Author Topic: Hades in FS2 intro ?!?  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Vip

Hades in FS2 intro ?!?
Well, recently I was looking at the new, shiny, high-poly models for FSO, and as always stopped for a quite long moment at the Hades one (it was the first time I've seen it). Suddenly I got this strange feeling I know this ship somehow... I turned the FS2 intro, and what ??? Tadaaa, we have there a Hades !!!

It appears just after the scene where Herc is being shot down. then we have this fog, Freespace 2 logo (voila !!) and a shot on the planet's surface (Deneb, I think). Take a look at the crashed ship there... I'm almost 100% sure it's a Hades...

Just what the heck a Hades did there ?!? Well, I haven't played ST, but I suppose it was destroyed by our hero, Alpha 1  ;)
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Hades in FS2 intro ?!?
:welcome:

The FS2 intro has a whole bunch of mistakes in it. Ships firing from the wrong places, the Hades appearing on the surface of a planet when it was destroyed in another star system.

No idea why really.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
My question is why there's a damned Faustus in there. Not to mention the lack of the other Orions we know were involved in the Battle of Deneb, although at least they had the sense to slap the Hope in there. Honestly, it's almost as if :v: got a third-party to make that cutscene.

Pretty, though.

Edit: Actually, on second thought, only the Legion was present at that phase of the battle, no? I mean, the Galatea was destroyed elsewhere if I remember correctly...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 07:28:34 am by Mefustae »

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
I remember the Galetea being destroyed at Deneb, but apparantly, the Orion getting the smack down by the Lucy in that cutscene is not the Galatea. 

So, that's the Hades on the planet?  I was wondering what that was.  My perspective was off, I actually thought it was a fighter, like a tangled up Apollo or something.  That is strange...  I did learn that the voice for the intro is apparantly done by Stephen Baldwin, Alec Balwin's brother.  I always assumed it was voiced by the same guy who did Admiral Bosch.

Offline ShivanSpS

There is a lot of inconsistenses around of FS2, the Intro and Endgame1 cutscenes are not scepcion...

In the Intro if you look well, even the shoots of the orion go in the wrong direction :P, their come to the turrets instead of go away :P
The Hades... well it looks like the Hades, but none is 100% sure. Personally, I always think that is the Hades :P

And in the Endgame... Commands says that only few people remains, one convoy, and their also say the the "mayority of the fleet is fending off a masive attack on the Vega node", when in the endgame shows there is a lot of  big fighting in system :P (Including a Vasudan destroyer blowing up :P).

In the Campaing... well... I assume that every one remains snipes saying "We have incoming, Ravana class cruiser, dessingnation Nebiros..." or "Command this is the Reneret (or wharever), we a detecting two wings of Mara fighters at six thousand meters from our position, the enemy is not engage". Or the great problem which the fs2 timeline...

I still not sure why  :v: could do the best space game ever and comit so obius mistakes at the same time :P

P.D. The intro movie never shows the Name of the Orion... so... I asume that fight is the fight in the Vasudan prime Jump Node.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
IIRC Volition actually contracted a separate company for a few of the cutscenes, who probably weren't familiar with the FS1 story and just used whatever looked cool.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Or maybe there was another Hades? :drevil:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
:welcome:

The FS2 intro has a whole bunch of mistakes in it. Ships firing from the wrong places, the Hades appearing on the surface of a planet when it was destroyed in another star system.

No idea why really.

I thought someone said a while back that Interplay made the intro cutscene and screwed it all up...

... Speaking of plotholes, in the mission 'The Great Hunt' the breifing shows the Iblis as a Lilith class cruiser, but the Lysander says "Cain class vessel coming into veiw..." and it is a cain class vessel, but it's the Iblis.

:nervous:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No doubt a Lilith was thought to be too much of a challenge and was swiftly changed.

The mission was definitely FREDded with a Lilith in mind. You only need look at the event names for proof of that.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There are quite a few briefing inconsistencies like that in the game. One of the stranger ones is in sm2-09, where they say that the Sopedu will back you up but a different corvette, the Thutmose, appears in the mission.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Or maybe there wasn't!

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Or maybe there wasn't!
I think there was because A) in the tech description it hints at the GTVA trying to recreate it. B) If they did recreate it, it wouldn't be as good.  Hence no shivan super lasers and half the hitpoints.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

I think they were going to bring the Hades back in... err, the next game, the one who's name is unspeakable here.

The Hades project seemed to me like it was too valuable to simply throw away. The debriefing of Silent Threat's final missions states that it had "Shivan defense systems", that, at the time of the attack, hadn't been activated. Does this mean Lucifer-style shields? Imagine what that could do against the Shivans! (Please, let's not go into the whole argument on whether modern beam guns can pierce Lucy-shields.  :ick:)

And the tech description hints at rebuilding the Hades. Who knows?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
But that was quite a bit of years before FS2. Had Hades had any revolutinary and working technology, it would have been integrated in to newer designs. Improvements we see in newer ships are beams and flak. Or maybe Hades had some fancy Shivan powerbook that didn't work no matter what. Or the technology was about new computers and/or targetting systems and/or sensors.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
IIRC Volition actually contracted a separate company for a few of the cutscenes, who probably weren't familiar with the FS1 story and just used whatever looked cool.

The same is for beam cannons.

Yup.Something is covered in "TheSouthernCross".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Or maybe after seeing that the Hades get destroyed by a single fighter they decided it was a bit **** and didn't bother building another one :)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yes. But that was a very special fighter. It had a special high tech addon called... RUBBER BAND!!
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think they were going to bring the Hades back in... err, the next game, the one who's name is unspeakable here.

The Hades project seemed to me like it was too valuable to simply throw away. The debriefing of Silent Threat's final missions states that it had "Shivan defense systems", that, at the time of the attack, hadn't been activated. Does this mean Lucifer-style shields? Imagine what that could do against the Shivans! (Please, let's not go into the whole argument on whether modern beam guns can pierce Lucy-shields.  :ick:)

'Modern' (FS2-era) weaponry is powerful enough to breach the Lucifer shields anyways, it was simply a case that FS1 tech was too weak; I believe one of the devs said such on the VBB (albeit they did have to find some way to explain the lack of Lucys' or shielded capships in FS2).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The Hades died people.. let it go........ ::)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
That's MACROSS, not Southern Cross.

And IMHO it's not wreckage of the Hades, but instead the remains of SDF-1 (that was just rammed by Khyron). Also that is not a Herc, but instead a downed Zentreadi fighter as you can clearly see the dead pilot holding his Minmay doll...

(much sarcasim)...  :P

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)