Author Topic: newbie needs help: no text visible in fs2  (Read 904 times)

newbie needs help: no text visible in fs2
 Hi there!

I'm a Wing Commander freak who just decided to download the 1.5c complete package and I'm currently updating to 1.8. Never played freespace 2 before, but heard lots of good things about it.

I started the game for a quick look and everything is good, except that I can't see any text. To be more precise, the text in the menu is invisible, but when I switch to the main area and I put the cursor on the selectable doors, I can see black text at the bottom of the screen explaining each sections.

Usually, this problem occurs when the correct font is missing. I'm trying to get the good one. I'll try to get it from the demo version if I can't get any answer.

Idea?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 09:47:26 pm by romcollector »

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Re: newbie needs help: no text visible in fs2
Begin plasma core insertion, gunnery control, open fire:

Welcome to HLP. Please keep all appendages within the installation at all times. Flamethrowers are located underneath all seats, however, due to the rising cost of oil, the ID / evolution debate (don't debate me on Whether or not there is a debate),V, and the meaning of life, the napalm has been replaced with Holy Water. Plasma rifles are located in the weapons locker, but only Admins,V, or a hyper-intelligent shade of blue have access to these areas. If you meet a Shivan in the ductwork it is most likely Carl, give him your lunch and back away slowly, odds are good you'll be fine. Recommend reading includes Karajorma's Freespace FAQ for general questions, and The Freespace Wiki for specific issues and questions.

14th kill. :)

Try to be more detailed, what did exactly did you do?

Well let's see... I installed the 1.5c pack, executed the launcher and started the game. I noticed that the game crashed in D3D, so I switched to Open GL and it went well. Game runs smoothly but no text showing up.

Just seems to be a regular font problem, maybe missing from the package?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Huh... it isn't a font problem... what kind of box are you running

I'm currently testing the package (now updated to 1.8 ) on a sempron 2500+ processor with a 64 mb video card. Funny thing is, I just installed the demo and the text is there and everything is fine (I can see all the menus and the things I type), and when I switched to the full version, it's still not there.
So yes, it's not a problem with the font since both the demo and the unmodded version of the game should use the same file. Sure wish it could be fixed by transfering one file from the demo version to the complete version..