Author Topic: Vasuda Prime  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
What ever happened to it since FS1?  I know the Lucifer rendered it 'lifeless', but I assume that the GTVA has SOME terraforming tech since they have civilians inhabiting hostile star systems.

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

"Oh and Kazan - you have some nice rocks" - Thunder

"stapled myself to an office chair, forgot about it, and was stuck for 2 hours for one thing" - Stryke 9

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
well, Vasuda is completly radioactive now, you would need much more than just terraforming to make it able to receive life again I suppose. And as it's just a sandy world, i don't think the hassle is worth the result. I would bet vasudans are happy to leave the damn piece of rock for something more agreable  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Vasuda Prime is about the same state as the planet in Deneb we see in the FS2 intro. (bombarded by the Lucifer)

Since most of Vasuda Prime was uninhabitable by Vasudan standards, the devastation by the Lucifer was probably minor.

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think Aldebaran became the primary Vasudan system and home to the Imperium government in the post-FS1 years. Vasudans probably were not very emotionally attached to their homeworld as Terrans are to Earth since it was already quite harsh, and some might have viewed it as a good thing to move to a more habitable world.

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Wasn't there like about 10% of Vasudan Landmass still habitable?
And the Vasuandan Systaem is of strategical importance, just look at all the nodes. It's probably one of the more important systems withing GTVA space and I guess there's still some imperial presence on the planet.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Crazy_Ivan80:
Wasn't there like about 10% of Vasudan Landmass still habitable?
And the Vasuandan Systaem is of strategical importance, just look at all the nodes. It's probably one of the more important systems withing GTVA space and I guess there's still some imperial presence on the planet.

they've probably built arcadias all around, but I doubt there's anyhing left alive on Vasuda. Would be completly useless.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Yeah, I forgot that it was mentioned some landmass was still habitable. (and guessing that prior to bombardment most still wasn't, the Lucifer didn't do that much of a number to the planet)

I'd guess that Vasuda Prime would have a marginal population on the planet, and perhaps the Imperial Palace on it as a "fancity" for ceremonies and such.

Namely production in the Empire would be arround Vasuda orbit due to the nodes.

------------------
Ace
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

I recently played the FS1 campaign over again and Admiral Shima said in a command breifing that the death toll on the planet was over 10 billion.

That is more people that lived in the entire Capella system!  I think that that planet had to be quite habitable to sustain so many Vasudans.
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by GrandAdmiralAbaht:
I recently played the FS1 campaign over again and Admiral Shima said in a command breifing that the death toll on the planet was over 10 billion.

That is more people that lived in the entire Capella system!  I think that that planet had to be quite habitable to sustain so many Vasudans.

I don't remember if it was 5 billion or 7 billion or 10 billion Vasudans that died on Vasuda Prime when the Lucifer arrived and blasted  the planet. Regardless, it was several billion, I remember that much at least. CP, could you check Admiral Shima's Command Briefing to see what the actual count of Vasudan deaths was?

As for Capella, Admiral Petrarch mentioned in one of his Command Briefings that the total population of the Capella system was 250 million Terrans, considerably less than the 10 billion Vasudans who died at Vasuda Prime 32 years prior. Ahbat is correct when he says that Vasuda Prime had a bigger population than the entire Capella system.

Abaht is correct about Vasuda Prime being so habitable to support 10 billion Vasudans in spite of the fact that it is mostly desert. (Slightly off-topic: does anyone here know what the popualtion of Dune/Arrakis is, by any chance? I'm just curious.) We did see cities on Vasuda Prime in the FS1 cutscene of the Lucifer blasting VP. VP might have been a harsh desert planet but it was still habitable enough for the Vasudans to thrive there; if 10 billion isn't a thriving population, I don't know what is.

Even so, after VP got blasted, most everything of value would be gone. After all, the Lucifer blasted the planet for 13 hours straight, with most or all of the cities as primary targets. The surface of VP is probably mostly glass as a result of the bombardment (sand turns to glass under extreme heat, FYI). If most of the planet's surface s now glass, then it's easy to see why VP would be uninhabitable. If 10% of the surface is still habitable, then I guess, *maybe* the Vasudans could try to repopulate it, but if I were Khonsu II, it wouldn't be a high priority for me. With all of the cities blasted into ash and glass, the only remaining habitable surface would be empty desert. Reinvesting resources to making VP populated again might not be worth it, especially after the strain of the Second Great War.

I think Ace is correct about having installations in the system as well; those four jump nodes DO make VP a strategicly valuable system, so installations would be needed to control them.

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Nico

• Venom
I hink there was 3 jump nodes, no?
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The casualties were rated at four billion. I'm not sure how long the VPE had been evacuating people off the planet, but they could not have transported more than a few hundred thousand and chances are that the planet's original population (before the Lucifer came) was not much larger. This is kind of interesting, since Earth would have at least 20 billion people by that time (and this is a conservative estimate), so either many of the Vasudans has already migrated to other, more habitable worlds or the Vasudan population is much smaller than the Terran one. (this could be attributed to a longer lifespan)

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by CP5670:
since Earth would have at least 20 billion people by that time

No, it has been stated many times that earth could hardly handle more than 10 billions people.
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
oh okay; thanks for the correction.   I think Terrans would be forced to expand and colonize other worlds quite a bit in that case; the 10 billion limit will be reached pretty soon. They had occupied 12 planets/moons by the beginning of FS1 and the number has probably only been increasing with time.

Several other objects in Sol are also habitable (Mars, Titan, etc.), so the total population of Sol is probably pretty high by the end of FS2. I guess there are a lot Terrans in the galazy than Vasudans...

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 01-08-2002).]

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by CP5670:
oh okay; thanks for the correction.   I think Terrans would be forced to expand and colonize other worlds quite a bit in that case; the 10 billion limit will be reached pretty soon. They had occupied 12 planets/moons by the beginning of FS1 and the number has probably only been increasing with time.

Several other objects in Sol are also habitable (Mars, Titan, etc.), so the total population of Sol is probably pretty high by the end of FS2. I guess there are a lot Terrans in the galazy than Vasudans...

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 01-08-2002).]

dunno, if the vasudan could adapt to such an hostile environment as Vasuda Prime, you may find them about anywhere...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Well I did only say Vasuda Prime was barely habitable by their own standards, but having slightly over 4 billion on the planet in the pre-Vasudan diaspora period sounds reasonable.

Vasuda would be mainly glassified from the Lucifer's bombardment, but some land mass would be usable. Full repopulation? Unlikely.

------------------
Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 01-08-2002).]
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I always find it funny that the Vasudans' home planet is so uninhabitable to them. Humans have basically built things to allow them to build anywhere on Earth; the same can't be said of the Vasudans. It brings the question as to whether Vasudans evolved on Vasuda Prime or not, for if they were I would have thought they would be more adapted to Vasudan conditions. Make sense?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Setekh:
I always find it funny that the Vasudans' home planet is so uninhabitable to them. Humans have basically built things to allow them to build anywhere on Earth; the same can't be said of the Vasudans. It brings the question as to whether Vasudans evolved on Vasuda Prime or not, for if they were I would have thought they would be more adapted to Vasudan conditions. Make sense?

[p1mp]Find that out in Over The Top   [/p1mp]

hey, why couldn't I p1mp after all?  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
And to further add to Setekh's post, I find it funny that they didn't try to re-settle somewhere else in the Vasuda system after the Lucifer had been destroyed.  I seriously doubt that Vasuda Prime was the only planet in that star system.

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

"Oh and Kazan - you have some nice rocks" - Thunder

"stapled myself to an office chair, forgot about it, and was stuck for 2 hours for one thing" - Stryke 9

Thunder when he's all grown up
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by MD-2389:
And to further add to Setekh's post, I find it funny that they didn't try to re-settle somewhere else in the Vasuda system after the Lucifer had been destroyed.  I seriously doubt that Vasuda Prime was the only planet in that star system.

if there was other planets in Vasuda able to recieve settlers, they were probably colonized too by the time the luci came to Vasuda, and then they were most likely fried too.
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
it depends I suppose. If Jump node tech was available to Earth they might not have colonised mars.
 Mars can be terraformed reasonably easily but it probably wasn`t deemed worthy if you could almost as easily transport people to another system with a planet that is already habitable.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]