Author Topic: Capella story question  (Read 15744 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Capella story question
Command deployed the GTD Nereid to collapse the Vega-Capella node at the end of the campaign. By the time it enters the node, the final mission was over at least two minutes ago. However, in the ending Petrarch says that they sealed off the system anyway. So what I'm wondering is, why? What was the point of continuing with that plan when the supernova explosion had quite obviously vaporized everything near the node and would span the entire system within minutes?

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Capella story question
I always thought the supernova somehow damaged the node itself.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Petrarch says "we sealed off the system," which would indicate that the Nereid did in fact blow up the node.

If they didn't seal it, what's to stop another hundred juggernauts driving through the GD node and into GTVA space?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The leftover gases would probably be super hot for thousands of years and no ship could go through there anyway.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
But why would they take the chance? Not to mention the negative PR the GTVA would get for deciding to leave a node open, thus giving the Shivan forces a chance - however ludicrously slim - of continuing the invasion. By collapsing the node, the GTVA has crushed any forseeable possibility of a Shivan return from Capella, and given the sad state the Fleet is in, and undoubtedly the morale of the greater GTVA, it would be utterly moronic not to deploy the Neried [no dumb-Command jokes to counter, please].

The leftover gases would probably be super hot for thousands of years and no ship could go through there anyway.

Except spreading a solar mass across a system (or several light years) gives very low density, so the gas can be as hot as it wants and it's not going to mean ****.  Some of the nebulae in FS2 were quite energetic (lightning bolts and all) and ships weren't melting left and right.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The final cutscene shows us that the Deimos and Moloch have the ability to survive the initial blast wave from a super-nova

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Except spreading a solar mass across a system (or several light years) gives very low density, so the gas can be as hot as it wants and it's not going to mean ****.  Some of the nebulae in FS2 were quite energetic (lightning bolts and all) and ships weren't melting left and right.

That makes some sense and may explain this issue. So would the system be open to travel immediately after the initial shockwave? Also, what will the gas density be like near the node (which is very close to Capella given the star's size in the missions)? I don't know a lot about supernovas and how their matter gets distributed, but I doubt it would be uniform throughout the entire system.

The ingame nebulas are actually exceptionally dense, although that was probably just done to make the gameplay more fun.

I guess what you said earlier actually brings up another question, why Command waited until sm3-08 to decide that they couldn't hold Capella and that sealing it off was the only option. If they had decided to do this when they detected multiple Sathanas warships at the end of sm3-04, could they have been able to seal off Gamma Draconis instead, before any of the juggernauts came through?

But why would they take the chance? Not to mention the negative PR the GTVA would get for deciding to leave a node open, thus giving the Shivan forces a chance - however ludicrously slim - of continuing the invasion. By collapsing the node, the GTVA has crushed any forseeable possibility of a Shivan return from Capella, and given the sad state the Fleet is in, and undoubtedly the morale of the greater GTVA, it would be utterly moronic not to deploy the Neried [no dumb-Command jokes to counter, please].

Well, I doubt they would care about the effects on PR when making these decisions. It wouldn't make much sense to expend all those meson bombs (which probably cost a ton of money) if they aren't actually needed.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Well, I doubt they would care about the effects on PR when making these decisions. It wouldn't make much sense to expend all those meson bombs (which probably cost a ton of money) if they aren't actually needed.
Is money worth chancing extermination on an assumption that the Shivans can't and won't be able to navigate the fresh, nebular environment? What value would be had for keeping it open, anyway?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

The Shivans just blew up a star. If ever there was a point at which people are going to be paranoid about Shivan capablities, that point is now.

Also, the Neried was packed full of Meson Bombs, primed, and ready to go. There is no savings in holding it back; there are additional costs (unless you want to just leave it lying around) in safing and disassembly. Deployment cost nothing that had not already been spent.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Is money worth chancing extermination on an assumption that the Shivans can't and won't be able to navigate the fresh, nebular environment? What value would be had for keeping it open, anyway?

Well, these are all assumptions in that sense. You could also argue that sealing off the systems won't contain the Shivans since they made intersystem jumps without using nodes in FS1. Actually, Petrarch even says "we must accept this strategy as nothing more than a temporary measure."

I think there may be something to what Pnakotus said about the nebula density though; it could be that after the shockwave it was possible to move ships through the nebula without any problems.

The Shivans just blew up a star. If ever there was a point at which people are going to be paranoid about Shivan capablities, that point is now.

Also, the Neried was packed full of Meson Bombs, primed, and ready to go. There is no savings in holding it back; there are additional costs (unless you want to just leave it lying around) in safing and disassembly. Deployment cost nothing that had not already been spent.

That shouldn't really matter. As I said earlier, I doubt the security council or whoever will close the node just because they're scared, if there is no  (utilitarian) reason to do it otherwise.

As for prepping the Nereid being a sunk cost, that makes a lot more sense. I guess it depends on what other uses there are for the bombs and just how expensive they are to manufacture.

Anyway, I think you guys have suggested a few solid reasons why they might have done this, which is good because I needed that information for a mission I'm doing. :D

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
They blew up. A f***ing. Sun. Fear is a powerful motivator, and hence i'm thinking Command wouldn't have even waited for the surviving civilian ships to exit the node before they bloody collapsed it! There is no doubt in my mind the Security Council and Command ordered the Neried deployed...

...Of course, given the potential scientific benefits of having access to a freshly-formed Nebula, as well as the economic prospects a nigh-on infinite supply Nebular gasses would hold, it wouldn't surprise me if a group, possibly the GTVI or some such, faked the deployment and then kept the site, and the still-open node, under lockdown to any non-GTVI personnel. Mmmm, I love the smell of conspiracy in the morning. :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
For all command  - or we - know, the Shivans planned to maraud through all of GTVA space, destroying every populated system, one by one......there's no reason for the GTVA to assume they'd stop at Capella.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Good point. GTVA didn't really know what the hell shivans are capable of. As statet earlier, they blew up a ****ing star! How could they know what would start coming trought the node next? Even without the juggernauts, I doubt GTVA fleet would have been able to stop the shivans after Capella. You just can't take that kind of chances when there are two civilizations at stake. No matter how much pink swirling smoke you could get by leaving the node open.

No one in GTVA really knew what the hell was going on when Capella blew up. But they knew that blowing up the node was their only effective way of stopping the shivans.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What you guys have to bear in mind, is that a node is just an entry to subspace, there were two remember, on e in Capella itself and the one in Vega. Respectively the Vega-Cappella node and the Capella-Vega node.

I assume they blew the one in vega after the Refugees exited subspace.....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't think anyone was assuming that they blew the one in Capella.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I know,.... Iknow. :(
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Judging from the CB anims, I'd say it's fair to assume that collapsing a node obliterates the whole subspace tunnel between the two stars.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I dunno, Mebbe, mebbe not <suggestive>
Some have more than one exit dont they, like a normal lagrange point...... :confused:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.