Author Topic: need help with video card compatibility question  (Read 2845 times)

need help with video card compatibility question
Hi,
I'm just wondering... I don't want to buy this video card, and it doesn't support FS2...

32MB TNT2 nVidia M64 PCI video card

Does this video card have 3D acceleration?  it apparently has a lot of memory, 64MB, but will it play new games that require 3D acceleration, such as Freespace and Freespace 2?

I'm just interested in if it plays FS2   lol

Please don't just get, i want the opinion of someone who had/has this card.  Also, are there any special features such as TV out? (that's not really important, but just for information)

Thanks!
~Mystical

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
It does have 3D acceleration, but it's not very good. M64 is a budget TNT2, like the gf2 MX is to GF2. It's kinda old, so don't expect it to be lightning fast.

If you're getting a new card get a gf2 MX, something from ATI's Radeon line or KyroII, maybe. Not less than Geforce (I) level, really.

[This message has been edited by Ryx (edited 01-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ryx (edited 01-18-2002).]
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Listen, here's the situation... a friend of mine has a motherboard that has no AGP slot and all his ISA slaots are taken up...

he has a video card, but it doesn't support Freespace 2.  It does support Freespace 1 though... but he can't run FS2...

i said i'd get him a card, but I don't know which one to get! (it has to be PCI, and it has to be able to run Freespace 2)

what should I go for?  i saw the TNT2 and thought it was OK, but according to Rhyx it's not...

could i have the honest opinion of someone who has/had a PCI graphics card that ran Freespace 2?

what's a good one to get?

help!
thanks
~Mystical

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
I have the AGP version (on this comp) and so do 2 of my friends, I have the TNT2 Ultra (on my better comp),

The M64 is SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW, K6-2 450 and TNT2 M64 (AGP) run Half-life slitly slow (in 640*480!), I would expect it to 'work' but not entirly... get it at your own peril!

(UPGRADE THAT DAMN MOBO!!! getting a PCI card is just costing more in the long run...)

anyway, I though they stoped making those cards in 2000 ???

[This message has been edited by LAW ENFORCER (edited 01-18-2002).]
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

I would just get a new mobo, but my friend's dad won't   lol

so what 'good' PCI cards are there out there that run FS2?

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
See I would have to agree with the rest of the forumites on getting a better motherboard, but I too have only a pci slot, but right now it doesn't bother me because I can run Freespace2 with me onboard 8mb... anyhow here something worth checking out and hopefully it solves your problem. and yes I know its a wee tad expensive.
 http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/review.php3?t=2198  

Good Luck  
------------------
Max
Flash Developer
Ps6 Beginner

[This message has been edited by Max (edited 01-18-2002).]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Heh... good luck finding a PCI card nowadays that has decent 3D acceleration. There used to be 3dfx's Voodoo 3, but everyone makes things in AGP now... I should know, I was hunting around for a PCI card myself a few months back.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Does anyone have the Hercules GF3 Titanium 500? i've got one and when i play freespace2 the text in the game looks a bit distorted just wondering if thiscan be fixed, oh yeah the game loads up in Direct 3d cos thats all it can find.

------------------
"For 10,000 years we have thought the
long war and our hatred still knows no
succour. Those who have defied us shall
feel the full wrath of Chaos..."
-Abaddon the Despoiler.
"For 10,000 years we have thought the
long war and our hatred still knows no
succour. Those who have defied us shall
feel the full wrath of Chaos..."
-Abaddon the Despoiler.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have the standard Hercules Geforce3 (overclocked higher than the Ti500 ) and I also get some weird graphical effects, especially with the text as you said. One thing that really helps, at least for me, is to force one of the anti-aliasing options in the GF3 control panel. It does not alleviate the problem completely, but it makes it look much cleaner.

Originally posted by Setekh:
Heh... good luck finding a PCI card nowadays that has decent 3D acceleration. There used to be 3dfx's Voodoo 3, but everyone makes things in AGP now... I should know, I was hunting around for a PCI card myself a few months back.

I never said i wanted one with decent 3d acceleration... i just want it to be able to play FS2!

so no one has any ideas?

Offline Fafner

Mystical,
The best PCI 3D-card I know of is the Voodoo 5500. I have the AGP-version, but the PCI V5500 is actually almost as fast according to benchmarks i've read. The V5500 runs Freespace with 4xFSAA really nice on my Athlon 1200, it also worked OK on my old Celeron 466. Here is a link to a review of the Voodoo 5500 PCI: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1292&p=1

3dfx has been taken over by Nvidia so it may take some searching to find a Voodoo board these days (still possible though), if you find one you might get it cheap.   Ebay is also a good place to look for cheap Voodoo boards.

And Apothess, glide only works with 3dfx-boards, so its normal that your GF3 only work in D3D. One thing that might distort text is FSAA.

vbb survivor with 501 posts, registered november 1999

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
There's a PCI version of the GeForce 2 (well, equivalent) out... but I can't remember what it was called  .  Maybe part of the 'Hercules' range.

Originally posted by Fafner:
Mystical,
The best PCI 3D-card I know of is the Voodoo 5500. I have the AGP-version, but the PCI V5500 is actually almost as fast according to benchmarks i've read. The V5500 runs Freespace with 4xFSAA really nice on my Athlon 1200, it also worked OK on my old Celeron 466. Here is a link to a review of the Voodoo 5500 PCI: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1292&p=1

3dfx has been taken over by Nvidia so it may take some searching to find a Voodoo board these days (still possible though), if you find one you might get it cheap.   Ebay is also a good place to look for cheap Voodoo boards.

And Apothess, glide only works with 3dfx-boards, so its normal that your GF3 only work in D3D. One thing that might distort text is FSAA.

thanks for the information...

so it will run FS2?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I thought nVidia made some GeForce PCI cards?

I ran FS2 on a TNT 16MB and it worked fine.  Depending on your processor and memory, you may or may not be able to run in 1024x768...but 640x480 will work VERY nicely.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fafner

Yes a Voodoo 5500 pci will run FS2 fine, provided your CPU is fast enough offcourse (celeron 466mhz worked for me).
vbb survivor with 501 posts, registered november 1999