Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 7  (Read 96711 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 7
I am getting an error were it is saying I need OpenAL drivers better then 1.1.  I did download the latest from the .org web site.  But it still is not working. I am now using fs2_open_3_6_9 RC7.    If i missed this problem allready being addressed just point me in the right direction.
If you've got the newest ones from the OpenAL (or Creative) website installed then it's likely just some old DLL hanging around which is reporting as 1.0 instead of 1.1.  Check in C:\Windows\System32 for either ct_oal.dll or nvopenal.dll, and if either exists then delete them.

This may seem like a stupid question, but when will the real 3.6.9 be released?  I have release candidate 7 right now (I think it's 7.8 but I'm not sure; I got it from the installer) and will I have to get new mediavps and a new launcher? 

Thanks a lot. 

PS: What programming language is FSOpen in?  I know a little Python and was just wondering.
Now playing: FSOpen, FSPort, Oblivion, Civ 4, Yoshi's Island DS

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
This may seem like a stupid question, but when will the real 3.6.9 be released?  I have release candidate 7 right now (I think it's 7.8 but I'm not sure; I got it from the installer) and will I have to get new mediavps and a new launcher?

1. Once they're done with it. It should be soon.
2. Yes, new mediavps and launcher. However, Installer will be updated within 2-3 hours of 3.6.9 Release being given out.

PS: What programming language is FSOpen in?  I know a little Python and was just wondering.

It's in C/C++. Mind you, it's really difficult to understand, on account of it being so large and complex. I've been programming in C for 4 years and I still don't understand the vast majority of the code.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Ok, that makes sense about when to release 3.6.9.  Anyway, I have one weird bug that continually pops up when I start the launcher, or start FSOpen from the launcher: A dialog box pops up and says: "Please make image 255x112"  How do I fix this?

Thanks again; I know I'm asking too many noob questions.
Now playing: FSOpen, FSPort, Oblivion, Civ 4, Yoshi's Island DS

I tried RC 7 and RC 7.9x.

When i start FSO with the dot9x Build i don't see cutscenes, i have only sound.
Additionally when i skip the Cutscene i land on Desktop and FS2 is minimized.
So i have to max it, again to get to the Pilot Screen.

When i wait when the Intro is finished (only a blackscreen :() i'm at the pilot screen without i have to max. the FS2 Task.
I try it with "Disable(Activate) scale-to-window for movies" command-line. But with no effect, i have still a Black-Screen.

With RC7 i have a few problems with In-Story Cutscenes (Outtro/Monologues), i have to minimize FS2 and then to max it again to see the Video, but here the Intro plays fine without any problems.
But in RC 7.9x no cutscene runs fine, i have only Sound :(

Then i have another annoying problem:
I haven't played a current SCP Build for a long time (my last was 3.6.8 Delta and a EXE from this time) and so i don't know it's a problem with RC7.9x (don't tested it with RC7, too. Maybe it's a problem with current VPs?). But when i finish the Freespace 2 Campaign and load a mod and start the mod campaign (all Media VPs are in the root FS2 Folder and Modfiles in the Modfolder) all Stats from my pilot has gone. 0 Kills, 0 Medals and Ensign again :-| I remember a time, when i played mod after mod the stats was kept and can use it in the next mod. For example: I played the Freespace Port and Freespace 2 with the same pilot and at the beginning of the Freespace 2 Campaign i have my kills, medals and ranks i get during the Freespace Port. But today i've zero kills, zero medals and i'm ensign at the beginning :-|
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ok, that makes sense about when to release 3.6.9.  Anyway, I have one weird bug that continually pops up when I start the launcher, or start FSOpen from the launcher: A dialog box pops up and says: "Please make image 255x112"  How do I fix this?

Thanks again; I know I'm asking too many noob questions.

Basically you're missing an image. It's not a serious problem but the file you're after is the bmp file in this file. It should be in the mod folder for whatever mod is giving you the error.

Whatever you do, do not install the mod.ini file from that folder. It might work perfectly or it might prevent you from running that mod properly.

I suspect this problem is caused by Divx Toolbar. You should be able to find a way to turn it off without too much trouble.

Or you can simply install Xvid.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I suspect this problem is caused by Divx Toolbar. You should be able to find a way to turn it off without too much trouble.

Or you can simply install Xvid.

Couldn't he just get the MVE cutscenes?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That would solve the problem too but I don't know where to get them from.

XviD?

I'll try it.

MVE Cutscenes? These aren't a great problem, because i've still my FS2 CDs here. But i thought SCP can't handle .mve because it is(was) a licensed format from Interplay.

But first i will try it with XviD.

Thanks anyway :)

| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Older FSO versions can't handle it. Right now Interplay are too busy keeping their creditors from repossessing the entire company to bother with us so we put a MVE player in.

Offline redmenace

Not only that, but it was reversed engineered by someone other than us.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
7dot9x is supposed to have a fix (or rather, a hack) for the DivX Toolbar problem actually.  It works perfectly in my tests, but then that's with OpenGL.  D3D should also work though.  It works better in windowed mode than fullscreen at the moment, but that should be fixed in my next build (not ETA on that though, and it may not be public).

I just tried it with XviD. And now the Videos plays fine again. Thx for the XviD hint.

I've still the jump-to-Desktop-and-minimize-FS2 problem after i skip the Intro.
But this could be the fullscreen-problem and it's okay. It's not annoying for me :)

Now, i'm able to wait for RC8 or better RC7dotwhatever ;)

Offline miskat

Alright, I've had 3.6.9rc7dot9 working for a little while now, happily playing FSPort with full mediavp goodness.

God bless you fella's.

However, there is one annoying little tidbit that I noticed is happening (seems to happen in both FSPort and FS2): FS2 seems to like to minimize itself!  Now, there isn't some known time when it does this, mind you.  It seems to just do it randomly, really.  Always during play.  I noticed someone above having problems with cutscenes; that's not me.  Very odd, but it's always kind enough to pause the game first, so I don't die.  Makes this just an annoyance, really.

Keep up the awesome work, everyone!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
However, there is one annoying little tidbit that I noticed is happening (seems to happen in both FSPort and FS2): FS2 seems to like to minimize itself!  Now, there isn't some known time when it does this, mind you.  It seems to just do it randomly, really.  Always during play.  I noticed someone above having problems with cutscenes; that's not me.  Very odd, but it's always kind enough to pause the game first, so I don't die.  Makes this just an annoyance, really.
It will minimize whenever it loses focus, which means that a popup was activated, your firewall had a prompt of some sort, or something like that.  That is on the todo list to deal with better, but for post-3.6.9 only.

3.7 shouldn't have that same problem though, since I'm working on a major overhaul of the whole thing.  With the new changes, when the game is running it will assume that is all you want to do.  Everything else the system does is secondary and the game will ignore it, unless it's some critical problem of course.  Even those dreaded warning message popups you get with debug builds will be handled with in-game popups instead, so you will never have to leave the game window to deal with them.  And just like before, you will be able to continue playing, break into a debugger, or exit the game, plus you'll now have the option of disabling warnings for rest of the session ("session" will be considered the current mission).  The warnings will additionally be logged to fs2_open.log to aid developers.  The big point of course is that you want have to run the game in a window in debug builds to get around the popup window problem. :)

Offline miskat

Is it normal, then, for there to be nothing on or around my desktop calling my attention?

I mean... it's always just my blank desktop... not even any annoying message bubbles from my system tray.  =/

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Is it normal, then, for there to be nothing on or around my desktop calling my attention?
Some people have reported this, but's not really the game which deals with those things.  It's Windows itself that tells the game that something else needs the users attention, and the game merely honors that (unfortunately in most cases).  So, Windows is telling the game to drop focus and give it something else, and we can't really stop that.  The only thing that we can do is ignore those requests, but that is a big enough change that it needs to happen after 3.6.9.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

I mean... it's always just my blank desktop... not even any annoying message bubbles from my system tray.  =/
This has actually happened to me very recently. It's happened before that it was my anti-virus giving me a message, but those two times there was absolutely nothing that should have forced the game to minimize.

Perhaps post-3.6.9 it should be made an option to ignore windows' requests in that regard (except, perhaps, for specific applications you allow it for).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
On that note, I have a vague memory that FS2_open used to disable the "Windows" key (the stupid thing between Ctrl and Alt), or am I imagining things ?

Would it be feasible to disable it for good ? Because I hate it when I accidently hit that key, and it seems impossible to buy a keyboard without it these days.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
On that note, I have a vague memory that FS2_open used to disable the "Windows" key (the stupid thing between Ctrl and Alt), or am I imagining things ?

Would it be feasible to disable it for good ? Because I hate it when I accidently hit that key, and it seems impossible to buy a keyboard without it these days.
Och, aye. I have painful memories of the Windows key. I avoid using Ctrl and Alt for anything, nowadays.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.