Author Topic: standalone server annoyances  (Read 910 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
standalone server annoyances
ive been trying to get a standalone server going on fs2net. i got it running on my old 2.4 ghz p4 256 megs ram (it had 512, but one module went bad on me) and running *gasp* on a fresh install of windows 98 (newer oses are hardly stable on that machine). i realised my ports were forwarded to this machine instead of the win 98 box, fixed that problem up. but the server doesnt seem to be showing up on fs2net. i can see it from this machine and host a game, but it wont show up in the fs2net active games screen. i could just set up a server and play and it would show up just fine.

from what i understand its the server which has to communicate with fs2net, and the host on a dedicated server only controls the game settings, and only needs to communicate with the server. is this correct? or is it not possible to connect to a standalone server on my own lan. my router only seems to let me forward packets to one machine on the lan (which are forwarded to the machine with the dedicated server), otherwise i get a port conflict. im assuming my router is configured properly, unless running a dedicated server uses other ports that im not aware of or needs any extra config.

other than that i do have a couple suggestions for the dedicated server panel. first of is there anyway to make it run in the background? its rather annoying it dont even have a minimize button. it would be cool if i could run it in the background or as a service. also any chance of havving a running server mode, where the host options are set up in a table or a script, so you can setup a mission rotation or an open dogfight server?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN