Author Topic: Donations  (Read 33974 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Nobody's getting any sort of special treatment for donating; that kinda ruins the point. It's a donation, not a purchase of special treatment.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Nobody's getting any sort of special treatment for donating; that kinda ruins the point. It's a donation, not a purchase of special treatment.

Thats hardly the point. The point is certain people may take it as such.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
And they will be wrong.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Thats hardly the point. The point is certain people may take it as such.

Doesn't matter. Paying entry to a nightclub doesn't automatically permit you to grope all the women and urinate on the managers desk (and if it does can someone tell me which nightclub :D )

Same rules apply here.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Do you dislike nightclub managers?

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
So, how much have we got thus far?  So I can donate more if it's needed.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Not particularly but short of urinating on the bouncers themselves nothing is more likely to end up with you on the street outside the club nursing a black eye :)

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
I came across this page that lists some adsense alternatives:

http://www.associateprograms.com/articles/208/1/Adsense-Competitors-and-Alternatives

I don't exactly know how they work though.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum

What if I put 'Michael Cohen' on the cheque?
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman

Not particularly but short of urinating on the bouncers themselves nothing is more likely to end up with you on the street outside the club nursing a black eye :)

Just don't ask for money back when a gambling machine eats it. There are... stories about The Garage, and people getting swift kickings.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

If you don't think peeing on the manager's desk is gonna get you an ass whooping, I have surprising news.

Also I'm gonna have to donate sometime today or tommorow.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think you misunderstood me. I was well aware it would get you your arse kicked. That was my whole point. Just because you pay to get into a nightclub, even if you pay VIP prices it doesn't mean you won't get beaten up and ejected if you misbehave.

Same thing applies to HLP donations.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Same thing applies to HLP donations.

About these donations,first Sandwich said "200$ per month or 2400$ per year".
The second choice is far better.There could pass months with no sufficient $ to maintain the host gained.With an "XXX$ left" label or something else we can all see how many $stuff is required to reach those 2400.
Is it a good idea?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, currently we're at $350, so there's a long ways yet to go... ;) Thanks to everyone who's donated so far, though. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Shade

'Tis not bad for barely a week's worth of donations. And 200/mo is actually suprisingly little when spread over a forum population, even if only 50 feel like donating that's only 4$ per person per month :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

You guys are paying $57/month for hosting? Assuming that at least a couple of the admins/owners of this site are grownups and have paying jobs (which is hopefully a pretty safe assumption) why should this amount be so difficult to scrounge up amoungst yourselves? Look at wcnews, they are completely ad-less, have more traffic, and pay more for hosting than you guys, yet the owners of still pay for hosting out of their own pockets. I don't think any of them are past their 20's either. I don't want to seem mean or anything (I did still donate, BTW), but shouldn't you guys be able to handle something as low as $57/month by yourselves?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, AFAIK Sandwich HAS been paying this whole thing from his own pockets for some time (don't know for how long), and thus your message quite nullifies itself.

Secondly, as you would know if you hadstudied the matter more, the current shared hosting service used sucks bits occasionally, which has resulted in intolerable technical problems lately, mainly too much downtime.

So, the HLP (and Game Warden) are going to get a dedicated server. However, dedicated servers cost a lot more than shared hosting solutions. The estimated money flow (for ideal server solution) will increase to about 200$ a month, 2400$ a year... I'm sure you understand that it would be unfair to presume that a few people on the forums would be willing to pay that much. Even for ten people to pay, it would still be 240$ a year.

But if you get even a hundred donators, the price per year per capita reduces to only 24$. More donators, less stress on individual pockets.

Plus, it's awesomely adolescent behaviour to go suggesting things like that. It's like "Hey, you're a big car dealer. Why don't you give me free car with all the special equipment there can be, and you pay the importer? You've got monet and I want a car."

In this analogy, the devs and admins are already working hard to get you the car with all the equipment, and now you want them also to pay for it...?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Basically, Herra's right. HLP's not in imminent danger of going under - at least, not financially (server stability is another matter). And even if the donations do not end up matching the need, the adminship is willing to shoulder whatever needs to be shouldered to keep this place running. I'm not a money-hungry despot; paying for HLP out of my own pocket - even though my time here is not what it used to be in the past - does not bother me too much - as long as it's a necessity. If people are willing to donate money to help HLP out, that's wonderful, and I certainly am not going to refuse them simply because I am financially capable of keeping HLP afloat and living my real life at the same time.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
* an0n translates

"I need beer money, *****es...."
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper