Author Topic: The HAND  (Read 5530 times)

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
I don't know if this was ever brought up before, but since TBP is here to bring the Awe of Babylon 5 to FreeSpace2, maybe theres the possibility to expand on THE LEGEND OF THE RANGERS. What I heard, that was to be the pilot to a new series, but it happened to air at the same time as a football tournament (CURSE YOU FOOTBALL LOVERS!), and thus didnt get high enough ratings for that dream of JMS and fans to come to fruition. The story regarding The Hand, is left wide open to speculation....and the idea of a force that makes the shadows "mere insects" in comparison is deeply intriguing.
Not sure what would need to be done to get permission to follow up on this, but since TBP is already a working thing, I dont think there'd be any problems.

Any thoughts For or Against? If For, then what next?
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
If you can, do it.

If you can't, well... most people who can are already occupied with campaigns such as Babylonian History X, Earth-Minbari War and others, non-TBP projects. Even the existing projects are having difficulties finding able people to accelerate the projects.

Perhaps one day this idea, too, will be made into a campaign of some kind. ;)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

I'd be more than happy to bring this into the forray, but I've only barely started to learn to even model, let alone get them to work w/o the game crashing when my custom ships die. And FRED....I cant FRED to save my life unless I can find a tutorial thats actually useful and dont go from Step 1 to Step ???? in 10 minutes without pause. In any case, I dont even have FRED2_Open...not sure where to find it.
Though it is a small consolation...I DO have a copy of LEGEND OF THE RANGERS on VHS that I taped when it first aired. Perhaps I should get the DVD of it....

I dont mean to repeat, but where can I find FRED2_Open since the retail FRED2 doesnt like FSO.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I dont mean to repeat, but where can I find FRED2_Open since the retail FRED2 doesnt like FSO.

How unsurprizing... ;7

Anyway, FRED_open 3.6.9 RC builds are supplied along with the FS2_open 3.6.9 RC builds; just get for example 3.6.9 RC7 RAR package and you'll find inside four files: normal and debug builds for both fs2_open and fred_open.

You will find them in Recent Builds Forum.

:nod:

I have never FREDded either, and I've just made the beginning of my first model, so I can't really help - plus I don't have time to dedicate myself to any project other than my studies and random work with... something related to FS.

I hope I can be of some help, though. :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

Off I go to download, 3.6.9 FSO. <---sung to Off to see the Wizard.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
So you liked LOTR?  :eek2:
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I'll will use this opportunity to mention the hot read headed weapons officer again. ;7

And the ship... what it was? Oh ****! I can't remember its name anymore! The ship that ghosts onboard, the crappy one. What was it. Anyway, the model is cool. Looks like the Dreadnought from I-War. Someone should model that.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I'll will use this opportunity to mention the hot read headed weapons officer again. ;7

That was so f**king Power Rangers.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yeah. That was so stupid what she did. But I don't hold it against her. She was just doing what she was told. Just like any obidient hot read headed biatch should. :pimp:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You forgot to mention the crappy weapon effects, the poor excuse for sets, and the ludicrous CGI anomalies, such as the massive Nial fighters that were both 10 times the size of the Liandra (which was the name of the ghost ship BTW) and flying backwards!  The CGI and weapon anamalies in LOTR make those of Crusade look well-polished, which was notably poorer than B5 later seasons.

Seriously though, the lack of data regarding "The Hand", their origins, and any tie-ins to pre-established B5 plot-lines, make extracting the plot virtually impossible.  The only thing I could possibly correllate The Hand to would be the 3rd-Space aliens.  However, my views are tainted by The Babylon 5 Parallel Universe Story, which does alot more dealing with the 3rd-Space aliens towards the end (though being entirely fan-fiction).  Some of the details it goes into, have similarities to the those of the Hand.  Perhaps the dorway referenced in LOTR was another gateway to the aliens' realm.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 08:22:28 pm by Trivial Psychic »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Man, these acronyms first got me confused.

I wondered what the hell does LOTR (with The Ring) got to do with anything in this thread; first I thought the forums had burped a message to some other thread into here.

But then I realized that LOTR didn't have massive Nials going backwards, and finally it flashed to my mind that LOTR might stand for Legend of the Rangers... :nervous:

:lol:

Does anyone have picture of "the hand ship". Or even a 3d mesh. I need a top/bottom views of it. If anyone could help. Thank you.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

Actually, this type of ship was referred to as a "toy" that The Hand give to their servants in exchange for their allegiance.  Its weapons include a green pulse that fires from the end of the longer spikes, a pink-purple long range pulse, that fires from the underside of the glowing donut hole at the center (requiring the ship to re-orient with the bottom aiming at the target), and what I call the "soccer ball of death", which is a large structure of spiky mines that are arranged into a soccer ball shape and deploy similar to the Shadow fighter ball thing.

Thank you for the help, Trivial Psychic. Where did you find the picture?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
that's real LotR-footage (isn't it?)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :eek2: Looks nothiung ike Frodo........... :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thank you for the help, Trivial Psychic. Where did you find the picture?
Screen cap from "Legend of the Rangers", from my copy.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ahhh, apologies, i thought you meant the other "LoTR"  :) much sorries indeed :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
They should have tried to negotiate with THE HAND. Because the face wasn't listening.

Trivial Psychic do you have and 3d meshes or screen captures from other places besides the movie? Anybody do you know where?