Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 7  (Read 96682 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 7
On that note, I have a vague memory that FS2_open used to disable the "Windows" key (the stupid thing between Ctrl and Alt), or am I imagining things ?

Would it be feasible to disable it for good ? Because I hate it when I accidently hit that key, and it seems impossible to buy a keyboard without it these days.
I don't remember if every disabling that key, and if it did I can't imagine a reason why it doesn't still do that.  But the new input code (part of the new pilot file code) does ignore more key input events (like CTRL+ALT, ALT-TAB, WIN, etc.) than the game currently does.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
ICTRL+ALT, ALT-TAB

Wait, what? Those are how I get out of the game if it freezes!
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline mr.WHO

3.6.9RC7 gives me such error:

HELP.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
ICTRL+ALT, ALT-TAB
Ignoring the keys is an active thing, so if the game freezes then it won't even be able to ignore them. :)

Plus, I'll probably have ALT-TAB still work when not in a mission, and not just block it 100%.

Offline mr.WHO

I tried other CVS but same effect.

it say something about localize/language, does it matter that my FS version is non english (in older FSO I only need to override my root_fs2.vp with english root to make FSO working fine) ?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
ICTRL+ALT, ALT-TAB
Ignoring the keys is an active thing, so if the game freezes then it won't even be able to ignore them. :)

Plus, I'll probably have ALT-TAB still work when not in a mission, and not just block it 100%.

As long as it works after you hit escape (when you get no, restart, quit menu), I'll be happy.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
it say something about localize/language, does it matter that my FS version is non english (in older FSO I only need to override my root_fs2.vp with english root to make FSO working fine) ?
It's not a code issue, but a problem with your data.  That error message will show up when the language in use doesn't exist in strings.tbl (I know, the message sucks as an indicator for that).  If you are using an english version of root_fs2.vp then just make sure that you don't have a strings.tbl file still laying around somewhere outside of a VP or something.  Also make sure that none of your other VP files include that same table file.

Offline mr.WHO

I foud this:

Setting language to Polish
(line 1:Warning: Could not find specified langauge in tstrings.tbl!

And Karajroma give me this tip:

But check the registry value for your copy and see if it's set to english for language

How I can swith language to English??

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 08:38:33 am by mr.WHO »

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I foud this:

Setting language to Polish
(line 1:Warning: Could not find specified langauge in tstrings.tbl!

And Karajroma give me this tip:

But check the registry value for your copy and see if it's set to english for language

How I can swith language to English??

IIRC you need to run your retail launcher and go to settings to set your language to English. Other than that you need to hack the registry with regedit, BUT BE CAREFUL. Messing with things in the registry can cause Windows not to work! I 'm sure if you ask Kara nicely he will tell you how to do it!  :nod:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline mr.WHO

*post modified* problem solved :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:41:21 am by mr.WHO »

Interesting error I've never seen before: I was looking through Inferno R1's techroom, cause I was really bored, and all of a sudden it stops showing the models in picture box. A moment later it crashes with the error: "Too many models". I opened it again, and tried those models again, and they worked fine, so I think it only occurs if you look through nearly every single entry in the table. Using RC7dot9x.

Not really a big error, as it only occurs if, as I said, if you look through almost every single entry in the tech room. Just an interesting one, since it didn't come up in any previous builds.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Interesting error I've never seen before: I was looking through Inferno R1's techroom, cause I was really bored, and all of a sudden it stops showing the models in picture box. A moment later it crashes with the error: "Too many models". I opened it again, and tried those models again, and they worked fine, so I think it only occurs if you look through nearly every single entry in the table. Using RC7dot9x.

Not really a big error, as it only occurs if, as I said, if you look through almost every single entry in the tech room. Just an interesting one, since it didn't come up in any previous builds.
It's nothing new, been there forever really.  The game will only ever load 128 POFs at a time, and that limit isn't all that difficult to hit in the techroom.  Although the techroom will unload textures from memory (to prevent an even worse problem) as you flip through the ship list, it doesn't unload POFs until you exit the techroom.  Post-3.6.9 builds won't have this "128" limit any longer, but it's not worth changing/fixing right now.

When did RC 7.9 come out?  Should I upgrade to it from RC 7.8, or just wait for the real 3.6.9?  Are there new vps as well?
Now playing: FSOpen, FSPort, Oblivion, Civ 4, Yoshi's Island DS

The vps haven't been changed in months according to the latest installer.

I'll be testing this for multiplayer at new years eve, anything special to look out for? Systems are all using a rather special bland of VP's due to me not having retail, but that seems to be working just fine. Using this build all 3 systems could play. Everything is running XP, and the system specs are:
Pentium 4 1.4Ghz
384MB RAM (of whatever kind that was in use between/paralel to SDRAM and DDR)
GF2 Ultra
1024*768 TFT limited at 60Hz

AMD64 2Ghz
1GB DDR
Radeon X800 Pro 256MB
1280*1024 TFT limited at 60Hz

AMD dual core 64 2Ghz
2GB DDR
Something fast and new from nVidia
1280*1024 TFT limited at 60Hz

The playing will be all through a tried and tested LAN.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline neoterran

(of whatever kind that was in use between/paralel to SDRAM and DDR)

RDRAM.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
By the way, I saw someone (Taylor, I think) post an RC8 build for OS X somewhere in one of the Mantis reports. Is there a Windows equivalent of that available? I'm still using 7.9.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
A Windows RC8 will be posted later tonight.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'll be testing this for multiplayer at new years eve, anything special to look out for?

Check for problems with weapons stats. Seeing as I tend to play BrRL more than FS2 I'm never sure if the low hit to fire ratio is due to the game itself or our data.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
A Windows RC8 will be posted later tonight.

Great, can't wait to try it out. :)