Author Topic: Tactical fleet simulators?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Tactical fleet simulators?
Got Sword of the Stars yesterday. Didn't have much time to play but I got to experience my first battle. I was left wondering why I could only enter the battle with two ships at time, guess I should read the manual after all. :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I used to quite enjoy Harpoon many years ago, apart from it's ultra aggressive AI glitches like firing a total of 400 Phoenix missiles from my F14s at a single Badger from 200km away(I'm not sure what they would have done to Mushrooms or Snakes before anyone asks). That was one of the few games where the simplistic graphics actually added to the gameplay :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Harpoon. God that takes me back. I started playing it when I was ten, never graduated beyond playing Classic since I liked the minimalist graphics too. Ah...good ole days playing Fortress Keflavik into the ground. And Doolitov's Raid...

I have my EC2000 Classic disc around here somewhere, time to bring it out again...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Got Sword of the Stars yesterday. Didn't have much time to play but I got to experience my first battle. I was left wondering why I could only enter the battle with two ships at time, guess I should read the manual after all. :p

you need a CnC ship to get more upgrade your C3 research
I hate My signature!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Thanks, guessed it was something like that. :) Gotta start a new game when I get back home and put the things I learned the first time around into good use. ;7

The game is simpler than I thought, there is very little colony management which is unusual in this type of game. I wonder if there's simpler way of exploring and colonizing than do it all from the main (tactical?) starmap view? The more space you explore, the more difficult it becomes to pick unexplored systems from explored ones and habitable systems from inhabitable ones from the 3D starmap.

MoO2 and 3 had a very handy list of known planets, you could easily send a colony ship to known planets if they were habitable and in range. I did not notice a similar planets list in SotS, only already colonized planets were listed. :(

Edit: Well there is explored systems lists, but you can't move ships or even colony ships through the list.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:07:42 pm by Fury »

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
hit the star button on the bottom toolbar it makes starmap B/W W is explored B is not :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yes it helps, but I much prefer the interface MoO2 had back in the 1996 and MoO3 also had too. Hopefully upcoming patches will make the budget screen better, similar to MoO2.