Author Topic: First, compilments! Then a tiny problem.  (Read 5327 times)

Offline AlexG

First, compilments! Then a tiny problem.
I do not want to be the guy whose first post is him winging on about some problem that he's having. That is a bad first impression. So I shall first talk about how cool this mod is. It makes me happy. It rocks my socks. It is the bees knees. It makes me happy, knowing that I will once again be able to take on the unknown enemy in the jet black ships.

It also makes me very happy that I am able to use the mod now. I wasn't before because, for some strange reason, I put all the files into my directory and nothing happened. At all.

I later (read: 30 minutes ago) discovered that I has 2 separate installations of Freespace2... one in C:\Games, and the other in C:\Program Files. With a clean install, magically, the mod worked. I just destroyed the Vasudan ace in mission 2, and I never got so much satisfaction out of it.

Now, after all this praise and a little self-deprecating humor, comes my problem. You see, no matter what I do I cannot get the original music in-game... as in, while I am flying around. The briefing music is changed*, the debriefing music is changed, the in-game music is still the FS2 choral arangement. Does this make the mod unplayable or unenjoyable? No. But I would sure like to make it all lovely and wonderful and... true.

Also I have downloaded the original movie files from somewhere, and they are .avi files in DIVX format. Someone said, I think, that I could put those in a folder and they would play.

Alright, so it was 2 questions. So, sue me.**

Thanks again for a great mod, and a great community that I have admired for a long time (read: 20 minutes ago). I look forward to intereacting with all you FS players. I am even going to get into FREDing. I think this is one game I could finally design levels for. NO architecture! NO walls! NO HARD MATH YOU GUYS! Alright, thanks, thanks, and thanks again. See you all around. I am off to go have my first encounter with the Shivans. Yeah. Shivans. For the first time again.

*Did I say the briefing music changed? Hah, hah, silly me. It didn't. I was wrong here. I still think the debriefing music has changed but I am not so sure anymore. I do have warble_fs1, clocking in at 48,004 KB, in my Freespace2 directory. So, I am not sure what is going on there.
**Actually please do not, i am a poor college student you guys
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:21:20 pm by AlexG »

Re: First, compilments! Then a tiny problem.
Is warble in the same directory as the other FS1 vp's? (Which should be in Freespace 2 main/FS1/ or something similar.)

AVI's go in data/movies within the folder for the port, but AVI support is buggy.  You may want to go for MVE's instead.  See this post for 'em.

Oh yeah...

Beam cannon control: OPEN FIRE!!!
:welcome:

Exits are to the right and left, but the airlocks are stuck open, so attempting to leave would have undesirable effects.  You could wait for our next supply shipment to come, but the last delivery was X-Mas '04, so don't expect much.

Under your seat, you will find flamethrowers, but they are filled with holy water due to some religious mandate...someone who's been here longer could clarify that.  We have a weapons locker, but it's locked up pretty tight, being only accessible by a :v:, an admin, or a Hyperintelligent Shade of Blue.

If you should meet up with our resident Shivan, Carl, don't worry too much.  Just toss him your lunch, run, and pray he's not hungry.  Of course, you could be more adventurous and break into the locker and get a weapon, which, should you, I advise you pick one of the already bloody ones rather than mess up a perfectly clean one.

...that's it. (My first green beam blasting!  :D)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:44:01 pm by BurntCornMuffin »
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Welcome, AlexG.  It's always great to see a newbie who doesn't act like a newbie. :)

The only three requirements for experiencing the original music are 1) to use a FSPort version 3 or later; 2) to have warble_fs1 in your FreeSpace2 or fsport mod folder (which I see you have); and 3) to be running a 3.6.9 release candidate build.  Are you doing all three of those things?

Offline AlexG

@Muffin: I didn't put the files in their own directory because I am not running FSO, and my reading suggests that people who are not running FSO should not create mod folders. But thank you for your other information. I'll go get the movies in the new format from the thread you suggested. Thanks! Although... does the information for movies change considering I am not running FSO?

@Goober: (Boy do I feel bad calling someone Goober, even if it IS their name) I am running the latest version, 3.0.3. Warble is in place. And my candidate build is... is...

What the devil is a candidate build? I am running FS2 V 1.20 (or so the updater in the launcher tells me) but I don't know what you're asking me on point 3. Which means it is probably the problem. Could you tell me how to find my candidate build or, barring that, point me at a FAQ that can do the job for you? Thanks for your help, and your compliments.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow.  AlexG, you're doing everything correctly for a retail installation, and most people invariably screw something up with that.  Well done. :)

That solves the problem.  The original FS1 music is a feature that only activates when you are using a FSO build.  Since the code changed between FS1 and FS2, we had to add extra compatibility to the SCP for it to be able to play FS1 tracks again.

SCP release candidate builds can be found here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,97.0.html

Karajorma's FAQ is a highly recommended resource for all things FreeSpace...
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/intro.html

BTW, uh... why do you feel bad calling someone Goober? :nervous:

Offline AlexG

So I suppose the next step for me, then, is to install FSO. I should mention that I have never, ever, not a single one time gotten FSO to work. At all. The first time I tried it I messed things up so badly that once, when I was watching the hallfight cutscene, the Shivan that attacks the commandos actually looked right into the camera and said, "You stupid sod, you really have no idea what you're doing, have you?" It came out as a kind of growl but I am sure that's what he meant. Anyway, so, what precisely should I (and more importantly, should I not) download? Yeah, I'm going to be your problem student. I just know it.

Oh, and on a mostly off-topic note (and not completely off topic only because you asked)...
"Goober: 1)A person who avoids common sense at all cost. 2) A person acting goofy or foolish."
As in, From the series 'Frasier':
Scene Six - The Winnebago.
The officer is explaining to the Crane men.

Officer: Sorry about the misunderstanding.  These papers all check out,
         sir. [hands them over]
 Martin: Well, if there's nothing else, we're in a hurry to get to
         Sun Valley.
Frasier: But, not too much of a hurry. [laughs]
Officer: Well, drive safely.
 Martin: Thank you.

The policeman exits.

Martin: What a clown.  I can tell you ten things he did wrong right
         off the bat.
Frasier: Well, at least he was apologetic.
 Martin: Oh, these hick towns give any bozo a badge. [the officer
         appears at the window and overhears] A goober like that
         wouldn't last ten minutes in a real police force. [notices
         the peeved officer] ...without getting a promotion!
Officer: Your license! [hands it over]

FrasierL All I have to do now is to turn this boat
         around.
 Martin: Thirty miles to the next exit.
Frasier: I can't wait that long!
 Martin: Well, you can't do a U-ey on an interstate.
Frasier: That's twentieth century talk, Dad.  Welcome to the future!

We then see the Winnebago cut across the grass and into the other
lane.  However, a police car is following them.

Frasier: God, that felt great!  Wow, this is really quite an adventure,
         isn't it, Dad!

The police turn their sirens on.

Martin: It is now.
Frasier: Oh, dear God.
 Martin: All right, just relax, Frasier.  Now, I know cops.  Just let
         me do the talking, and we'll be out of here in two minutes.
Frasier: All right Dad, let's switch.

Martin moves into the driving seat.  The police officer comes to the
window, it is the same one that arrested them earlier.

Officer: Well, look who's here.  Do you boys know what you did wrong
         back there?
 Martin: Yeah, yeah, I know, a U-turn.
Officer: Nope, called me a goober!

Martin and Frasier look worried.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:25:02 am by AlexG »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Goober was an idiotic character from The Andy Griffith (sp?) show... the name means peanut, making Goob's name incredibly masculine. :p

Wikipedia is a wonderful thing.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Meh.  When I picked Goober, I knew it meant "peanut", but mostly I just wanted a silly word.  If it means "silly person" in a non-pejorative way, so much the better. ;)

Offline AlexG

Actually, I think the character you are thinking of is Gomer, not Goober.

*Gives Wikipedia a look*

Nope, you're right. I mean, we both are. Goober was Gomer's cousin, and he came on after Gomer left the show to get his own show. Shazam!

Anyway, I think I have the proper files now for FSO, but I have to ask this very important question: Am I going to screw things up if I install FSO while I already have pilots created, and am in the middle of a campaign?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Anyway, I think I have the proper files now for FSO, but I have to ask this very important question: Am I going to screw things up if I install FSO while I already have pilots created, and am in the middle of a campaign?

FSO pilots and FS2 pilots are not compatible, but you can still use them in their respective builds.  Just don't import a retail pilot into FSO, because it'll clear your campaign progress.

Offline AlexG

Well, I got FSO installed and working.

Kind of.

I've seen the screenshots, and I've heard how great this is, but I guess I just haven't got the hardware to make it function the way it should because... boy. Freezing... and when it isn't freezing, shutdowns... and when it isn't shutting down, being slow... and when it isn't being slow... well, then it looks awesome. I have to give kudos to the people who have worked on this, and I have to take kudos away from the people who left me with a computer that can't handle the graphics. Anyway, though, I still appreciate all the help everyone's given me. I think I'll just stick to my retail version, though. It's no fault of any of you developers, it's not a case of me thinking anything but good thoughts about your production, because it is, indeed, wonderful. And on that day, that glorious, happy day, when I come home with my b-e-a-utiful gaming machine, this will be the first thing that goes on it. But for now, I'll just stick with the retail version, and with the FS2 music in FS1 world. Or I'll disable the music and run the FS1 soundtrack in Winamp in the background. One of the two. I know it's not the truest experience possible but, I don't know... I kinda got to liking that mission where you encounter your first Shivan ships with the choir going "Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-whooooooooooooo-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh...." Kinda lent itself to the atmosphere, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm still going to hang around and be a part of this community. I do not want you to think it is like, "Well, thanks, but I will stick with the retail version. So... bye." No, I'm still much looking forward to getting to talk to other people in this very active Freespace community. I didn't think for sure any of you existed anymore. But you DO! And that pleases me.

Now, two more final questions.
1. Pray tell, is there any kind of Mod manager for Freespace2 other than FSO? Something where I could choose between the Freespace Port and Retail, for example? Really the only difference is the flight deck menu. Go on, ask me if I am the kind of person who could actually care about the flight deck menu. Yes, yes I am. I am aware that this is grounds for being committed but I don't care.
2. Where's the best place for a newbie to hang out around here? Any particular threads or subforums I should visit?

Thanks again to everyone who helped me, and for sharing some lovely TV trivia. Because TV trivia is cool.

I just haven't got the hardware to make it function the way it should because... boy. Freezing... and when it isn't freezing, shutdowns... and when it isn't shutting down, being slow... and when it isn't being slow... well, then it looks awesome.
Howdy Alex.  A simple suggestion, from a fellow semi-newb... run the Launcher and re-visit the Video tab.  Try toggling the Graphics drop-down.  I don't know when mode it's on for you (OpenGL/Direct3D8), but I've had much better success with OpenGL mode.

Now, two more final questions.
1. Pray tell, is there any kind of Mod manager for Freespace2 other than FSO? Something where I could choose between the Freespace Port and Retail, for example? Really the only difference is the flight deck menu. Go on, ask me if I am the kind of person who could actually care about the flight deck menu. Yes, yes I am. I am aware that this is grounds for being committed but I don't care.
2. Where's the best place for a newbie to hang out around here? Any particular threads or subforums I should visit?
  • The beauty of FSO's mod system is that by making a new folder for a mod within in your FreeSpace2 directory, retail FreeSpace2 effectively does not "see" or care about the new folder.  you can drop as many movies and vps in that mod folder as you like... it will still not break your retail.  If you run it again, you should find that retail works perfectly fine, so long as you've installed FSO and any mods correctly.
  • Obviously, you'll find plenty on this site in terms of forums.  In my experience in being here (for the past 3 weeks) there is no "pig pen" for newbs - it's a free-range farm here.  We all run wild.  ;7
    But you may also want to check out the forums at www.game-warden.com.  Also, I'm not sure if your an IRC buff, but if so you can also find some FS2ers on irc.maxgaming.net:6667 in these channels:
    #fs2source - topic: SCP
    #ssx - mostly people from http://www.shatteredstar.org, who talk about FS2 (as well as many other games)
    #Lobby_20 - usually vacant.  It's sort of the unofficial irc channel for meeting up with people to play an ip game of FSO; though http://fs2netd.game-warden.com/ is a much better option, and just moved to a rockin' new server. :)

Offline AlexG

Martellato, thanks for the info. I'll definitely get on IRC from time to time and chat with folks. So far as OpenGL and Direct3D8, I tried it with both of those settings and neither of them worked properly. Each one did its own wonderfully freaky things, however. I believe it was when I was running OpenGL that I actually had some polygons... I'm not sure how to describe it but it was like one point on the GTC Orff stretched out and connected to Alpha 2. Anyway, I appreciate your trying to help me, but I'm pretty sure this is just the way my machine has decided it's going to play. Which is to say, dirty and mean.

Free range is what I like to hear. There's nothing more frustrating than being in the newb containment area. Alright, that's not true, because I can think of about 500 things more frustrating than that but the point is, it's no fun. So, anyway, thanks for your info in this regard as well. Though I do have to say, that icon you used is just a tad... creepifying.  --> ;7

So, anyway, thanks for your info in this regard as well. Though I do have to say, that icon you used is just a tad... creepifying.  --> ;7
Thanks man, welcome aboard.  Yeah, that icon would be perfect if he just had a curly mustache too.  ;7

Offline AlexG

HOLY BUMPOPOLIS CAN O' BEANS! Yeah, I know, this is a major, MAJOR thread bump but I thought it was a good place to deliver 2 bits of very exciting news.

1) After a long time away from my computer because I screwed up my shoulder (I needed surgery in the end, and before the surgery and during healing time it was all manner of painful to type and play games and stuff) I am back. I know I was only here for like 3 days anyway but nonetheless, I really am here now and am ready to start playing and FREDing and stuff. Yay!

2) FSO works! I am not sure if it is my new computer (got it just a month ago so it would be Vista Premium Ready) with the fancy graphics card and stuff, or if it is the new version of FSO that was released, but either way it WORKS and it is BEAUTIFUL! Thank you, FSO programmers, my life is better because of you!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
HOLY BUMPOPOLIS CAN O' BEANS! Yeah, I know, this is a major, MAJOR thread bump but I thought it was a good place to deliver 2 bits of very exciting news.

1) After a long time away from my computer because I screwed up my shoulder (I needed surgery in the end, and before the surgery and during healing time it was all manner of painful to type and play games and stuff) I am back. I know I was only here for like 3 days anyway but nonetheless, I really am here now and am ready to start playing and FREDing and stuff. Yay!

2) FSO works! I am not sure if it is my new computer (got it just a month ago so it would be Vista Premium Ready) with the fancy graphics card and stuff, or if it is the new version of FSO that was released, but either way it WORKS and it is BEAUTIFUL! Thank you, FSO programmers, my life is better because of you!

Glad to hear it, and glad to see such a nice person re-appear.

How'd you install FSO? Just out of curiousity.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline AlexG

Why, I used your installer. Is there any other way to go? And the answer is, Of Course, but they're not as neat and tidy as the installer. I got the one that did the launcher and the files and everything in one convenient package. Thanks!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Why, I used your installer. Is there any other way to go? And the answer is, Of Course, but they're not as neat and tidy as the installer. I got the one that did the launcher and the files and everything in one convenient package. Thanks!

No problem. If you're ready to start modding, I suggest you pick a specialty (FREDing, modeling, texturing, UVWrapping, etc.) then go find a tutorial on how to do it.

Once you're a bit more confident, you should go either to the "Hosted Project" section of the forum, or go here, and find a project you're interested in, and join it.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline AlexG

Oh, I've already decided on FREDing... I'm a real dope when it comes to modeling and vertices and all that mathey stuff. I did the old FRED tutorial back when I still only had FS1... the one where thieves come and try to steal that Orion class cruiser from spacedock. I'll have to do it again, but I already have some ideas for single missions, and I'd love to join a project to help out with some FREDing. Sounds great!