Author Topic: Donations  (Read 33843 times)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
*ding!*

Just doin' me part :)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Many debit cards can be used just like credit cards.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Crap.

Visa Electron doesn't seem to be good enough a debit card for PayPal. :sigh: :(
Visa Electron works as long as it has the "Visa Certified" logo. I know, I used to use Visa Electron with PayPal years back.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
What ways have been considered to make HLP more profitable?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Ads and donations, or do you want we charge hosted projects monthly? :wtf:

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
i need you to tell me what bandwidth you use on a monthly basis, what kind of 'performance' you need.  (for example.  dual opteron 148s (dual cores) with 4 GB of RAM, 600 GB of space, etc.)

also what you're paying per month right now.  and what you'd be paying per month in the ideal situation (i.e. for a server that's up to par... assuming the one you have now isn't).

runtime.  what's "doable" downtime?  2 hours/month? 6 hours/month?  15 minutes/month?

let me know plz :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
IIRC, Paypal allows you in some countries to sign up and add your bank info, and it will exchange money with that if you don't have a credit card.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Stealth, since the plan is to get both HLP and GW into the same server due to financial reasons, it is hard to say what is the optimal hardware. However, I think it is safe to say that even the lowest end dual-core CPU, 1GB RAM and 80GB RAID1 should do fine. As for bandwidth, 1TB per month is pretty safe bet assuming we don't want to move all downloads back to torrents. As for downtime, that greatly depends how much hosting costs.

We now pay $57 per month, that's how much we can afford with ads as long as we would be running Google AdSense. As we aren't now, we can't afford even that, meaning Sandwich has been and still is paying for many months from his own pockets. Anything more than that and we need donations, assuming we will ever be able to run AdSense on hard-light.net again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 03:37:44 am by Fury »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
E-Mail me Fury, we need to talk £££............ 8)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If you want to talk about financial matters, I suggest you PM Sandwich.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
In case you missed my post earlier, look into that Yahoo Ads service and see if it's any good. The guy who runs that Brickshelf site once said that the hosting service costs over $1000 monthly, but the ad revenue is enough to cover it all.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yahoo ads beta participation requires valid U.S social security or tax id number. AFAIK only Goober would be able to register, assuming we would even get into the beta. I leave that for Sandwich and Goober decide whether they want to get into it.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
^^^ What he said. ^^^
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Oh, I see. I suppose going back to Gamespy is also impossible at this point?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Wasn't this actionplanet at one point? :confused:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Gamespy was worse than what we're with currently - far worse. Anyone remember the multiple MySQL DB crashes that lost us months of posts?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I do have one question: why is Google (apparently) being such a bunch of hardasses over this?  You get a few fraudulent clicks, get one account shut down, make another, and get that shut down as well, just because it's "connected" to the old account?  Real bastardly thing to do, if you ask me.

Money-wise, I don't know if I could help out on a monthly basis, since I'm on essentially little to no income, but I might be able to make a one-time donation for now, if that's at all possible.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Gamespy was worse than what we're with currently - far worse. Anyone remember the multiple MySQL DB crashes that lost us months of posts?

I forced it ut of my mind, But now its all flooding back........... My JK47 account  :(
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Will we get a donation-o-meter?

I still need to donate. Stupid PayPal registration... :(
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yahoo ads beta participation requires valid U.S social security or tax id number. AFAIK only Goober would be able to register, assuming we would even get into the beta. I leave that for Sandwich and Goober decide whether they want to get into it.

Oh noes!

Okay, I'll have a chat with Sandwich.