Author Topic: X2 and X3 on Steam  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
These two little gems have been put up on Steam pretty cheaply, and what's more - NO ****ING STARFORCE.
Awesome.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Hmh, this might actually be a good reason to boot into Windows... Is it worth getting both or would X3 be enough?

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I've heard X3 is supposed to be good.  But I might be thinking of other games...  Here are some reviews.

One from Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/x3reunion/index.html?q=X3

And one from IGN:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/736/736739.html#reviews
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:05:24 pm by Tyrian »
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
My brother has X3, and I stole it before to try and play it, but the CD was corrupt :(

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
So, no starfoce, but steam instead ? Hm, not really a positive change IMO :(   (changed one evil with the other).

X2 is a great game, if there weren't those incredibly stupid looking pirate ships (and what do you do for countless hours, you are hunting pirates, this really made this game a little boring for me) I will never understand how this could happen, countless great looking alien ships, and then these few mistakes :(

Never bought X3 though. According from the screenshots it looks like it needs a Pentium 6 with 5 Ghz if you want to play in higher resolution (and I don't buy games to play them in 640 or 800 resolution). However, the alienship design are great again, a big cudos for the egosoft designers for their fantasy
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tyrian

Steam is evil?  How?

Excuse my ignorance of Steam, I don't own HL1 or HL2.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Don't take my phrase so direct :)

I'm just not a friend of steam. Somehow I find it stupid having a game that force me to connect into the internet when I want to play singleplayer (just a waste of system ressources), and it presses you unasked updates into your system and games, including false updates
like one year back. (Also funny that they claimed how billions of manhours have been spend on steam and what a huge success it is. Fact is, most people give a **** on it, they just wanted to play halflife :) )

And certainly for the X-Games, you will need all ressources you have :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
meh, don't have a credit card, so i'll haveta purchase it elsewhere.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ZmaN

X3 is good but Even with pretty decent specs (pentium 4 2.8ghz, 768 MB of RAM,  Radeon X850 Pro, Audigy 2 ZS) It still doesnt run very well, which is why I played the game 8 times and then put it away and havent played it since.

Maybe when I upgrade my video card...
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
X3 is really good, but as aforementioned, it eats specs like winos like special brew.
I got a P4 running pretty high 3GHZ at least ( i forget how fast) and gubbins less than 4 months old, and X3 is stuttery as an old dear whos just been pushed off a bus.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
ZmaN, your problem is either RAM or lack of patches. :p
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Tyrian

I got 3.2GHz P4, 2 GB of OCZ RAM, and a Radeon 9800XT.  I can run the demo with no stuttering.  Think I can run the full game smoothly?

Sig rising...

Great, so instead of a crappy driver which can potentially wreck your CD drive, you can now use a memory-bloated piece of garbage which will no doubt force you to connect to the internet and auto-patch every time you load it up. It's a good thing the X games are equally crap. :)

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Great, so instead of a crappy driver which can potentially wreck your CD drive, you can now use a memory-bloated piece of garbage which will no doubt force you to connect to the internet and auto-patch every time you load it up. It's a good thing the X games are equally crap. :)
I dunno about that. It hardly uses ANY processing power at all for me, and certainly doesn't auto-patch everytime I load it up. I have found the whole thing to be pretty convenient and useful.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
X3 looks like a render movie. Imho it's the best looking game atm and might even be at the end of this year.

It has pretty nice music. Some track are awesome. The sounds are... ok and if you like trading, you'll love it.
The fight part is a bit sluggish though. X3 has some weird half-newtonian physics. They do make it feel more realistc sometimes, but are also annyoing pretty often.

The story isn't bad, but it's told ... somehow boring. The dialogs aren't very good. So are the render movies. They should have sticked to the great in-game graphics. ;)

I like the fact that you can do pretty much everything you can think of. You can buy stations, hire freighters, buy large capital ships and join battles in your fighter and even exit your fighter and fly around in a space suit. (It's just cool to fly around your gigantic carrier in your space suit. ;) )

There are more events than in Freelancer. If you don't follow the story in Freelancer, you can't really do much. Nothing happens and picking up one of the three different missions isn't fun after running through a few of them. X3 has some way cooler missions and even some war events. (The Xenos attack a sector.)

It's not like Freespace!
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Hey, how does X3 compare to I-War2? I understand it has more trading features but if anyone has played both, how would you compare them?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I-War has a way better battle feeling.

While you can control your ship worse that in X3, it's also more fun. I-War has better weapons. It's soooo boring to lauch a missile in X3. Somehow I hated the missiles in X3. They kill you instantly and yet lack any sense of power when you launch them.

The equiptement part in X3 is pretty good though. You can upgrade everything. There are special weapons and balistic weapons. You can work out a gun setup tactically and load attack drones.

If your ship gets damaged it's often really expensive to repair it. And it gets damaged pretty easy... that kinda killed my interest in fighting equal enemies.

I-War is a completely different game. X3 lives from the ambience. Flying through a beautiful system, whith planets and stations that look like in a render movie, while listenng to some really nice ambient music. That's one thing I really like in X3. Getting the money to buy a new ship and upgrades, while I'm thinking about the best trading route for my first automated freighter was pretty motivating.

Sound buy X3 for a well-told story, or space combat (at least on in a fighter).
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Tyrian

I played I-War 2 and loved it.  My only gripe about it was the Stealth unit you can install kills engine and weapon sounds.  But it's not worth installing it anyways, so no real loss.

I'm on the fence about whether to buy X3.  I played the demo, and found the interface a little tricky.  Does using it get easier with practice?

Sig rising...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I must confess, I'm jaded. X:BTF was one of the most boring games I ever played - so much so that I never even bothered to check out X2 or X3. Can anyone tell me for sure that they are lightyears better than X:BTF?

Also, you'll have to do some pretty hard convincing, since X:BTF got 8.1, X2 got 7.4, and X3 got a 7.2... :doubt:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Apparently the X Series caters to more hardcore gamer types, which is probably why more mainstream publications ranked it so low and the higher rated ones gave it a fairer review.  I don't have the system to play it, since I only have a 64MB video card and it requires a 128MB one.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/x3reunion?q=x3
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord