Author Topic: EarthSide  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Scorpius

• Artíste
In the year 2371,humanity is locked in a stalemate with the Shivans. With no reinforcements from other Terran Vasudan systems, the Sol Liberation Force fights bravely for their families, their lives their home. With the SLD Retribution, you will be on the front of an assault that could either save humanity or Destroy it.

A Freespace 2 Campaign
20 missions

So is anyone interested? I have a demo (3 missions) and I can submit it but I just want to see if it is worth the trouble to release a full campaign.

I would appreciate any feedback/questions you have!  
Illustrator, inker, editor, letter of FREESPACE MARINES. A comic book based in the Freespace Universe
coming in late march.
My Galleries:
 www.3dap.com/hlp/art/scorpius
 http://www.3dactionplanet.com/redfaction/dp/d/art.shtml

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
i dont think a stalemate would ever occure with the Shivans, they seem to have unlimited resources, the Terrans would always lose.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Scorpius

• Artíste
There is a reason there is a stalemate but you have to play the campaign to find out why. but Im debating whether or not to work on the full thing. So if you want to find out further details, you're just going to have to support it! Buwahahahahahaha!

See how I have it all set up? Its the perfect advertising campaign!  
Illustrator, inker, editor, letter of FREESPACE MARINES. A comic book based in the Freespace Universe
coming in late march.
My Galleries:

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Arrrrgh!! You win!
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Sol Liberation Force? I thought Earth was cut off from the rest of space. How is the SLF fighting for Earth aganst the Shivans when the Shivans can't even reach Earth?
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/

Originally posted by Su-tehp:
Sol Liberation Force? I thought Earth was cut off from the rest of space. How is the SLF fighting for Earth aganst the Shivans when the Shivans can't even reach Earth?

The Sathanas made the intrasystem jump without the aid of the Knossos, they can travel through unstable jump node, some guy in a command breifing said it may be possible, i dont remember when thou.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Originally posted by Su-tehp:

Who said the Shivans can't reach earth? The GGTVA can't reach Sol. As usual, we don't know anything about what the Shivans can or can't do. We assume they can't get to Sol because we can't. But hell, they've shown they can do lots of things the GTVA can't, so its entirely possible.

------------------
--Mik http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

"Your guy was a little SQUARE! You had to use your IMAGINATION! There were no multiple levels or screens. There was just one screen forever and you could never win the game. It just kept getting harder and faster until you died. JUST LIKE LIFE." --Ernie Cline

[This message has been edited by mikhael (edited 01-09-2002).]
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Admiral Petrarch did say in the latest command briefings that Shivans can use nodes that are too unstable for Terran and Vasudan vessels, that's true, but even if the Shivans used nodes unmapped by the GTVA, natural nodes (that is, nodes that haven't been stabilized by a Knossos device) only lead to adjacent systems. How could the Shivans reach Earth without passing through adjacent GTVA systems and without being noticed by the GTVA?

Besides, if Earth has to contend with the Shivans without support from the rest of the GTVA, Earth would fall in less than a day. 32+ years without contact or support from the rest of the GTVA would render Earth's equipment old and without spare parts. Earth was hardly self-sufficient when the Delta Sepentis node collapsed. How did Earth fare in the intervening time between FS1 and FS2? Not that well, I would guess. Economic and political turmoil in that time would have been fierce. The Terrans and Vasudans spent years rebuilding during the Reconstruction years. Earth alone and without commerce from the other Terran and Vasudan planets would not have fared nearly as well in the same period. And now the Shivans are attacking while Earth is still cut off?

My money is on the five-legged buggers.  

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Maybe the Shivans could have used those other two jump nodes from Sol; they might be too unstable for GTVA usage during FS1 and FS2, but Shivan forces could certainly use them. (BTW one of these leads to Beta Aquilae while the other goes off the nodemap in the direction of Regulus) Of course, they would then first have to deal with the GTVA military...

Any theories on what happened to Sol in the years between FS1 and FS2? My guess is that, like the GTA, it too degenerated into various independent factions trying to gain control of the whole system. They probably are not at war with each either, but more or less operate autonomously.

Starwing

I had a nice story about what happened to Earth, back in the days when I was thinking about making a campaign.
After the isolation most of the Terran heavy industry was gone, and military was weak. Pirates and other criminal groups infested the system. But several smaller corporation saw their chance, bought all know-how they could get, and quickly grew in size. They equiped the newly founded Provisoric Terran Republic with ships and weapons to fight the pirates. After this threat had been eliminated all Terran resources were used for  scientific research, to find a way to re-open the node. So a lot of new inventions were made that helped Earth to regain wealth.
Not knowing what happened to the Terrans outside Sol the Terran Defence Destroyer Majestic was constructed, 4.5km long and equiped with the only known weapon that might penetrate the shields of a Lucy, the mighty Impulse Wave Cannon.
With the time a new threat arose: a group of radicals that claimed that Sol was only strong because it was isolated, and that tried to stop all effords of re-opening the node.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
something I always wondered: why would the terran gvt goes apart because of the node destruction? There's really no obvious reason. There's already a strong government, they do have resources: 9 planets, countless satelittes and a whole asteroid ring! that's way enough for, say, Mars, Earth and maybe a couple of colonized satelites (io, europa and moon, maybe?). It's not like sol civilians were left on their own, there's probably a sol defense fleet stayed there for the worst case (luci had all the chances to reach sol after all), there's w/o a doubt a really powerfull regulation force (police etc). And when you've been cut of the rest of the universe by a terrible alien species that maybe destroyed the rest of tthe colonies (there's only one fleet in FS1, it's obvious the shivans may have more, no?) and may come to finish the job, what will you do? fight between each other, or try to unite and find a solution? In a lower but real scale, look what happened when the WTC was destroyed. During wars, when the enemy is defeated, the "winners" don't invade the "loser" anymore (I mean when it's the UN or the NATO). I think people are not that dumb.
Mmh, i hope what I wrote made any sense, doesn't sound like it did  
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's pretty much what I was thinking. A common enemy unites people. The people of Earth would be scared and would throw everything into ways to defeat the shivans.
 The time when Sol would start to have problems is after 5-10 years when people begin to think that the Shivans aren`t coming back but by then the worst of the problems would have already have been dealt with.

My guess is that if you went into Sol now you`d see defenses far more powerful than anything that the GTVA has.

Unlike the GTVA which needs a mobile fleet to protect its holdings over a wide area Sol only needed to protect a few places. Earth/Moon any colonies on mars, the asteroid belt (since it's a good mining area) and maybe one of the gas giants for fuel.
 The best way to do this would be orbital defenses far beyond anything the GTVA has ever needed. I'd be expecting to see beam cannons on the moon or in low Earth orbit, maybe even a planetary defence screen of millions of sentry guns maybe even sentries with beams.
 The GTVA developed beams soon after the great war so I expect Earth could too. Remember that Earth had better reasources than the other GTA systems (source of the prometheus remember?) and it also had the best scientists (incuding several vasudans.)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
The BWO campaign is about the reopening of the Sol node and one things sure, SOL aint weak. My opinion of the events is Earth's government was forced to radically change its structure, probably with a police enforced peace. Earth could with changes be self sufficient, food could be provided easily though the use of GM products, the asteroid belt provides the rest. Most of the GTVA's industrial power(60-80%) was located in the Sol system. The GTA went through such economic turmoil because most of its economy was based in the Sol system. Sol would have recovered alot quicker than the GTVA and its technology would be almost better, because as far as Sol node the Shivans are just waiting to return and thus the need to research and develop a war machine would be great, they would mantain vigilance against the Shivans for a long time to come. Beams were developed from scans of the Lucy so SOL would have beams although possibly not as powerful and dont forget, Sol probably had a Battlegroup located there. Pirate operations would be difficult, with only intrasystem jumps needed ships could enter and leave subspace at Mars, Earth, Lunar, Europa and where ever.
Got Ether?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
OK, guys, you sold me. I forgot that the GTA has most of its economic poer in Earth in 2335. I also said in one of my FRED Zone Guidelines posts that Earth had the Terran 1st Fleet stationed there and was cut off from the rest of GTVA when Lucy went boom so Earth would have good defenses.

If you want to see the list for yourselves, here's the link:
 http://pub11.ezboard.com/fjtofrm11.showMessage?topicID=23.topic

Enjoy!

But yeah, I think you're right; a case can be made that Earth could fight well on its own. What I still see as unlikely is the Shivans attacking Earth by itself when the outer GTVA systems haven't bee secured yet. I also don't see the point of the Shivans targeting Earth, nor can I see how it is even possible for the Shivans to attack Earth without leading the GTVA to any unmapped nodes that would allow the GTVA to follow the Shivans into the Sol system.

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God

The Order of the Stick

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
They cant reach Earth, but the SOL people dont know that, for all they known, they are the only ones left.
Got Ether?

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
they can't reach sol? they send two sathanas and some other destroyers in support, along with all their fighters and bomvers complement, and let's see if they can't reach earth.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Scorpius

• Artíste
A lot of those questions are answered in the Campaign such as

How can the Shivans attack Sol without the GTVA knowing about it?

Trust me the answer lies in the campaign.

How can Sol Survive on its own against the Shivans?

Well I'll give you this info (because its in the demo.) The lucifer wreckage still had its Shivan superlasers in tact when it was recovered. They had roughly 30 years to study the technology and equip a modified version of the beams on their ships. (equivilant to a LRed) Plus the massive amounts of ships accumulated over the years and the abundant resources available at Sol.

Final question that I don't have an answer to is: Should I finish the Campaign or not?
coming in late march.
My Galleries:

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
There is a distinct difference between a unstable and collasped node and anyway, they'd need to get to Delta Serpentis first.
Got Ether?

Offline Scorpius

• Artíste
Let me say this much. the Shivans have a much better of understanding of Subspace than us puny terrans can possibly imagine!  
coming in late march.
My Galleries:

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Originally posted by Scorpius:
...Final question that I don't have an answer to is: Should I finish the Campaign or not?

Better question: Why not finish the campaign. I'm sure most everyone here would play it.  

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

"Your guy was a little SQUARE! You had to use your IMAGINATION! There were no multiple levels or screens. There was just one screen forever and you could never win the game. It just kept getting harder and faster until you died. JUST LIKE LIFE." --Ernie Cline
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]