Author Topic: So what's happening to the US military?  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: So what's happening to the US military?
The states have always had the same amount of power they have today (for the most part). The thing is, because the President is such a dividing figure, it's encouraging individual states to take paths that agree with their mindset; i.e. more liberal states passing more liberal laws, etc. The thing is, the US mindset (and that of the world) has changed to view the United States as one whole country, much like Germany or China. In actuality, and by the Constitution, it is much more akin to a heavily united Republic.

The thing is, if the US federal government collapsed, the United States and it's culture would not necessarily do the same. Strong states such as New York, California and Texas would most likely be able to carry on individually.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I doubt that it would be very beneficial for the states to become independent. And that would create a huge powerwacuum which China and/or Japan would rush to fill.
The US will decline a bit, no doubt about it. And that's a good thing. Had the US been going like it was, building power and becoming more influental, the rest of the world would have eventually turned against it. And that woiuld have been the end of US of A.
But US won't break apart. All it needs is for it's people to get their heads out of their asses take a look where their country is going to. I have faith that they will. Eventually.

Or the US will fall in to civil war. From which a new totalitarian dictatorship will arise. And that road leads to an new world war. So you see thatre is nor use to keep living this life anymore. Have a pleasant flight beyond the galactic rim.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
hey, we got through the 60's and 70's, we can easily get through this.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
We've been on the high end for a while now, it's time for us to go back into a dip.

It's a constant process.  the U.S. won't just die, it will just lose alot of power for a while, which will likely  be made up for by China and Europe.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Am I the only one that sees that this has a good side aswell? Sure you will be letting in some gun crazy idiots. But on the other side, how much good would enlisting in the military would do. Put them thru boot camp, then deploy them to Iraq for a year or so. Sounds like it would do a pretty good job at staightening most of them out.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Yeah, there's nothing like a little PTSD to help reconcile the undisciplined soul with their society.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
It is true, the Military does do some people in rough situations alot of good.  I've heard of many people going through and coming out much better people.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
So if Iraq became a hellish warzone, in the end it'll be good for the US 'cause its straightening out their youth? :P

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
That or it gets rid of the indigent scum. After all, the wealthy aren't on the front lines. "Gang bangers" take it up the ass take it in the forehead first.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
the rich only start the war, the poor have to fight and pay for it
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Quote from: Platoon
Well, here I am, anonymous all right. With guys nobody really cares about. They come from the end of the line, most of 'em. Small towns you never heard of: Pulaski, Tennessee; Brandon, Mississippi; Pork Van, Utah; Wampum, Pennsylvania. Two years' high school's about it, maybe if they're lucky a job waiting for them back at a factory, but most of 'em got nothing. They're poor, they're the unwanted, yet they're fighting for our society and our freedom. It's weird, isn't it? They're the bottom of the barrel and they know it. Maybe that's why they call themselves grunts, cause a grunt can take it, can take anything. They're the best I've ever seen, Grandma. The heart & soul.
Good movie, made a good point.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep

Well when you go for high-tech volunteer force that's pretty much what's going to happen.
lol wtf

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Its not a wierd analogy, its history repeating itself. When the Roman Empire was in its last days, the people were too bent on pleasure seeking to care to defend it. The army was comprised of barbarians that had become part of the empire and mercenaries. When the hoards invaded Rome, there were few good soldiers to fight, and the army collapsed. Not to say that the US army will collapse, but I definitly think the US has reached the hight of its glory and is on the decline from within, not due to any president or government official.

... but that's not how Rome collapsed!
They collapsed because they overextended, got stuck on internal fighting and let independent kingdoms to become a part of them. They effectively turned from central government to feudal style, because it was cheaper and more efficient. There wasn't a "Barbarian invasion", there was "Barbarian immigration" and "oh **** it we didn't need Thracia anyways" and "well I need help against this dude, how about is call those Goths to help me and let them live inside my borders without adhering to our rules oh ****"
lol wtf