpenAL from http://www.openal.org.  It just looks like something's wrong with you current install.

Is there a proper procedure for reinstalling OpenAL?  Only whenever I run the installer it says that I need to reboot in order to complete the installation, but when I reboot, nothing appears to be done.  What is the installer actually supposed to do?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Put some dlls in some folders? How should we know?  It someone here does then that's great but to be honest I think it's a question you're better off asking over at the OpenAL site. Taylor and the others support FSOpen, not OpenAL.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

I only ask here because there doesn't seem to be any sort of community on the openal.org site.  Oh well, back to google I guess.  :blah:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What does Open AL do exactly, i kinda just downloaded it and installed it play freespace 2. I never once consdered what it was i put on my home pc.

Is it an audio code or a video plugin, Or another somesuch yweak for the launcher.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

From what I can gather, it appears to be some sort of 3d sound environment mapper for use with games and such stuff.

Dekker, what actually happened when you ran the installer?  I'm curious, because very little seems to happen at this end.  :confused:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I cant honestly remember, i installed it months ago....

:welcome:
by the way :D

See if its in your add/remove list. Or just try installing another version, If a conflict message comes up, then you know its installed.  Restart your pc possibly?

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
About all the installer does is copy a few files.  There really isn't much to it.  With OpenAL reinstalled, use the RC3 FS2_Open build and the 5.4 Launcher.  If it doesn't work with "Generic Software" then change the OpenAL device to something else in the Audio tab of the Launcher and see if that helps at all.

Thx for the welcome :)

I'm downloading an Nvidia version of OpenAL drivers, so hopefully those will be more productive.  I do actually have the 5.4 launcher, but last I checked it was crashing on startup (perhaps that can be fixed by editing something in the launcher.ini?).  Nevertheless, I'll grab RC3 now and see if it works.

Thx folks.

Success!

I did a little reading and discovered which files were included in the creative OAL installer, removed all of them and completely uninstalled TBP.  I then rebooted, reinstalled TBP with the new RC3 and ran the launcher.  It told me that OAL was absent (as expected) so I closed it and ran the creative OAL installer.  Only this time, the installer actually completed properly with an 'installation complete' message on completion.  Now it actually registers OAL in the sound tab of the launcher, from which I can select generic software, hardware etc.  I can enter the menu with OpenGL graphics and I'm anxious to get stuck into a campaign or two.  :) 

My advice to anyone having problems with OpenAL is this...

Head over to this part of the official openal site http://www.openal.org/windows_enumeration.html and look under 'basic structure' to see which openal files you may have in your system folder.  Get rid of them all and run the installer again after rebooting.

Thx for the help, ppl.